Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

We had an odd one too. We were playing as a support band, so condensed our set down to the fastest, liveliest songs we do.

As I was unloading the gear I asked the sound girl where she wanted our stuff. She looked bemused and said "anywhere on the stage, why?" I explained that we were just supporting, so didn't want to get in the way of the headline band. That flummoxed her. She hadn't been told there would be a support band. The headliners had pulled out, so she'd booked a soul/motown band who do a couple of longs sets, have loads of members and don't use a support act. Plus they'd be bringing there own crowd, so if we didn't play their style of music (we don't), we might be in for a bit of hassle.

To cut a long story short, nothing of the kind happened. "Our" crowd outnumbered theirs for our set, we had people dancing and it all went down fairly well. Add to that the fact that I recognised the drummer when he came in (friendly bloke) and then recognised the trombone player too. And then the guitarist spent his time photographing our guitarist while he was soloing on his Gibson Trini Lopez. All in all a friendly crew. Apart form the bass player who didn't have so much as the time of day for any of us...

We hung around to watch their set, which was a good, tight, one. Except for one number where they fell apart at the end. I don't think most of the crowd would have noticed particularly, except the singer apologised: "Sorry about that. I don't know what's going on up here."

I don't know what you do, but if we get something slightly wrong we just pretend that it's "our way" and trust no-one notices!

We had an odd gig last night - The Bitter End in Romford. A freebie to get us into the soundman's books as he does a few pubs locally. We hadn't rehearsed for a few weeks and it showed - some terrible cock-ups from some of the band (even me, to my shame) - coming in at the wrong time etc. Then again, some of the set was extremely good, as well as we've ever played, inlcuding a couple we haven't gigged before. Funny that. Anyway, no-one seemed to notice the cockups, the soundman was very complimentary and booked us for two more gigs at other places.

But - my first gig with my complete rig of Barefaced Compact with the newly acquired Midget. Raised off the stage on a couple of milkcrates - sounded absolutely superb.

Friday night in Blackpool for Dick Venom & The Terrortones.

Due to traffic and then our sat-nav being completely out of date for Blackpool's one way system (first it tried to get us to turn left into a turning that no longer existed and then the wrong way up a one way street) we were almost an hour later than the time we'd been asked to turn up at. However it tuned out that the PA was only just finishing setting up as we arrived so IMO we got there at exactly the right time!

Pretty good gig overall. We played well and no real mistakes except for the guitar cutting out at the end of the last number. Mr Venom was a little upset that the crowd didn't appear to react much - but compared with the response that the other two (much better known) bands got, I think it was just down to it being a predominantly goth audience. However they made up for it by buying more merch than at any other gig we've done recently. The landlord at the venue loved us and wants to put us on again and the band who played after us who were from Köln in Germany though we were great and gave us loads of contacts for German gigs...

With none of the bands being local we shared the providing of the drums and backline between the bands - I supplied the bass rig. The headlining band's bass player had the weediest sounding bass I have ever encountered (a Fender Jazz). He had to have the gain on full and the master volume up over 12 o'clock on my amp to get anything like a usable volume - my settings are the gain on half which overdrives the pre-amp valves nicely and the master volume never reaches the half-way point no matter how loarge the stage or how loud the other instruments are.

On Friday The Junkyard Dogs played the Charlie Butler, Mortlake, in that London. www.JunkYardDogsLondon.co.uk

Happy Jack is the bassist and I play one of the guitars. My parents are down for a visit so they came with my partner. Rick the other guitarist brought a few people so already the small pub was looking fuller than it normally does!

It did actually fill up quite nicely. Now that I'm a guitarist I spent most of each set unhappy with my sound ( :P ) but listening back to the recording of the gig after the first set the overall sound of the band as a whole is quite good.

The pub has a limiter - bypassed - even so we were not as loud as we would normally be. The punters were in to it, parents loved it, got paid and offered another date, so another one chalked up as a success :)

Played the Red Lion in Witney nr Oxford last night. Really enjoyed it although there were a few minor issues.

A big plus was that the band due to play at the other (slightly better) local venue, Fat Lills, cancelled so we picked up some live music lovers from there.

First issue was that the venue had it's own PA but when we arrived we were told nobody was there to run it so we'd have to do it ourselves. Not really a biggie but would have been nice to know before as we'd have bought our own with which we're more familiar. All went well but our singers mic cut out second song so he used mine til interval and we had a sudden outbreak of feedback midway thru firs set and mixer was behind bar. Luckily our mate sorted this for us with some quick thinking.

Only other issue was me making a hash of Mr Brightside (complex stuff i don't struggle with but chugging thru chords always trips me up for some reason).

Beyond that it was a great night. Dancefloor was packed with lurvely ladies all night (our singer and guitarist are both v good looking), we brought out 11 new tunes to a great reception and our facebook account grew by 19 peeps today.

Happy days

Another cracking gig for Dick Venom & The Terrortones at the 12 Bar in London.

Played really well, except for the new song that we're currently using as a set closer - must practice it some more. Pretty good sound on stage and everyone we spoke to said it sounded good out front. Our drummer brought his own stands this time so there wasn't too much kit rebuilding going on during the set! Sold a whole load of CDs. Back in Nottingham before 4 in the morning. Happy.

Bit disapointing... 5 (yes five) punters :(

It reminded me of a recent discussion - the owner was friendly enough but the first thing he said was "where are all your mates". To be fair, the way it had worked out nobody could come. Eventually my wife and her friend were persuaded to turn up so that made his original 3 into 5.

This was right in the town centre of Hamilton in Scotland. The whole place was dead. What's happened to Friday nights?

We gave it our best shot and our very small audience enjoyed themselves. Doubt we'll be asked back unfortunately.

Edited by thepurpleblob

We had a splendid gig at the Good Ship in Kilburn! Kit had a bad throat so wasn't talking much and had her head buried in an electric steamer most of the time before we went on, when she wasn't necking Kahlua with ice :D

We played a blinding set, probably our best technically executed set ever, and the vibe was wickid! Great crowd too, and a lot of them.

Happy Jack and Paul the Drums turned up unannounced and that was lovely! 51m0n came up from Brighton too, thanks mate!

Can't wait for the next one at the Half Moon in Putney!

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1331385594' post='1572160']
Another cracking gig for Dick Venom & The Terrortones at the 12 Bar in London.

Played really well, except for the new song that we're currently using as a set closer - must practice it some more. Pretty good sound on stage and everyone we spoke to said it sounded good out front. Our drummer brought his own stands this time so there wasn't too much kit rebuilding going on during the set! Sold a whole load of CDs. Back in Nottingham before 4 in the morning. Happy.
[/quote]

Excellent mate!

Went OKish I suppose.

Local pub that puts music on regularly, 3 bands. I was covering, half a set, in a friend's band (originals) whose bass player left a few weeks ago. We only had one rehearsal, so playing and all things musical it went well. Drummer is very good and made life very easy.

Downside. Not very well attended despite being free. Even more alarming after the second support band the place emptied of anyone who was there for the music. We played to a handful of people. Furthermore, the drummer who also played in the support act before us was beginning to feel it towards the end, he'd been playing for 2hours. Just before the last song the guitarist showed a complete lack of tact and professionalism when he turned to the drummer and told him to stop being such a dick and quit with the stupid face pulling. Apparently people could see his 'face pulling'. What people these were I'm not sure because most of the people in the pub were down the far end.

Upside. I did get a few quid that near enough paid for the meal the Mrs and I had, in a different pub, whilst the first support act was on. In fact the meal was very nice and the highlight of the evening really :)

Edited by Marvin

Played last night with one of the covers bands I'm in. They play a mixture of rock and indie tunes.

I usually have such a hoot but for some reason, I had a really bad gig. Not that you'd notice because we went down a storm and got called back on for a couple of encores.

I just couldn't get a decent sound on stage. It's one of those gigs where I've never been happy as it's an acoustic nightmare. Most of the time, I just grin and bear it and the crowd seem to love the band but I dunno, it just got to me last night. Maybe a combination of the sound and also a couple of p*ssed punters using the stage as a place to put their coats and bags and also knock the mic stand into my face on a couple of occasions.

Hey ho. Sometimes it just goes that way I guess, can't win em all.

T

Had my first outting with the Durty Mac last week. Our debut gig went well to about 100 folk so fingers crossed it will get better and better.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0anAZOzoL1c&context=C41da341ADvjVQa1PpcFOA4VMLfPRG0st6btiJiItfzaGC9b1czY0=[/media]

Edited by munkonthehill

Friday was the prog band. Went pretty well though as ever for us we don't get together often enough really, so there were some rough edges. Had to drop a load of numbers in the end, and run two sets into one abridged version. Took far too much gear. Had three of four basses out, but in the end only used the Wal & bass pedals from the bass "pit" below.

Week before did two nights with the band I do reglar stand in's for. Was pre warned of one new one, but that was a piece of p155 learnt in the length of the song tso no problem.

Saturday night at a British Legion, which was a bit wierd for a rock covers band but there you go. Had a couple of people along from another club videoing the gig with a view to more work. Don't think the drummer (who is also a long term dep really) realised as he and I were sat chatting with them in the break and they were enthusing about how tight the band was, knew the stuff, no panicky looks in the middle of songs, etc., and he pipes up with the fact that neither he nor I were regular members & I hadn't played with them since New Years Eve....OOPS! :lol:

Played a Memorial gig last night and despite a few mistakes (the free form ending to Rock n Roll was entertaining) we went down very well and received a number of enquiries from some of the audience.

The Rickenbacker through my Genz Benz sounded great and I received some very nice compliments about my tone :)

How was my gig last night? Cancelled, that`s how it was :angry:

Drummer developed a bad case of conjunctivitis late Friday, and was told no driving, bathe the eye regularly in a sterile environment - that counted the venue out - and any signs of it getting worse, get to Moorfields Eye Hospital straightaway.

Feck!

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1328030860' post='1520613']
Freezing cold outside and somewhat draughty in the pub. Plus a feeling of resentment amongst the few punters that were there, due to the fact that one of their friends had apparently been barred. Not very good as an atmosphere for the hilarious comedy songs to which Dik and I were going to treat them.!
[/quote]

Is that Dik Guru by any chance? Although I'm sure there's several comedy Dicks in the Birmingham area...

Pub in Elland ,the Drop Inn , where we tried out our new material.

It's not really a gig pub - they only ever have us on about twice a year at their small beer festivals. We've said 'other bands are available' etc etc but they just want us.

The Gary Glitter song got universal laughter which is what we'd wanted and hoped for. We figured our brand of humour would win the day. If folk had got upset we'd pull it.

Lonely Boy went fine but I don't think we do it well.

Star of the show was my heavy rock version of 'Winner takes it all' which brought the roof down just as we'd thought it would.

Got another gig in......... (looks at watch) 1hr and 10 mins. Just over the road from me so we'll try the same stuff on a different - more gig aware - audience.

Old Millstone, Macclesfield last night, Ship Inn next Saturday.

Last night was a cracker. It was one of those gigs that didn't hold out much hope at first, with only a handful of people in, it was looking bleak when we started, but an hour and a half later the place was rocking. We played well, nice balanced sound which crept up in volume as we went on of course, but hey ho, it's rock'n'roll in it?

[quote name='munkonthehill' timestamp='1331412974' post='1572675']
Had my first outting with the Durty Mac last week. Our debut gig went well to about 100 folk so fingers crossed it will get better and better.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0anAZOzoL1c&context=C41da341ADvjVQa1PpcFOA4VMLfPRG0st6btiJiItfzaGC9b1czY0=[/media]
[/quote]

Nice one man. Enjoyed that. :)

I've waited over 50 years to say, last night's gig was a blast! Raised over £400 for charity and I am no longer a (gig) virgin!
Punk covers band got people up and moving can't be bad..
Regards
Peter