Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

2 hours ago, BCH said:

Gig at Sharnbrook Mill Theatre Bedfordshire. Fab venue, sound & nearly full.

HELP...We had an issue...any ideas???????????????

Our guitarist used a 70's strat & Tele the pickups, picked up a pulsing 4Khz signal, sounding like a cricket! We isolated mains, guitar, no hearing loop, or modem, phones, lights, wireless for iPad, no backline or monitors etc. I tried a passive p/u bass, same issue.

Anybody had this experience 

IMG_0473.jpg.13520a9270b2241b55c672cfb160f95c.jpg

PHOTO-2022-09-17-20-20-23.thumb.jpg.ba91761b31da3500a5a5a5fdbf211fff.jpg

2 minutes ago, BCH said:

We have no amps/backline or monitors...digital desk to FoH powered cabs, all phones off!  The 4Khz was definitely pre pickup

Watch or some other wearable electronic device? I've been in a band where the guitarist's choice of time-piece was a major source of unwanted noise through the amps. We ended up instigating a "no watches on stage" rule partly due to eliminating potential problems like this and partly because we ultimately thought it looked better.

My watch occasionally buzzes on stage telling me that there are unsafe volume levels, but it has never made any interference (and it has a cellular connection).  Had noise from something sitting next to a mixer.

If you say it was pre-pickup, does that mean turning the volume down on the instrument removed it?

I guess there had to be some large transmitting element nearby - wireless systems in the venue (like communications things) or local taxi area out of the back? Maybe even electricity substation, although with those fixed issues, I assume someone in the venue would have warned you about them.

I played at a local music bar in Edinburgh. There was a Spanish guy, I'd never met before, on the desk and he got a great sound onstage (I had to ask him to turn the bass down through my monitor - yes THAT good). Sound on stage was great, hope it was great out front too.

As I was leaving I saw what I thought was a huge band bringing all their gear in - there must have been ten of them - and they were in a heated discussion. What I only learned later, was that they were two bands not one, as there had been a double booking for the slot after us. The bands were not happy and after some discussion they got to play half a set each, which must have been a real pain in the butt.

The moral of this story is, if you're playing at a venue, check the Facebook site on the day of the gig so that you don't get a nasty surprise when you turn up.

Edited by gjones
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

My watch occasionally buzzes on stage telling me that there are unsafe volume levels, but it has never made any interference (and it has a cellular connection).  Had noise from something sitting next to a mixer.

If you say it was pre-pickup, does that mean turning the volume down on the instrument removed it?

I guess there had to be some large transmitting element nearby - wireless systems in the venue (like communications things) or local taxi area out of the back? Maybe even electricity substation, although with those fixed issues, I assume someone in the venue would have warned you about them.

Yes, if the guitarist turned the vol down it it reduced & disappeared. Its a theatre in a remote village no taxi's or sub stations...which puts on many productions 

But I think you are correct it has to be wireless / modem/ backstage comms etc...even though we were assured all was off! I will pursue...thx

Outdoor backyard private party , piano trio. Nice little gig , played from 8-12 beside the pool, it was starting to get a little cool but fall is underway. Fingers were cold by the end of the night. But a sweet little gig!

• Like 4

Played at The Stage Door in Southampton on Friday. What a great little place!

All PA and lights were in house, so just had to bring a backline.

A really helpful and knowledgeable sound engineer helped create a great sound for the band and the place was really busy.

First pic is from my phone after we'd soundchecked, second pic is a still from a video taken during the show.

image.png.936d1c194c0a4d6f7bf35e18091257a3.png

• Like 7

5 hours ago, BCH said:

Gig at Sharnbrook Mill Theatre Bedfordshire. Fab venue, sound & nearly full.

HELP...We had an issue...any ideas???????????????

Our guitarist used a 70's strat & Tele the pickups, picked up a pulsing 4Khz signal, sounding like a cricket! We isolated mains, guitar, no hearing loop, or modem, phones, lights, wireless for iPad, no backline or monitors etc. I tried a passive p/u bass, same issue.

Anybody had this experience 

IMG_0473.jpg.13520a9270b2241b55c672cfb160f95c.jpg

My Mesa mpulse picks up low hum when connected to same 4 bar as one of our powered monitors. Doesn't do it with powered pa cabs or any other amps. I tend to plug bass amp direct to wall socket on its own to avoid such issues.

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Thanks 1

My 80s Goth revivalists duo played as part of Swindon Shuffle last night. Work has been so busy I'd clocked up 19hrs overtime in the past 36hrs (I actively avoid spending more time at work than I have to these days) and we hadn't rehearsed since July. Our tech spec was probably too ambitious for a multi band bill where a line check was all that was going to happen but we soldiered through it. I lost the bass completely at a couple of points and I think the young soundman was a little out of his depth with a PA that was not really up to the job but we were professional to get through it and make a fair few new followers / fans. Against all odds, I'd say we triumphed. 

IMG_7096.thumb.JPG.9477df79c00e6ab3efa9d4b8aef673a2.JPG

• Like 7

Not the best, but not the worst.

Local gig. We arrive to find there's two bands assigned to the same slot of 2x 45' sets. It's a music venue in town where the kit and backline are provided, so it's easy to set up. Manager says how about we play one set each, full pay. Ok, we went first, soon after 10pm. I was home at 11.30. Not what I had in mind but no complaints.

• Like 8

It really was a game of two halves last night. First set was dogged with problems, singer’s wireless mic set up was getting interference from somewhere and kept clipping. Spotted it during sound check but there was a compère as it was a charity do and we didn’t have sufficient time to sort it as we had to sort his sound. Also had issues with one of the lighting booms unraveling itself with a subsequent crash to the ground. Fortunately the second set went fine but singer was a bit gutted (it was a local gig for him) as he’d heard negative comments about the first spot. C’est la vie, people went home happy so all ends well and all that, also raised over £2k for the cancer charity. It was the first gig where I’d used my Status that I bought new last year...it really was a tone monster but perhaps a bit OTT for a glam band, the leds did help on a dark stage though. Only one crap photo as we had no partners on this one.557DCD3C-4A29-441D-AFB0-AE418EC6F2DF.thumb.jpeg.c2df9c18ec1e6fb1d773b551f9601fd1.jpeg

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, martthebass said:

It really was a game of two halves last night. First set was dogged with problems, singer’s wireless mic set up was getting interference from somewhere and kept clipping. Spotted it during sound check but there was a compère as it was a charity do and we didn’t have sufficient time to sort it as we had to sort his sound. Also had issues with one of the lighting booms unraveling itself with a subsequent crash to the ground. Fortunately the second set went fine but singer was a bit gutted (it was a local gig for him) as he’d heard negative comments about the first spot. C’est la vie, people went home happy so all ends well and all that, also raised over £2k for the cancer charity. It was the first gig where I’d used my Status that I bought new last year...it really was a tone monster but perhaps a bit OTT for a glam band, the leds did help on a dark stage though. Only one crap photo as we had no partners on this one.557DCD3C-4A29-441D-AFB0-AE418EC6F2DF.thumb.jpeg.c2df9c18ec1e6fb1d773b551f9601fd1.jpeg

Oooohhhh shiny bass neck. Nice one. Post a pic of the bass for my GAS. 😆 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dmccombe7 said:

I do like the look of them plus it's got shiny bits and I'm guessing no truss rod ?

No, it does have a truss Rod (as did my old, departed Streamline). Action was a bit higher than I’d like when it arrived, first thing I did was give it a little turn. Like most (all?) Status basses, once set you can forget it (unless you change string make/gauge).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mcnach said:

Not the best, but not the worst.

Local gig. We arrive to find there's two bands assigned to the same slot of 2x 45' sets. It's a music venue in town where the kit and backline are provided, so it's easy to set up. Manager says how about we play one set each, full pay. Ok, we went first, soon after 10pm. I was home at 11.30. Not what I had in mind but no complaints.

Ahhh.....so you were one of the double booked bands after us. Glad you got paid your full fee.

See my post above.

Edited by gjones
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

3rd gig of the weekend.

Sunday September 18th

Maple Road 
3:00
Boots Q 'n Boogie / Bailey Hall
Waubeka WI

1. 20 minutes travel

2. Appreciative crowd

3. Nice hall

4. New clean bathrooms

5.We sounded good

6. I was happy with my playing.

7. Above average pay.

3 gig weekends are a bit much.

Blue

20220918_142833.jpg

20220918_143325.jpg

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

I do a gig in the house band for a blues jam in the local dive , been doing it for about twenty five years now. Some old friends from Austin Texas were in town and dropped by after doing a festival in New Brunswick.

Was an absolute joy to get them up.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, gjones said:

Ahhh.....so you were one of the double booked bands after us. Glad you got paid your full fee.

See my post above.

It must have been!

Sound guy was a bit overwhelmed but he managed ok although he took a very long time setting up, he wasn't expecting a 7 piece band with horns and multiple vocals. Stressful night for him! 

But there was no heated discussion that I could see. They were 5, we are 7, but when I arrived (9.15) it was just them and 3 of us and a lot of equipment, and it was all pretty friendly: it was all out of our hands and we let the venue take care of it. Did it look ugly before I arrived? There was no sign of bad feelings when I arrived.

17 minutes ago, mcnach said:

It must have been!

Sound guy was a bit overwhelmed but he managed ok although he took a very long time setting up, he wasn't expecting a 7 piece band with horns and multiple vocals. Stressful night for him! 

But there was no heated discussion that I could see. They were 5, we are 7, but when I arrived (9.15) it was just them and 3 of us and a lot of equipment, and it was all pretty friendly: it was all out of our hands and we let the venue take care of it. Did it look ugly before I arrived? There was no sign of bad feelings when I arrived.

Not bad tempered discussion just intense. Usually the band is raring to get on stage as we are packing up but there was no sign of any bands after we finished. It was only as I was leaving that I saw all the gear, and what I assume was the Hendrix Band, in a band huddle. They were probably wondering if they should accept the 'half a set' deal, or just take the cash and go home.

Sounds like everything got resolved in a cool and reasonable manner and everybody went home happy.

• Like 2