Why become a member? ×

Bad first rehearsals?

bubinga5

Went to a rehearsal last week...i was really looking forward to it... as ive been bandless for a while...So i get a call from a guy in Bristol looking for a hip hop funk bassist kind of thing..there into stuff like quantic soul and general modern soul funk

i drove from Chester where i was working, got there late which was not good (i got stuck in traffic), as i hate being late for anything, nevermind a first rehearsal..i said i was very sorry...

Found the place eventually..Walked in with my gear to a room that is the old police station in bristol...the first thing i noticed was the smell...Very strong Skunk weed..they were drinking also...the place looked like it had a major drug session the previous night..i mean there were hundreds of cans, bottles of booze, ashtrays everywhere...

i would NEVER!!! invite someone to a rehearsal unless it was a place i thought was good for me and them to play..

Now i do smoke from time to time, and am a big believer that it adds to my creative mind, but you have to keep it in check...these guys were really high..and they were drinking scrumpy cider..

started a random groove going, and it got pretty messy..the drummer was loosing time, the guitarist's was thrashing around with no sort of musical direction...did i say there was 2 guitarist's..(my worst nightmare)..The female singer was scatting also...There were some parts where it got quite good when there was a little space in the music, because they could groove.... but generally it was just a mess..

what do you do in these situations..who am i to give anyone any musical direction, but i know when something is not working...they were lovely people who were really passionate about this sort of music, but they needed a kick up the arse to say open your eyes..

The guitarist said to me after.."he loved getting lost in the groove"...and as i do love getting lost in the groove, it has has to have some boundries and structure.. even if its a ten min funkathon...

i hate to slag anyone else off, as every one enjoys there music in different ways, but i just think drugs and alchohol are best left alone when when playing music..thinking up ideas when stoned are great, but if you want to play and record them, you got to be sober...well drink free anyway, as i have recorded very slightly stoned once and i was super sharp. :)

anyone else had any bad first rehearsals?

Over 10 years ago I auditioned, in London, for a band from Richmond.

I got there on time, as did the drummer and guitarist.

I leant my 1973 Fender Jazz up again the bass stack which was near the door as we chatted and waited for the singer....

...who, after a wait of about 20 minutes, pushed open the rehearsal room door dramatically with a big "Hello", marched in accidently kicking my Fender across the rehearsal room floor.

That was probably the best sound we made all evening. I didn't stay with the band.

Mike

That sounds like my ideal first rehearsal to be honest! Sounds like it isn't for you, though. If it doesn't feel right at the first rehearsal, just cut your losses I say. Better than things not working out further down the road, more time wasted then.

[quote name='Wil' post='758715' date='Feb 26 2010, 11:17 PM']That sounds like my ideal first rehearsal to be honest! Sounds like it isn't for you, though. If it doesn't feel right at the first rehearsal, just cut your losses I say. Better than things not working out further down the road, more time wasted then.[/quote]
Yeah each to there own Will...just out of interest what bit sounded like your ideal rehearsal...they were such a good laugh and i talked with the guys about music for ages...they loved there GO GO too...but i got to be honest i mentioned maybe working around some basic chord changes as a starter...we did and he(i mean both) werent playing the chords and it sounded bad...bad ears and lack of knowledge..

its ok to turn up to a rehearsal if you have a very good ear and no theory knowledge..but to have neither is a no no...you cant play at the end of the day...add that with pissed and stoned....why and how, are you playing an instrument ??..

im no pro, but i think you should approach it as one if you want to learn and want to play some good music

Edited by bubinga5

I pretty much agree with Wil here. If you want some professionalism / structure with it then very probably this isn't the act for you. If you just want to drink and get high then it sounds like the ideal band.

I agree, keep this away from rehearsal but I am sure there are others who see it all as part of the social experience. We have a few beers at rehearsals in my band but it really is a can each or a couple of small bottles at most and never more than that.

[quote name='Wil' post='758756' date='Feb 27 2010, 12:22 AM']It sounded like they were having a good time - that's what it's all about to me. Depends what you want out of a band really.[/quote]

Thing is, I'd be happy to accept that this sort of rehearsal is pretty fun, but I think the major issue (to me at least) is that they did this in a first rehearsal which is a bit squiffy to me!

[quote name='josh3184' post='758772' date='Feb 27 2010, 01:03 AM']Thing is, I'd be happy to accept that this sort of rehearsal is pretty fun, but I think the major issue (to me at least) is that they did this in a first rehearsal which is a bit squiffy to me![/quote]

I've auditioned for bands that have actually given me a disclaimer along the lines of "we like a bit of a smoke during practice, we hope this isnt an issue!" Luckily, Its not that bigger deal to me, and never gets to silly.

It depends if thats the norm or if they stay sober when they know they need to get their sh*t together. We're in the latter and its a nice place to be! :)

[quote name='josh3184' post='758772' date='Feb 27 2010, 01:03 AM']Thing is, I'd be happy to accept that this sort of rehearsal is pretty fun, but I think the major issue (to me at least) is that they did this in a first rehearsal which is a bit squiffy to me![/quote]

That's probably the norm for them, though. I know a lot of people in bands that rehearse that way, all the time. Not bad bands, either. Likewise there are a few people I know who are almost militaristic in their rehearsal routine, and that's fine too. Probably more productive, but I think I prefer something in between the two myself.

I think the biggest turn off in Bubinga5's experience is the fact they were messy. I mean, I like a smoke, but I can still nail a groove stoned so it's not really an issue - no talent is no talent at the end of the day, regardless of the atmosphere at practice :)

Edited by Wil

Hmm, well Ive been round the block a few times so have a v down to basics view on this.
As an ex smoker I know the story, I think. If you want to be stoned and play with a band play with these guys..
doubt if it will lead to any development of your playing skills though.
If you want to progress as a bassist find a band who take it just a little more seriously and the chances are the drummer will
keep time aswell... be kind to yourself!
Just my view and all the best,
John

Tbh, B5, that sounded like the rehearsal from hell!
But then I've never had much time for players who are totally out of it and unable to get it together.
As has already been said, if that's what these guys are into and it floats their boat, then good luck to 'em.
Frankly, I would have probably resented them wasting my time.

hmmm... A first impression is pretty important to me, although I do recall a very good band taking its time to show what it could do, so I was glad, in the end, I didn't quit straight away. They just had a diferent way of working...it was frustrating though for a few weeks.

Personally, I regard rehearsals as a chore almost, so you have make them productive so with new bands we get a gig and a deadline as soon as we know it will work..and mostly that will be after the first rehersal with the full line-up.

But if your impression was that there is no music there, then that sounds a non-starter.

As I LIKE playing with this new band, rehearsals aren't the nuisance they used to be for me..
we have the notes all down, we just need to relax into the songs and PLAY them..I am looking forward to that development..

Maybe give them another chance to show they aren't wasting your time.

I went for a first jam with a band last December that started out fairly positive but by the end of the night the guitarist was showing me what he wanted me to play and telling me what sort of bass sound he wanted, and despite telling me in emails that he was into a lot of the same music as me, all his sounds came out like country rock or Oasis.

Drummer was ace, but looked as bored as I did. Wish I'd got the drummer's number but it would've looked conspicuous!

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='759186' date='Feb 27 2010, 03:30 PM']I went for a first jam with a band last December that started out fairly positive but by the end of the night the guitarist was showing me what he wanted me to play and telling me what sort of bass sound he wanted, and despite telling me in emails that he was into a lot of the same music as me, all his sounds came out like country rock or Oasis.

Drummer was ace, but looked as bored as I did. Wish I'd got the drummer's number but it would've looked conspicuous![/quote]

That has happened to me a lot as well. The amount of times I've gone to a rehearsal for a 'really heavy rock/stoner band with hardcore elements' which has turned out to be Biffy Clyro/Silverchair/Foo Fighters pop-rock. It gets bloody annoying not because I dislike that kind of music but that its not what I want to play, or expected to play when I replied to the ad.

Its all fine and well to say you like band X, but if it has no relation whatsoever to the kind of music you are making, why bother? It just pisses people off that reply to the ad solely on the basis of band X.

Like the guy who said he loved Tool and Mastadon, but on first rehearsal basically said he wanted to acoustic singer-songwriter stuff a la Elton John.

Or the guy that said he loved Soundgarden and Nine Inch Nails, but then it turns out he wanted a Motown vibe to everything.

Actually the last one was quite a lot of fun for a while!

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='759186' date='Feb 27 2010, 03:30 PM']I went for a first jam with a band last December that started out fairly positive but by the end of the night the guitarist was showing me what he wanted me to play and telling me what sort of bass sound he wanted, and despite telling me in emails that he was into a lot of the same music as me, all his sounds came out like country rock or Oasis.

Drummer was ace, but looked as bored as I did. Wish I'd got the drummer's number but it would've looked conspicuous![/quote]

That's why you take everyone's number...Then delete the ones you don't want afterwards :)

[quote name='bubinga5' post='758703' date='Feb 26 2010, 10:57 PM']Went to a rehearsal last week...i was really looking forward to it... as ive been bandless for a while...So i get a call from a guy in Bristol looking for a hip hop funk bassist kind of thing..there into stuff like quantic soul and general modern soul funk

i drove from Chester where i was working, got there late which was not good (i got stuck in traffic), as i hate being late for anything, nevermind a first rehearsal..i said i was very sorry...

Found the place eventually..Walked in with my gear to a room that is the old police station in bristol...the first thing i noticed was the smell...Very strong Skunk weed..they were drinking also...the place looked like it had a major drug session the previous night..i mean there were hundreds of cans, bottles of booze, ashtrays everywhere...

i would NEVER!!! invite someone to a rehearsal unless it was a place i thought was good for me and them to play..

Now i do smoke from time to time, and am a big believer that it adds to my creative mind, but you have to keep it in check...these guys were really high..and they were drinking scrumpy cider..

started a random groove going, and it got pretty messy..the drummer was loosing time, the guitarist's was thrashing around with no sort of musical direction...did i say there was 2 guitarist's..(my worst nightmare)..The female singer was scatting also...There were some parts where it got quite good when there was a little space in the music, because they could groove.... but generally it was just a mess..[/quote]

Sorry to hear it didn't go well mate. Unfortunately, that seems to be the way with a lot of bands here - [i]'mild mild West' [/i] :rolleyes:
There'll be other bands. If I hear of anything in the funk vein, will give you a shout.

The band you auditoned for have been after a bass player for a while. I was in contact with one of the guys in December, did like the sound of what they were doing too & it all sounded quite together from the the telephone conversations. Guess fortunately with hindsight, the new function band I'm in, started to step up a gear, so I declined.

What with being teetotal, reckon I had a lucky escape! :)

Edited by nick

[quote name='lazzer' post='760091' date='Feb 28 2010, 07:59 PM']Each to their own! But for me, rehearsals are'nt for having fun........ I'm there to work & expect everyone else to work too! Go hard or go home........[/quote]

I think that's a very fair attitude, but for me, if it ain't equally as fun at the same time it's boring and mind numbing. If you can achieve all your goals whilst having fun you can look back on it as time very well spent.