Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

2 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

Excellent! Would love to hear some reports from you about that.

1 hour ago, cheddatom said:

I've never done a proper tour before. There'll be a lot of travelling time between venues so no doubt I'll be on Basschat a lot!

Maybe do a day to day diary type post? Will def be interested to hear how it goes, that`s a great one to get.

• Like 6

Two theatre gigs over the weekend, at Wellingborough and then Cannock. Both well attended, and so

far the economic situation doesn't seem to be affecting ticket sales although the high energy bills haven't

really kicked in yet. 

We had a new PA guy with us for October and he's doing a great job - managed to help resolve a mysterious

booming on one of the gigs - why do bands always assume it's the bass player though? Of course it wasn't,

and it got sorted just fine.  Managed to remember to bring the right bass this time too. 😅

Wellingborough 2022.jpg

• Like 11

1 hour ago, casapete said:

Two theatre gigs over the weekend, at Wellingborough and then Cannock. Both well attended, and so

far the economic situation doesn't seem to be affecting ticket sales although the high energy bills haven't

really kicked in yet. 

We had a new PA guy with us for October and he's doing a great job - managed to help resolve a mysterious

booming on one of the gigs - why do bands always assume it's the bass player though? Of course it wasn't,

and it got sorted just fine.  Managed to remember to bring the right bass this time too. 😅

Wellingborough 2022.jpg

Have you lost one of the girls. ?

Cello players were a delight to watch. When you see musicians that are really happy at what they do and miming all the words and dancing along while playing its very infectious. Sorry to say Pete but they were the highlight for me at Glasgow. Made me feel happy.

Obviously the full band are brilliant and a great night.

Dave

2 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Have you lost one of the girls. ?

Cello players were a delight to watch. When you see musicians that are really happy at what they do and miming all the words and dancing along while playing its very infectious. Sorry to say Pete but they were the highlight for me at Glasgow. Made me feel happy.

Obviously the full band are brilliant and a great night.

Dave

We’ve had a few gigs with only one cellist due to illness Dave, but hoping to be back with

them both very soon. It’s always better with two of them, even though they get in my

way sonically! They’re both great players and lovely people too, so a pleasure to have

in the band.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, casapete said:

We’ve had a few gigs with only one cellist due to illness Dave, but hoping to be back with

them both very soon. It’s always better with two of them, even though they get in my

way sonically! They’re both great players and lovely people too, so a pleasure to have

in the band.

At least you resisted the pressure to wear a curly wig and spangled frock… 💃 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mickeyboro said:

At least you resisted the pressure to wear a curly wig and spangled frock… 💃 

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

What he does at home is his own business :laugh1:

Dave

Naturally I save that for Sundays only....

• Haha 1

I had two this weekend, Friday night was awesome, venue was packed, the audience were amazing and got very involved which was brilliant. We were booked last minute due to a cancellation (another band had a member who broke his ribs so get well soon), both the owners and I promoted the event instantly and made sure the venue was packed, we got loads of thanks and appreciation afterwards. 

Saturday night was awful, it had been booked for a long time and I have been promoting it non stop. When we arrived, the pub had a sign outside still advertising the band from 2 weeks ago... the area set aside for the band had 2 people playing pool still, we then had to move the pool table before playing! The place was empty other than a group of 18-19 year olds snorting cocaine in the toilets, each time I went to the toilet they were in there... in between their communal toilet visits, they would be either in the garden, or at the massively overpriced cocktail bar next door who are hotter on drug use. Unfortunately we found out after starting that the place has a reputation for drug use, so it is actually avoided by many in the area! Looking at the positive though, we got paid for a practice!

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Tim2291 said:

Saturday night was awful, it had been booked for a long time and I have been promoting it non stop. When we arrived, the pub had a sign outside still advertising the band from 2 weeks ago... the area set aside for the band had 2 people playing pool still, we then had to move the pool table before playing! The place was empty other than a group of 18-19 year olds snorting cocaine in the toilets, each time I went to the toilet they were in there... in between their communal toilet visits, they would be either in the garden, or at the massively overpriced cocktail bar next door who are hotter on drug use. Unfortunately we found out after starting that the place has a reputation for drug use, so it is actually avoided by many in the area! Looking at the positive though, we got paid for a practice!

I remember those days fondly. Having to move the pool table, set up the venues own PA because they couldn't be bothered and ending up having to set my gear up right in front of the toilet door and then playing to nobody for 3 hours.

Happy days 😁

Edited by gjones
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, gjones said:

I remember those days fondly. Having to move the pool table, set up the venues own PA because they couldn't be bothered and ending up having to set my gear up right in front of the toilet door and then playing to nobody for 3 hours.

Happy days 😁

As long as they pay, it isn't really an issue. Just frustrating when a venue doesn't advertise a gig, and then doesn't stop the drug use that drives it's clients away. Won't be long until they're shut down if they continue at the rate they are!

I've just got back from the second leg of a UK tour. This time we took in Manchester, Blackpool, Glasgow and Edinburgh. I massively preferred this run, perhaps because it was shorter.

IMG_7292.jpg.64f38027933bf3fe1b92316ea8fd8875.jpg 

I took my Hofner with my small Orange Terror rig (knowing that Edinburgh would have the 8x10 Orange). No issues with the bass throughout. All four shows had exceptional sound. I did laugh at Edinburgh; the Orange rig has a bit of tape over the traditional Orange symbols explaining "Highs - Mids - Lows". Surely us Bass players are cleverer than that, right?

thumbnail_IMG_7404.jpg.bdb90f8147528e3c1c87d0c1ecef674f.jpg

My new wireless was great and no major issues throughout. Respectful sized audience in Manchester, busy in Blackpool and the two dates in Scotland were small but very enthusiastic crowds. 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Cat Burrito said:

I've just got back from the second leg of a UK tour. This time we took in Manchester, Blackpool, Glasgow and Edinburgh. I massively preferred this run, perhaps because it was shorter.

I did laugh at Edinburgh; the Orange rig has a bit of tape over the traditional Orange symbols explaining "Highs - Mids - Lows". Surely us Bass players are cleverer than that, right?

Ummm.....no? I can never figure out what knob does what, when I have to use them in a dark venue.

By the way, I saw that picture of you on my Facebook newsfeed at the weekend. I'm a Facebook friend of the Photographer. I said 'I know that guy........' 😃

13 hours ago, gjones said:

By the way, I saw that picture of you on my Facebook newsfeed at the weekend. I'm a Facebook friend of the Photographer. I said 'I know that guy........' 😃

Bannermans have some insanely talented photographers. The last guy was good and I said that to this guy, joking that he better be as good and I think he was actually better!

15 hours ago, Cat Burrito said:

IMG_7292.jpg.64f38027933bf3fe1b92316ea8fd8875.jpg 

I took my Hofner with my small Orange Terror rig (knowing that Edinburgh would have the 8x10 Orange). No issues with the bass throughout. All four shows had exceptional sound. I did laugh at Edinburgh; the Orange rig has a bit of tape over the traditional Orange symbols explaining "Highs - Mids - Lows". Surely us Bass players are cleverer than that, right?

My new wireless was great and no major issues throughout. Respectful sized audience in Manchester, busy in Blackpool and the two dates in Scotland were small but very enthusiastic crowds. 

Nice one. I have noticed that you do get some great pics from your gigs.

Out of curiosity what wireless were you using ?

Dave

3 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Nice one. I have noticed that you do get some great pics from your gigs.

Out of curiosity what wireless were you using ?

Dave

Just a cheap one from Amazon - Lekato. The last one lasted two years and I figure they are about as cost effective as cables now. The latency is much better than it used to be. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Interesting, @Cat Burrito- good point about cost of these vs cables. I guess if you’re happy to tour them then they’re good enough for me in the local spit and sawdust! At that price I think I’ll get some… if nothing else, be easier to walk and play whilst soundchecking - currently only manage 15’ in front of the PA when I’m mixing coz that’s when the cable runs out!

Edited by moley6knipe
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, moley6knipe said:

Interesting, @Cat Burrito- good point about cost of these vs cables. I guess if you’re happy to tour them then they’re good enough for me in the local spit and sawdust! At that price I think I’ll get some… if nothing else, be easier to walk and play whilst soundchecking - currently only manage 15’ in front of the PA when I’m mixing coz that’s when the cable runs out!

I wouldn’t be without mine. I got the Boss offering: a bit more expensive than some but it’s still going strong 3 years on: it has great range and a charge lasts more than 6 hours. It automatically choses a channel based on what else is operating in the environment and to date, I have never had issues with radio interference (hope that wasn’t tempting fate). It doesn’t seem to alter tone and there is no lag that I can detect. Being able to walk around the room during soundcheck is a real bonus both for setting the mix and for getting your bass tone right. I don’t know whether this is unique to Barefaced cabs but what you hear on stage is very different to what the audience are hearing in the middle of the room.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, moley6knipe said:

I use a Smooth Hound wireless now for 4 yrs with the Glam covers band mainly to save me from falling over a cable while wearing platform boots but i stick with cables with punk band usually because the punk band play in smaller pub venues where space is tight. 

I would use the wireless all the time but it runs thru batteries quite a bit. I get around 6-9 hrs of playing with it and that's me switching it off during breaks. To be fair if battery indicator shows 50% or less i just change them.

Dave

• Like 3