Why become a member? ×

"Can I have a go on your bass, mate?"

arthurhenry

[quote name='firmo' post='754833' date='Feb 23 2010, 11:30 AM']Once at a gig my bass was on it's stand right at the back of the stage (behind the curtain) when the support bands bassist bust a string. I was stood there and saw him put his bass down and disappear somewhere, I assumed he'd gone to grab his spare only to find him come back out from behind the curtain with my bass! Cheeky little f***er I was tempted to climb up on stage and knock the little sh*t out - if he'd have asked I wouldn't have minded that much but this made my blood boil.[/quote]

I would have went on stage and removed my bass from the little twat's hands!

Playing at weddings and corporates we get used to drunken punters trying to have a go with our kit.
They always seem to go for mics,drums and percussion in that order,so I can usually hear the noise before they get to grabbing my Stingray.
We just try to make sure nothing is left too easy to get to,although not always possible.

I don't let anyone try my bass unless they ask first - its just the arrogance of picking up something valuable thats not yours that I can't stand.
Unfortunately punters at some of our better paid gigs seem to think they can book a band and then prat around with their gear too.
(I like the Porsche scenario mentioned by Jakesbass above-will have to remember that one.)

Oh yeah, and I [u]never[/u] let anyone use my mic - its just too personal a thing to share (germs&lipstick-theirs not mine!)

[quote name='Stan_da_man' post='755018' date='Feb 23 2010, 02:10 PM']Like turning up to play a football match without your kit.[/quote]

Yeah, but if you had our old PE teacher-you´d have to play the match in your pants or uniform trousers regardless! :)

Me-I would never let anyone touch my gear without any permission and even then, that´s usually not too forthcoming!
I don´t mind when another serious player has a look at my gear, but I hate when ´All The Young Punks´ come up and think my 78 P is Sid´s and therefore public property!
That´s when it´s time to state very clearly to the young toerags-´Cut The Crap!´
or
´Back de F**K Up Beatches!!!´ :rolleyes:

[quote name='MythSte' post='754818' date='Feb 23 2010, 11:15 AM']If someone asks I've never had a problem tbh! I'm just nice like that! :lol:[/quote]
EDITED: just wasn't appropriate the first post I did
:rolleyes: :lol: :lol: .
Damn there go my chances of being asked to be a mod, must remember to be more mature.

Only kidding mate, still listening to that tune you put on here, luvin' it. :)

[quote name='jakesbass' post='754829' date='Feb 23 2010, 11:23 AM']I generally let properly interested parties have a go, especially kids I'm with OG on that one, light the fire and all.
I never let pissed punters near my gear though and will defend with considerable force if necessary.
I once did a corporate gig for a leading firm of stadium builders (for the Manchester commonwealth games site launch) and a pissed up guy came up and asked the guitar player if he could have a go, the guitarist was a shy retiring type so I leaned over and asked the guy,
"what car do you drive?"
"Porsche" came the reply,
I said,
"tell you what, give me a bottle wine and your keys, and I'll let you go on his guitar"
He declined.[/quote]

Brilliant. Like the fact you asked for a bottle of wine as well, not just the keys, just to drive the point home.

From bitter experience I never let anyone near my gear, but since I'm 'inactive' at the moment there is little need to worry. The last time someone borrowed my gear they blew my amp apart. So now the answer is leave it alone.
Saying that I do let the kids sometimes have a small go, very supervised, so they get interested in music. That's where I draw the line.

Edited by Marvin

[quote name='Stan_da_man' post='755018' date='Feb 23 2010, 02:10 PM']. Who turns up to a jam night without an instrument anyway? Like turning up to play a football match without your kit.[/quote]

If I you in the house band at a jam it's your responsibility to supply a bass and amp for jammers to use. That's just how it work around here

Usally it's a Squier or somesuch and perfectly functional. However once I played a guy's orginal stack knob Jazz .. :) That was nice..

[quote name='crez5150' post='755108' date='Feb 23 2010, 03:43 PM']Some guy asked to have a play on my Kingbass at a wedding function...... wasn't happy when I said 'Ok, only if I can have a go on your mrs.... ' He wasn't that happy when he turned round to her and noticed that she had a big grin on her face....[/quote]

Trouble is when the guy's thinks that's a good deal ....

[quote name='arthurhenry' post='754772' date='Feb 23 2010, 10:24 AM']When I went back into the venue, he was sitting there playing my bass! - Unbelievable![/quote]

I would have gone ape...

I'm always a bit funny about people playing my main bass, even if I say they can have a quick go. I've got a bit of a situation in my band cos the singer is also a bass player so thinks it's ok to play my bass sometimes when I put it down at practise. It can be really annoying because he's quite a sloppy/agressive player.

With regards to amps, I don't mind people using my cab at all but it annoys the f*** out of me when someone assumes they can borrow your head/amp at a gig and then fiddles with all your settings and basically completely f***s up your sound. That makes me really angry and I've let rip at someone about it before...

With my Shuker i tell people exactly how it is... had to tell one of my university lecturers that it was a 21st birthday present and i'm still very precious with it, That and he didn't need to play the bass line to me because it was written on the page in front of me.. that he'd just given me..

[quote name='OldGit' post='755101' date='Feb 23 2010, 03:34 PM']If I you in the house band at a jam it's your responsibility to supply a bass and amp for jammers to use. That's just how it work around here[/quote]
I'm not in the house band though! I was just a muso attending with my bass. And before you ask it isn't a Squier. :)

This happened to me at a Wedding some tiime ago, the groom and some guests who seemed vaguely familiar asked to play our drums, guitar and bass. We had been warned the groom wanted to sing but not about the other instruments. Anyway, arsey me replied regarding his car keys to the prospective bassist.. at which the groom got a bit upset, so I relented. They played a couple of numbers very well: they were all either members of or well connected to a major league Indie band who I won't mention to spare my blushes ( as pros they knew not to trash our instruments)!

A couple of years ago I was at band practice and went outside for a crafty drag. I returned to find the drummer playing my bass, a cretinous, moon-faced grin pasted to the front of his egregiously mis-shapen head, as if to say "Look at what I'm doing! I can't keep time, learn songs or maintain civil punctuality but I [i]can play bass[/i]."

His ghastly girlfriend was present so I forebore to comment, but a noticeable 'atmosphere' ensued. I later shopped him to the FSA for certain professional financial irregularities of which he had he bragged.

My arm is long and my vengeance is total.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='Stan_da_man' post='755188' date='Feb 23 2010, 04:55 PM']I'm not in the house band though! I was just a muso attending with my bass. And before you ask it isn't a Squier. :rolleyes:[/quote]

Oh sure.. I was referring to the chap who was surprised that someone would go to a jam without an instrument.. That's just normal. You then use the house jam bass ..
Asking to use yours is unusual though :)

If someone takes an interest in my gear I usually offer them a go but only when I'm stood there with them. Can't stand it when people think its cool to just pick up your stuff though. I was doing a wedding once and this kid was gonna play some solo blues guitar. He basically thought he was seasick steve with his completely shafted 2 string guitar. He didn't have a strap so decided to take mine off my bass. I'd fitted some strap locks which he couldn't figure out so started trying to pull the strap off regardless. Gave him a massive verbal arse kicking and made him feel an inch tall.

Edited by AdamWoodBass

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='755195' date='Feb 23 2010, 05:02 PM']A couple of years ago I was at band practice and went outside for a crafty drag. I returned to find the drummer playing my bass, a cretinous, moon-faced grin pasted to the front of his egregiously mis-shapen head, as if to say "Look at what I'm doing! I can't keep time, learn songs or maintain civil punctuality but I [i]can play bass[/i]."

His ghastly girlfriend was present so I forebore to comment, but a noticeable 'atmosphere' ensued. I later shopped him to the FSA for certain professional financial irregularities of which he had he bragged.

My arm is long and my vengeance is total.[/quote]

Haha, harsh but fair...

It's not just the guitars you have to be careful with. My main instrument is the drums and my cymbals are worth £260 each and are all sonically matched. If one gets broken then it renders the others mismatched...

Anyway, basses/guitars can be repaired unless they get completely fecked but sadly a cymbal is a goner the moment it cracks or splits (which is sadly far too easy...)

I'm not at the point with bass yet where I have £1k+ kit so I'm not too worried about lending what I do have out. Providing the person asks and I know them I'm fine with it.

Edited by Bankai

[quote name='Bankai' post='755223' date='Feb 23 2010, 05:21 PM']I'm not at the point with bass yet where I have £1k+ kit...[/quote]

Which is probably why you've flippantly mentioned that they can be repaired :)

That's not really the point, and neither is the money...

I'm usually OK with letting people have a go on my basses, provided they ask, or I know them well enough.

I've also had a few drunken punter encounters though - the worst one was at a party for a dentists association football team. Or something like that. They were horrendously drunk before we even started playing, but at the end of the break we came back to the room to find a few of them on stage, pratting about with our gear. I went straight up to the moron with my bass and removed it from him, but all I could think to say was 'not cool' - I believe a level of professionalism was still required of me, despite the circumstances. I wish I could have laid into him more, but for two hindrances - the aforementioned professionalism; and a sudden loss of all verbal coherence when angry (although judging by this I am presumably blind with rage in 90% of social situations).

His response? A thousand yard stare, before stumbling silently off stage.