Why become a member? ×

DIY Effects

JackLondon

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1453827039' post='2963193']
One thought - how does one increase the gain of a JFET boost like the Stratoblaster ?
[/quote]
Run a capacitor (4.7uf or 10uf) in parallel with the resistor that goes froSource to Groung - that'll get you more gain. Obviously that sort of value will most likely be an electrolytic ! Polarised cap,so make sure that the cathode goes to ground, and Bob's your Mother's brother.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1455744408' post='2982115']
Run a capacitor (4.7uf or 10uf) in parallel with the resistor that goes froSource to Groung - that'll get you more gain. Obviously that sort of value will most likely be an electrolytic ! Polarised cap,so make sure that the cathode goes to ground, and Bob's your Mother's brother.
[/quote]

Aha ! I'll give that a whirl :)

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1455739855' post='2982043']
Spent a wee while looking at the Boughton L+HPF and think I have the circuit figured out if you're interested dood. Could draw it up for you. Will be adding one to my own "to do" list!

Speaking of my "to do" list, it doesn't seem to be getting any shorter... And just to add to it I've ordered a Mad Professor Blueberry clone kit from Pedalparts. No intention of building the Mad Professor version but it's a good starting point for the bearfoot or bjfe version. A few part omissions and a bit of inventive wiring will do the business!
[/quote]

You've got the L+HPF? How are you finding it?

Yes, yes please I would love to see a schematic for it :) Thank you so much!

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1455791950' post='2982415']
You've got the L+HPF? How are you finding it?

Yes, yes please I would love to see a schematic for it :) Thank you so much!
[/quote]

No don't have one, just been following the breadcrumbs!

It's 2 Sallen-Key filters in series, probably preceded by a buffer stage and followed with a volume control. A bit of simulation with standard ganged-pot, resistor and cap values plugged into an equal component filter design gets VERY close to the cutoff frequencies that Azure Skies quotes. He's added a volume control as the design has inherent gain (as-in volume boost not distortion).

I'll draw up something very quickly

Apologies for the rushed nature of this - just hacked a few old schematics I had together to give you the gist of the thing...

[attachment=212628:for dood.jpg]

The 11k+Vr2 and 5.6k+Vr1 are a standard resistor in series (therefore setting the minimum value) with one half of a ganged/stereo pot as each filter needs 2 values to be changed equally at the same time.

Just need to tack a volume control on the end somewhere to cut the added volume down. Or not if you've got something appropriate next in the chain to do it for you.

Edit: Oh and the Broughton just uses a TL074 quad opamp.

Edited by Bigwan

I'd like to get into this pedal building malarkey...the only pedal i want at the moment is a more flexible compressor...with adjustable ratio, threshold, attack, release, input level and make up gain....so that's six knobs!!!
is there a DIY project about on the web that's voiced for bass that covers this?

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1455795173' post='2982458']
Apologies for the rushed nature of this - just hacked a few old schematics I had together to give you the gist of the thing...

The 11k+Vr2 and 5.6k+Vr1 are a standard resistor in series (therefore setting the minimum value) with one half of a ganged/stereo pot as each filter needs 2 values to be changed equally at the same time.

Just need to tack a volume control on the end somewhere to cut the added volume down. Or not if you've got something appropriate next in the chain to do it for you.

Edit: Oh and the Broughton just uses a TL074 quad opamp.
[/quote]

Yup, I understand that! Brilliant! Thank you!

In comparison, here's the Rolls Crossover offering HPF, LPF and about 20dB gain boost as I understand it.

http://www.rolls.com/pdf/IS_SX21.pdf

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1455795173' post='2982458']

[/quote]

IIRC that gives a 12dB/octave rolloff for both HPF and LPF - you can simply cascade two identical filters to give a 24dB/octave roll-off which might be better, at least for the HPF if you're looking at thump elimination.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1455900369' post='2983507']

IIRC that gives a 12dB/octave rolloff for both HPF and LPF - you can simply cascade two identical filters to give a 24dB/octave roll-off which might be better, at least for the HPF if you're looking at thump elimination.
[/quote]

Yup, there's a thumpinator right there!

The filter responses for that circuit aren't ideal, but close enough for the purpose.

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1455740968' post='2982062']
The Ginger is also on "ze list"... As is the Fairfield Barbershop (should have most of the bits for it lying around!).

Looking forward to your Ginger pics. Did you use the board from Musikding?
[/quote] i used Musikding yes, great prices :-)
I do think i might have bitten to much off doing the Ginger as a first build project though :-( I have power etc (Led, switch n jacks work) but all i get is horrid static sounds? volume and gain work but no sounds ,just static buzz?. ive checked the components to the list/diagram i have and solder joints ......... all appear good (to me that is)??

doing my nut in a bit tbh ...........any ideas,anyone done the ginger? cheers[attachment=212773:IMG_20160219_194722.jpg][attachment=212774:IMG_20160219_194727.jpg][attachment=212775:IMG_20160219_195723.jpg]

Edited by danbowskill

[quote name='danbowskill' timestamp='1455913096' post='2983668']
i used Musikding yes, great prices :-)
I do think i might have bitten to much off doing the Ginger as a first build project though :-( I have power etc (Led, switch n jacks work) but all i get is horrid static sounds? volume and gain work but no sounds ,just static buzz?. ive checked the components to the list/diagram i have and solder joints ......... all appear good (to me that is)??

doing my nut in a bit tbh ...........any ideas,anyone done the ginger? cheers[attachment=212773:IMG_20160219_194722.jpg][attachment=212774:IMG_20160219_194727.jpg][attachment=212775:IMG_20160219_195723.jpg]
[/quote]

If you've checked solder joints, polarity of caps, leds & other components, no shorts to ground etc...
Have you looked at the j-fets, are they OK?
I've had issues previously with crap ones.

Edited by nick

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1455900369' post='2983507']
[/quote]

Maybe that sort of Thumpinator roll off would be beneficial, though for my useage I'd be looking at winding that filer point all the way up to around 300hz - But I don't want to build anything until I've tested the theory!

[quote name='danbowskill' timestamp='1455913096' post='2983668']
i used Musikding yes, great prices :-)

[/quote]

The Ginger is a serious build for a first attempt! As mentioned it could be any one of a hundred things. Unfortunately remotely debugging something like this is extremely tricky.

I'm planning building of these myself when I've finished my 3BOD build... And after payday!

By the way danbowskill, is that a 125B or 1590B enclosure?

Edited by Bigwan

Gonna sound like a spaz here.........which 1s are the Jfets? Also how do you know which way to turn the caps for right polarity? I literally copied the parts list and photo shown in the ginger docs in this link.not fully clued up yet :-(
I'm sure it's nothing major as I can notice the knobs working ( just no bass sounds) .... There is also no bass at all when effect is bypassed.
http://www.musikding.de/ROG-Ginger-Ampsim-kit

Thanks guys :-)

Edited by danbowskill

Unlikely, although the switch could be a dud. Stranger things have happened. Have you tried directly wiring the input and output jacks to the pcb without the switch?

Speaking from experience, boxing up a pcb before checking it is often optimistic!

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1455800687' post='2982535']
Yup, I understand that! Brilliant! Thank you!

[/quote]

And a veroboard layout has pretty much been done for me! http://www.sabrotone.com/?p=3173

Just remove the noise making circuitry from the schematic, adjust cap and pot (and series resistor!) values around the 2 filter stages, and change up the last opamp stage to incorporate a volume control to the design and it's done. Should fit in a 1590b no problem.

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1456236192' post='2986873']
And a veroboard layout has pretty much been done for me! [url="http://www.sabrotone.com/?p=3173"]http://www.sabrotone.com/?p=3173[/url]

Just remove the noise making circuitry from the schematic, adjust cap and pot (and series resistor!) values around the 2 filter stages, and change up the last opamp stage to incorporate a volume control to the design and it's done. Should fit in a 1590b no problem.
[/quote]

Crickey! That's great!