Why become a member? ×

DIY Effects

JackLondon

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1457535957' post='2999479']
Having just read that again I think I initially misunderstood what you were looking for. I'd assumed you wanted to run both JOYOs in parallel and blend between them. Given that, why would you want to go to the expense of putting these in a new enclosure? You could achieve what you're wanting to do with an A/B looper pedal: [url="http://buildyourownclone.com/products/tblooper"]http://buildyourownc...oducts/tblooper[/url]
[/quote]

I did look at using an A/B switcher but it involved ordering extra kit and it wasn't as a convenient, elegant or compact solution (at least when I started the investigation). Context might be best explained with a diagram of the signal path itself:

[attachment=214335:signal chain.png]

With the set up above, I use the amp tweaker for JS/5150-ish compressed distortion and the Joyo for funky Fendery cleans. But the Joyo does great classic rock overdrive too and with high gain settings might get close to a Rivera, so I was looking for a way to incorporate that efficiently into the signal path.

The GX3 is a bit of a maybe at the moment. I haven't pulled the trigger on it yet. Would probably use it for boosting into the Burman Pro 501.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1457530240' post='2999388']
Any thoughts on Hammerite?
[url="http://www.hammerite.co.uk/products/direct_to_rust_metal_paint_aerosol_smooth_finish.jsp"]http://www.hammerite...ooth_finish.jsp[/url]

I used to specify it for fence railings and other outdoor metal fixtures.
[/quote]

I thought it was mostly meant for steel, but I see they do a version which is supposed to work on galvanized steel and aluminium now.

Not used it for years to be honest, mostly because it's difficult if you ever want to overcoat it (you can't repaint with Hammerite or anything else unless you strip everything right off IIRC), it's kinda funny stuff compared to normal paints, but I guess it may work OK.

[quote name='6v6' timestamp='1457604882' post='3000002']

I thought it was mostly meant for steel, but I see they do a version which is supposed to work on galvanized steel and aluminium now.

Not used it for years to be honest, mostly because it's difficult if you ever want to overcoat it (you can't repaint with Hammerite or anything else unless you strip everything right off IIRC), it's kinda funny stuff compared to normal paints, but I guess it may work OK.
[/quote]
I need a primer that I can paint on with acrylics.

I know some people that use acrylics on the Halford's primer, but they're not painting aluminium. Which is why I wanted to check first.

Also, my hobby room is in a state where it can't currently be used as I am fixing it up. The music and computer sections are done, and the painting and modelling section is almost done. But the electronics section is currently nonexistent since I changed my mind on how to build it. I was going to use the bench I was using before and build shelving, parts bins, drawers and pegboard panels around it, but I am now going to be building the whole thing as one unit from scratch.
It's all very frustrating (I can only work on it on four days out of ten, and only that much if I am lucky) and so I find myself constantly researching every minute detail and asking questions at every available opportunity, just so I feel like I am doing [i]something[/i] towards it.

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1457613581' post='3000099']
I need a primer that I can paint on with acrylics.

I know some people that use acrylics on the Halford's primer, but they're not painting aluminium. Which is why I wanted to check first.

Also, my hobby room is in a state where it can't currently be used as I am fixing it up. The music and computer sections are done, and the painting and modelling section is almost done. But the electronics section is currently nonexistent since I changed my mind on how to build it. I was going to use the bench I was using before and build shelving, parts bins, drawers and pegboard panels around it, but I am now going to be building the whole thing as one unit from scratch.
It's all very frustrating (I can only work on it on four days out of ten, and only that much if I am lucky) and so I find myself constantly researching every minute detail and asking questions at every available opportunity, just so I feel like I am doing [i]something[/i] towards it.
[/quote]

Aluminium Etch Primer ???
Something like...
[url="http://www.paints4trade.com/etch-primer-aerosol-258576-p.asp?v=0&variantid=258578&fo_c=888&fo_k=83dddb9fd25de23cc150eebb8e6e192f&fo_s=gplauk&gclid=CjwKEAiA04S3BRCYteOr6b-roSUSJABE1-6BYzjqFT9COy_IaybfPO-Ccwvp5Aby_AtNRgeym0RbPRoCEXrw_wcB"]http://www.paints4trade.com/etch-primer-aerosol-258576-p.asp?v=0&variantid=258578&fo_c=888&fo_k=83dddb9fd25de23cc150eebb8e6e192f&fo_s=gplauk&gclid=CjwKEAiA04S3BRCYteOr6b-roSUSJABE1-6BYzjqFT9COy_IaybfPO-Ccwvp5Aby_AtNRgeym0RbPRoCEXrw_wcB[/url]

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1457613581' post='3000099']
[/quote]

I feel your pain. My hobby room (which I may be loosing to the kids shortly) is in such a state that I can hardly get into it - too many guitars/basses in various states of repair, boxes of kids toys, bags of tools, a few valve amp chassis. I'm building pedals by stuffing the components at home of an evening at the kitchen table, bringing it into work to solder at lunchtime, home to test that evening, into work next day to wire up the footswitch and power connector, home to test again that evening.

This afternoon's fun will be hooking up my Ginger build to a signal generator and Oscilloscope to set the FET trimmers. On testing last night I found with the gain low it sounded FANTASTIC. As soon as gain was over a quarter it farted on every note. Lashed it across the kitchen table in disgust... Then lying in my pit last night I remembered you have to tune the bloody thing!!! Could do it by ear but since I have the means...

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1457617825' post='3000179']
On testing last night I found with the gain low it sounded FANTASTIC. As soon as gain was over a quarter it farted on every note. [/quote]

My Ginger came with the biasing already set to the ROG specs (I had mine made by VFE) and it had pretty much no clean at all. I've since adjusted the biases back a bit and it's brought the pedal to life. Mine doesn't start to break up now until the gain is at 9 o@clock. I love it.

[quote name='ratman' timestamp='1457619335' post='3000194']

My Ginger came with the biasing already set to the ROG specs (I had mine made by VFE) and it had pretty much no clean at all. I've since adjusted the biases back a bit and it's brought the pedal to life. Mine doesn't start to break up now until the gain is at 9 o@clock. I love it.
[/quote]

I've not quite got it dialled in yet. Was still getting an unpleasant distortion when I tried last night, then realised the output volume was so high it was clipping the input of my Enabler pre. Was late so gave it up for the night.

Question for the collective. Which muff-type fuzz should I build for my board? Swaying between the tall font russian and the musket...

[quote name='ratman' timestamp='1457619335' post='3000194']
[/quote]

Did you measure the bias voltage or just adjust by ear? I built a Ginger a few months ago and set the bias around 6v as suggested on the ROG site, and it's very polite - have to get beyond 12 o'clock to get any appreciable break up. Perhaps because I'm using log taper pots?

I really like the Ginger, though I occasionally feel that it might be lacking a bit of bass. I have the parts for an SFT build now, which hopefully I'll get done over the Easter period. It'll be interesting to compare the two.

[quote name='Gottastopbuyinggear' timestamp='1458132699' post='3004972']
Did you measure the bias voltage or just adjust by ear? I built a Ginger a few months ago and set the bias around 6v as suggested on the ROG site, and it's very polite - have to get beyond 12 o'clock to get any appreciable break up. Perhaps because I'm using log taper pots?

I really like the Ginger, though I occasionally feel that it might be lacking a bit of bass. I have the parts for an SFT build now, which hopefully I'll get done over the Easter period. It'll be interesting to compare the two.
[/quote]

I've tried it both ways. 6v was ridiculously close to pinching off the FET (I mean within a few hundred mV) and VERY close to the end stop on the 1st trimmer. It sounded better doing it by ear, but as I say I'm not there yet. I suppose it depends where on the dial you want it to start gaining up! I actually want it to be clean before 12 o'clock so that's where I have the gain pot set so I can start tuning in the distortion at that point. I'm guessing that's the best way to do it...

My SFT build is still in need of some attention. It certainly sounds dirtier than the Ginger from memory, but I haven't got them side by side yet.

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1458069963' post='3004431']
I have just stumbled into this thread by accident. I feel as if I have entered a parallel universe.
[/quote]

Can we mod him.... ? Please master...can we ? We'll tidy up the mess this time....

Edited by ahpook

[/quote]

Spent a good half hour tuning the Ginger last night. Sounds great now! Highlights the loud low B issue on my Sire 5 string. Everything sounds sweet but B distorts like mad. Not the end of the world! My only problem now is I had some nice vintage-boss style knobs set aside for it, but they don't fit! Stuck some Davies/Two Rock style knobs on in the meantime.

Blowerbox next! Think I'll go perfboard instead of stripboard/vero...

Edited by Bigwan

Did you measure the bias voltage or just adjust by ear?
[/quote]
I asked Peter at VFE and his advice was to use my ears. I did mark the trim pots though, so I can get them back to their original settings, or at least close to it, if I ever choose to.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1458286580' post='3006220']
That said, the instructions could be clearer in parts.
[/quote]

He's not the only one guilty of that though! I think Madbean are the best with their instructions, but they don't sell kits. Poodle has been good with his bass specific kits the last few years after asking for input on his facebook page.

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1455907040' post='2983590']

Yup, there's a thumpinator right there!

The filter responses for that circuit aren't ideal, but close enough for the purpose.
[/quote]You do need more than 12dB/ octave for thump elimination.

[quote name='Chienmortbb' timestamp='1458825610' post='3011263']
You do need more than 12dB/ octave for thump elimination.
[/quote]

Correct. We were talking 2 12dB/octave high pass filters in series to get 24dB/octave.