Why become a member? ×

DIY Effects

JackLondon

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1467611953' post='3084776']

I have a copy if you want to borrow it for a short while...
[/quote]
As much as I'd love a butcher's at it, because it does look good, I think I would rather see what I can find online before I ask someone to risk sending me anything through the post and all that that can entail.

Thank you, though, it's a very kind offer.

Would a [url="http://miaudio.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/12AU7-6111_Valve_Caster_Summary_Rev002.pdf"]Valvecaster[/url] be a good start? The twincaster has cascading pre-amps and there's a list of mods at the end, like using a 1Meg volume pot for a high-gain circuit.

[quote name='ColinB' timestamp='1467620995' post='3084831']
Would a [url="http://miaudio.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/12AU7-6111_Valve_Caster_Summary_Rev002.pdf"]Valvecaster[/url] be a good start? The twincaster has cascading pre-amps and there's a list of mods at the end, like using a 1Meg volume pot for a high-gain circuit.
[/quote]
Oh! I have only had a quick skim of that so far but it looks like it might be exactly what I am after.

I am going to make time to go through all suggested links properly later today. I felt a little bit daunted before but I'm starting to feel quite excited about it now. So thanks guys.

There may be more questions. I shall let you know how I get on.

I actually put a bits box order in last night, just for enclosures, some pots and the odd component that I didn't have in stock. So next up are an Ibanez NB10 Noise Buster, ProTone Body Rot II and a Tubescreamer (which is what has caused the sudden interest in tubes). It'll be nice to get back to building actual effects rather than just utility pedals.

• 1 month later...

Just got the DIY bug again after a bit of a layoff (moving house, can't be ar$ed, etc). Built a couple of dirt pedals a while back which are now part of my current rig (Blower Box, Timmy) and did Rat, Tubescreamer and Uni-Vibe clones for our guitarist, which he's still using.

Just finishing off a Tall Font Russian clone with a couple of mods (clean blend and mids control) and I need to do the enclosure, but I tried the rough build last night and I'm very pleased with it (the neightbours less so, I would imagine!)

Going to move on to a few weirder sounds like the Jawari, Octavia, a bit crusher and some modulation effects for a bit of fun. Got a studio trip coming up towards the end of the year and it's always good to have some odd effects lying around for guitar overdubs!

Hi

Never done anything like this before, but thinking of exploring the possibilities.

Basically I have two pedals which I want to be able to run either in parallel, or one into the other.
I want to make a box with two inputs on one side, a switch determining "A+B" or "A into B", then a single output.
Some reliable sources say this is very difficult, others say it's a simple switch.
Anyone want to say one way or the other?

Guest FretNoMore

Just assembled a Dirt Dessert kit (Prunes and Custard clone) by Fuzz Dog, not too difficult. The kit had some incorrect resistors in it, wrong value, but new ones were posted to me right away.

Edited by FretNoMore

Guest FretNoMore

It's a fuzz with some harmonic overtones and a slight filter sweep effect. Search for Crowther Audio Prunes and Custard on Youtube for examples, the kit sounds pretty much like the original.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1473193696' post='3127955']
Hi

Never done anything like this before, but thinking of exploring the possibilities.

Basically I have two pedals which I want to be able to run either in parallel, or one into the other.
I want to make a box with two inputs on one side, a switch determining "A+B" or "A into B", then a single output.
Some reliable sources say this is very difficult, others say it's a simple switch.
Anyone want to say one way or the other?
[/quote]

A little tricky, but not impossible!

You'll need some sort of mix circuitry to handle the parallel option which adds complication. I think the people saying it's simple might be mixing it up with an "A or B"/"A into B" type pedal which can be done just with foot switches! The parallel option is the kicker.

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1473244621' post='3128242']

A little tricky, but not impossible!

You'll need some sort of mix circuitry to handle the parallel option which adds complication. I think the people saying it's simple might be mixing it up with an "A or B"/"A into B" type pedal which can be done just with foot switches! The parallel option is the kicker.
[/quote]

Thanks. Yeah, on balance, I think my mate who said it's easy doesn't quite get it, as I've had several very qualified people sayin it's pretty complicated.

Maybe I'll have to forego the luxury of series and just get an ABY pedal

Found some old pics of a few of my builds. Bit light on gutshots though - probably a good thing on some of my earlier ones.

Timmy
[url="http://s36.photobucket.com/user/JohnnyWishbone035/media/image_3.jpeg.html"][/url]

Blower Box
[url="http://s36.photobucket.com/user/JohnnyWishbone035/media/image_2.jpeg.html"][/url]
[url="http://s36.photobucket.com/user/JohnnyWishbone035/media/image_4.jpeg.html"][/url]

Univibe thingy
[url="http://s36.photobucket.com/user/JohnnyWishbone035/media/image_1.jpeg.html"][/url]

Brassmaster
[url="http://s36.photobucket.com/user/JohnnyWishbone035/media/image.jpeg.html"][/url]

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1473249414' post='3128299']
Thanks. Yeah, on balance, I think my mate who said it's easy doesn't quite get it, as I've had several very qualified people sayin it's pretty complicated.

Maybe I'll have to forego the luxury of series and just get an ABY pedal
[/quote]

While an ABY will probably work to a degree (assuming you're talking about using it backwards i.e. the output effect 1 to A, output of effect 2 to B, input of the switcher as output) you should ideally have some sort of buffer/mix circuit to control the mix of the 2 signals.

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1473250087' post='3128311']

While an ABY will probably work to a degree (assuming you're talking about using it backwards i.e. the output effect 1 to A, output of effect 2 to B, input of the switcher as output) you should ideally have some sort of buffer/mix circuit to control the mix of the 2 signals.
[/quote]

Each pedal has its own level control so should be ok thanks

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1473250820' post='3128319']
Each pedal has its own level control so should be ok thanks
[/quote]

Yes but results may be unpredictable without a buffer between the 2 outputs as you're effectively connecting them together if you see what I mean. Suck it and see though. May be fine!

If it works this way then the series parallel thing IS easy, btw!

Edited by Bigwan

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1473251458' post='3128330']

Yes but results may be unpredictable without a buffer between the 2 outputs as you're effectively connecting them together if you see what I mean. Suck it and see though. May be fine!

If it works this way then the series parallel thing IS easy, btw!
[/quote]

Good to know. Fingers crossed!

Think I might be building some of these! http://schalltechnik04.de/en/kits

Although not the biggest fan of the original designs of the drive pedals, it was mostly a "I can see where they could be useful, wouldn't use them all the time and it's a lot of money in a pedal I'll only use sparingly" sort of deal, but at this price I could put up with it!!!

The compressor is an interesting diy alternative too.

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1473337678' post='3129245']
but at this price I could put up with it!!![/quote]

So could I! Very interesting stuff indeed. I had wondered, given the popularity of Darkglass, how there doesn't seem to have been much progress in terms of clones. At least not from the usual suspects (Sabrotone, Tagboard etc).

[quote name='Johnny Wishbone' timestamp='1473339004' post='3129272']
So could I! Very interesting stuff indeed. I had wondered, given the popularity of Darkglass, how there doesn't seem to have been much progress in terms of clones. At least not from the usual suspects (Sabrotone, Tagboard etc).
[/quote]

I find that odd too.

Doug from darkglass did have the schematics and pcb layouts for the first version of the b3k (old knob layout) up on one of the diy pedal sites but he pulled down the schematics at some point. I have the layouts downloaded somewhere. I did spend a few hours trying to decipher them, but gave up when it dawned on me that I didn't like it enough to put the effort in! I know it had a LOT of buffering going on (tL07x with inverting input tied to the output) and only a single CMOS gate used in the design, but there was something unusual about the way the clean was blended in.

It might appear yet! I'd seen the B3K kit before, but not the Vintage so it's fairly new. The Duality might be on his "to do" list...

You could try contacting the seller about a PCB. I did read somewhere yesterday that he offered the PCB on its own, but when I visited the site there seems to be only kits. I like that he offers enclosures pre-drilled AND pre-drilled with powder coating/printing. I'll probably go for the Antique kit and finished enclosure. I'd love to etch my own enclosures eventually but I find drilling a MAJOR pain!

The enclosures do look nice, that's for sure. I've messaged him about the PCBs (and the Duality) so we'll see what happens.

Big night tonight - trying out an all-over enclosure design printed onto iron-on T-shirt transfer paper. It'll either look great or I'll burn the house down!

Edited by Johnny Wishbone