Why become a member? ×

Gearstalkers

Pete Academy

generally yes, but recently at a function as a guest i resisted the temptation to get close and look, i left not even knowing what amp the bassist had (though Id did have a chat to him after about his stingray, which he brought in the 80s)

so i guess that some form of recovery :)

Edited by lojo

[quote name='Doddy' post='940140' date='Aug 30 2010, 04:41 PM']The gearstalkers are going to have a great time with one of my function bands. We've recently started using Line 6 Pods and
in-ear monitors so there are no amps at all on stage. The front of house sound great though,so it'll really confuse them all.[/quote]

Great, assuming you supply your own PA, what is that system made up of for both out front and monitoring?

Saw a disco style party band do this, electric kit and no amps, great bass and guitar player, seems such an effective way of doing a function

Ha! :lol: :D

I do this all the time.

I think I have developed a body language that says "I'm just looking at the
decoration and the carpet", as best as I can.
When we are gigging, I can usually spot a gear geek (me being one as wel)
and sort of goes like this. . . .

Gets there during the set up and buys pint.
Grabs pint with one hand, putting the other hand into pocket.
Walks away from the band for a moment and then turns round.
Finds a convenient wall or pillar to lean against and pulls out mobile.
Pretends to be using mobile but is really looking at the set up.
Waits for the sound check to finish, we wander off - he moves in closer.
If he's brave, when one of us returns will say hi and then whichever one
he identifies with Drummer/Guitarist/Bass/Vocals and then, still with pint
in hand, he will engage in light conversation. No problems.
This ring any bells with you lot out there??? :P

The ones I can't do with are the ones who come up, bold as brass and say
something like "I used to have a rig like that but it was rubbish, so I bought
a ******* or something similar. :)

As I said, I am as guilty as the next geek but I try to be very subtle. :)

Cheers. :lol:

• 5 months later...

I'll admit it, although most gigs i go to i am actually playing so i'm also looking at it to see what i have to play through (Last 3 gigs have been 2 Ashdown MAG 1x15's, Ashdown 1x12 combo, Ashdown MAG 300, 410 and 115, so im doing well) but at other gigs i do always look at the gear, tend to see some good stuff too.

EDIT 18/10/11: The last 3 gigs i played (Where i wasnt using the Line6) were DI Only (Which was HORRIBLE), My Warwick ProFet 5.1 through and old Peavey 1x12 i stole from our PA, and the same Warwick through an Ampeg SVT0810e, which was PHENOMENAL!!

The bassist of the band who owned that was using Fender USA Precision - Line 6 Relay G30 - Boss TU-3 - Tech 21 VT Deluxe - Ampeg SVT 4 Pro - Ampeg SVT-810e, absolutely awesome tone.

Liam

Edited by LiamPodmore

It's an uncontrollable impulse for me, I have to check out the gear onstage! I don't imagine I'm particularly subtle about it either. I rarely engage anyone in conversation though unless absolutely neccessary - for example, I saw a covers band in a pub once, the bass player had a Phil Jones head and cab, something I had never seen outside of a magazine. He also had a charming seafoam green Jazz with a Status neck.

If it's a band we have gigged with before, I always tend to remember what the bassist played. I'm rubbish with names, but I'll remember their bass! :)

Edited by Cosmo Valdemar

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='756717' date='Feb 25 2010, 09:13 AM']At your gigs, do you get 'gearstalkers'...folk that, as soon as the doors open, gather at the front of the stage and check out your gear?

Can you admit to being one?[/quote]

get them sometimes. Usually ok. Sometimes they're obnoxious bores... but I have no problem getting rid off them fast without even making an excuse. Just because we both like bass it doesn't give them the right to waste my time.

guilty as charged m' lord...but in mitigation it's not just me, but my kids too..but we only talk to the smiley players :) and only after sussing them out from the bar.

... after they have set-up, played and then sit around for the crowd to arrive, if they look bored we I dive in and the youngest comes along too if he is feeling plucky....he still find's a real stage bass player up there with anything that a superhero comic can offer....but then again so do I as a home noodler.

....at the local bar where they have, a fair bit of live music, we always play "guess the bass" on the way there....winner gets...well, the bragging rights and kudos of being the premier bass anorak of South Norfolk for a week or so.....we do try to 'do' the rigs but the kids are real loosers at this game, so ain't worth the time and trouble :)

strangely....we have only seen one Fender in 9 months and that's the lovely '79 P bass of my friend, tis all Stingays, Yamaha's 'n Peaveys 'round 'ere like........

....I must add, that we have always found that the bass players, whom I chat too, are always real bass enthusiasts (or very polite!) where as the 'castrato' players seem more matter of fact about their guitars, it's a tool to them...but then I have found that bass players seem more into the engineering, looks, tones of an instrument and are a little more experimental....don't know why, may just be me?

Edited by iconic

I am a complete gear nerd and enjoy a bit of Gear Spottin'. Although I see so much mediocre gear now that sounds like pap I just ignore most. Unless they use something special.

I've had it at EVERY gig since using the Dingwall. It's a nice ice breaker but after the 100th time of "is it easier to play" a small part of my soul falls apart. Still, it's my fault for buying a spazzy bass. Had it over my amps/cabs lately too. No one seems to know who the hell EBS are or Genz Benz so I get that a lot.

"Is it better than Ampeg mate?" :)

I'm quite a gearstalker myself. Probably shouldn't be as it only serves to increase my GAS problem! You know the scenario. Just when you think you're perfectly happy with your sound, you hear something your rig has never pushed out before! This happened to me the first time I borrowed an ampeg cab. Dammit!

I probably get more people eyeing up my gear though, none of the musicians i've shared a bill with have seen Markbass and are amazed at how loud my tiny little 'car stereo' head can go. The fact that I have a few pedals is totally alien to most! I actually quite like people coming up to me and giving me an excuse to bang on about gear. Firstly because I feel like I might be helping people out a little bit with some info and a little personal opinion, secondly because... Well I just like to talk about bass stuff :)

9 times out of 10 I'm the only one that geeky enough to talk about most gear that comes through a door.

I'm quiet happy to talk to anyone about my gear and and theirs. I like to play a game where I try and name as much equipment as possible without gathering around the stage.

Same as Chrismuzz, it's surprising how many bassists haven't heard of markbass.

This is the [b]biggest[/b] and only downside of playing bass for me. I seriously cannot comprehend the cheek of it.

It's different playing gear of someone you know, in their house, because they asked you if you want a go.

But walking up to a stranger and saying 'can I play your [pride and joy] bass?'... really?!

I didn't pay £XXXX for my gear so that some chump can wander over and play it for free!

If you want to try a bass, disappear down to your local music shop on a weekend and hassle them. They expect it and at least that way I can avoid it.

EDIT: Talking about it is fine, but keep your mitts off!

Edited by skej21

[quote name='Ross' post='1194441' date='Apr 10 2011, 11:35 AM']Terrible for it, always asking to try other peoples basses.[/quote]

Never gonna happen.
If I'm playing a gig and someone wants to talk about gear,I'll happily talk to them,but if i dont know you,you're not having a go.

[quote name='Ross' post='1194441' date='Apr 10 2011, 11:35 AM']Terrible for it, always asking to try other peoples basses. I swear sometimes I only play Bass for the delicious gear, then I remember the music side of it :)[/quote]
Not at a gig, TBH. Declining eyesight and low lighting conditions invariably make it difficult for me to distinguish between a bass brother and a numpty punter. No probs with visits as long as the caller brings a packet of Bahlsen Choco Leibniz. Not that anyone would be too excited by my fairly pedestrian gear. :)

[quote name='skej21' post='1194457' date='Apr 10 2011, 11:51 AM']This is the [b]biggest[/b] and only downside of playing bass for me.[/quote]
Wot? More than playing Mustang Sally, being ignored by punters, dealing with guitards and humping a bass rig around. Surely not?

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1194516' date='Apr 10 2011, 12:45 PM']Wot? More than playing Mustang Sally, being ignored by punters, dealing with guitards and humping a bass rig around. Surely not?[/quote]

Lol. Never played Mustang Sally at a gig, being ignored by punters doesn't bother me when the money goes in my pocket, and I can carry my bass, cables/pedals and amp (MarkBass LMIII) in one gig bag/hand and carry my cab (Aguilar GS112) with the other hand. All gear carried in one trip.

So yes, people wanting to play my gear is the biggest downside of playing for me.

Edited by skej21

[quote name='skej21' post='1194522' date='Apr 10 2011, 12:53 PM']So yes, people wanting to play my gear is the biggest downside of playing for me.[/quote]
You adroitly swerved the guitard issue. Thought I wouldn't notice, eh? :)

Let's not be too hard on Ross. Enthusiasm's a great thing, plus he might have some gooseberry wine on the go soon.

[quote name='dbass' post='1192666' date='Apr 8 2011, 10:27 AM']I am a complete gear nerd and enjoy a bit of Gear Spottin'. Although I see so much mediocre gear now that sounds like pap I just ignore most. Unless they use something special.

I've had it at EVERY gig since using the Dingwall. It's a nice ice breaker but after the 100th time of "is it easier to play" a small part of my soul falls apart. Still, it's my fault for buying a spazzy bass. Had it over my amps/cabs lately too. No one seems to know who the hell EBS are or Genz Benz so I get that a lot.

"Is it better than Ampeg mate?" :)[/quote]

:) I've had similar things, Sandbergs and GK aren't very common (especially around here where 99% of people use Squiers/Fenders/Epiphones and Ashdowns) so there's always someone curious about them. A little piece of me dies though when someone says "why didn't you just get a Fender" when I point out that the Sandberg, though technically a copy, isn't a cheap one.

I never have a problem with people having a go on my gear though, it's rare-ish stuff and I think that people should experience as much gear as possible. My stuff's battered about a bit anyway (life on the road takes it's toll) so I'm not scared of people dinging it and since I used to teach, I've had beginners (including people on their first ever lesson) have a go on my basses, whatever the cost of them.

Maybe not so relevant because it wasn't a random punter at a gig, but I had a lovely evening around Rob rmshaw37's house yesterday chatting to him. I'm interested in buying one of his basses, but I took around my Sandberg and amp, we played each other's gear, he plugged his head into my cab to see what it sounded like. It was interesting to see the different combinations of gear and see how they felt and sounded, even though it was only one bass that was potentially being sold. None of that would have been possible if we were both precious about our gear and I think both of us learned from it that we wouldn't have been able to if I'd just taken around my amp and only tried his Overwater out through that.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1194527' date='Apr 10 2011, 01:01 PM']You adroitly swerved the guitard issue. Thought I wouldn't notice, eh? :)

Let's not be too hard on Ross. Enthusiasm's a great thing, plus he might have some gooseberry wine on the go soon.[/quote]

Haha, all the guitards I play with are actually alright. Not great, but they keep themselves to themselves and that's good enough for me.

But yeah, I'll happily share wine and talk gear... My gear is like a beautiful lady. I want people to look and be jealous but if they touch, it's instant death.

• 6 months later...

Thought I'd revive this thread as I got properly gearstalked the other day by a barman at the venue I was playing at.

He sat opposite the stage watching us set up and soundcheck. Came over after we played, complemented the band and then launched into questions about what make my bass was, the finish, the amp set up and the amp stand.

Very complementary to the band and my sound. Stroked my ego very nicely :-)

Friendly guy.