Why become a member? ×

DIY Effects

JackLondon

Eventually finished my Guma Antique this morning (a naughty half hour in the lab at work). Original intention was to build this and a Guma Drive into the same box, but with time seemingly always against me I folded and ordered the individual printed enclosures from Julian (kit supplier) instead... along with his Pumpernickel compressor kit... and printed enclosure. No way I was attempting that drilling job!

Edited by Bigwan

Just got my Guma Drive kit through, too - going to be having a go at drilling the enclosure myself - not done a pcb with board mounted pots before, so I'll definitely be taking my time with that one.
Interested to hear what you think of the Pumpernickel - I think it's excellent sounding.

Definitely impressed with the quality of the schalltechnik kits. Instructions wouldn't be top notch though, and are open to interpretation in places. The Guma Antique printed enclosure is beautiful!

Yup, can confirm the Antique sounds awesome. Used it into my B3 last night with the B3 set up to replicate the EQ on the M900 I just sold. Bit of high pass filtering from the Fishman preamp model and we're set for the IEM experiment!

Guma Drive completed at lunchtime today (again a cheeky half hour in the lab at work!). I'll test it tonight.

Something of note with the Guma Antique. Without doubt it's the least noisy of all the DIY projects I've built. Highly recommended.

Finally got around to starting one of the several projects I've had lying around for a while. This one has only been sat here for a year. Some of the others are about 10 years old...

It's a Gristleiser

it's a version of one of these:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIK9LBnu-A8[/media]

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1495048859' post='3300906']
Finally got around to starting one of the several projects I've had lying around for a while. This one has only been sat here for a year. Some of the others are about 10 years old...

It's a Gristleiser

it's a version of one of these:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIK9LBnu-A8[/media]
[/quote]

Nice!

Been playing about with one of these on stripboard lately - altered a couple of values to suit it more to my taste and it's working very well!

http://youtu.be/AqBxMXwc77c

Edited by paul_5

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1495056975' post='3300991']
Been playing about with one of these on stripboard lately - altered a couple of values to suit it more to my taste and it's working very well!

[media]http://youtu.be/AqBxMXwc77c[/media]
[/quote]

What did you end up changing? I breadboarded it myself, and wanted to like it but it didn't appeal to me all the way.

Does anyone know where I can get this led covers ? I manage to find them in polish shop but can't find it anywhere in UK. It might be because I don't know its proper name.

Ah yes, and one more thing. How do you cover legs of transistors? Is it heatshrink?

Edited by mSz

[quote name='mSz' timestamp='1495624823' post='3305359']
Does anyone know where I can get this led covers ? I manage to find them in polish shop but can't find it anywhere in UK. It might be because I don't know its proper name.

Ah yes, and one more thing. How do you cover legs of transistors? Is it heatshrink?

[/quote]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]They're called frenzel lenses i believe. [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]And you use the plastic insulation you've stripped off wires for that particular look...[/font][/color]

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1495629837' post='3305418']
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]They're called frenzel lenses i believe. [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]And you use the plastic insulation you've stripped off wires for that particular look...[/font][/color]
[/quote]

Thanks! You were close. They are called fresnel lenses, but that was close enough to find them!

I haven't thought about striping wires to source the tubing. :)

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1495644836' post='3305584']
I tend to socket all my transistors, I'm a bit wary of inadvertently frying them when I solder them in place.
[/quote]

That's what I am doing at the moment. Mainly because I want to be able to swap them. There is quite a big supply on the way to me :)

I guess using heat sink is a good idea as well.

[quote name='El_JimBob' timestamp='1495718929' post='3306116']

Finally finished my GUMA Drive B3K clone last night...
[/quote]

Wow! That enclosure looks amazing!

I've had the kit lying around a while but haven't got round to building it yet. Getting the artwork looking somewhat decent around the toggle switches is putting me off a little, in all honesty.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1495056975' post='3300991']

[media]http://youtu.be/AqBxMXwc77c[/media]
[/quote]

Hi. Where did you get the schematic / circuit info ? FSB ?

Here's my latest build, first pedal I've built in a while - an Orange Squeezer clone for my smallest guitar pedalboard. I used a PCB ordered from eBay as it offered several advantages over a stripboard build. The knobs are different sizes on purpose - I can easily adjust the volume with my foot, whereas the bias control may not get adjusted very often. I couldn't find orange spray paint cheap enough so I ended up with yellow Plasti-kote. The lettering/graphics are laser-printable water-slide decal.

It sounds great on my Strat, and nails the Sultans of Swing tone.

Edited by JapanAxe

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1495732375' post='3306238']
Got a stripboard layout from tagboardeffects.blogspot.com.
[/quote]

Thanks. I thought you might have used that. But seeing as you modified some component values I wondered if you found a schematic or reverse engineered one from the layout.