Why become a member? ×

"Can I have a go on your bass, mate?"

arthurhenry

[quote name='wolldav' post='757106' date='Feb 25 2010, 02:26 PM']I usually NEVER let any one play my bass. I play in a Gospel church band so its real hard to tell folks no. Myself and another bass player had a 4 day convention to play at. He did a couple days and i did the other. We both practiced the song sets together, he had his bass and i had mine. Day before the convention started he called to say his bass is acting up and if he could use mine. I felt a way but i told his yes. I was there at the days that i wasn't playing and he treated my bass with respect. He plays a Bass Collection and i play a Ken Smith, hence the nervousness.

Another time recently i bought the New Shuttle 9.0 Genz. I was in church playing and after church the band usually jams, one of the drummers that weren't playing came up and said WOW thats a small amp but yet so power full... As i was jamming with the band he bends down and starts to turn buttons, volume, bass, treble, etc. he then started to puss of the 3 buttons to the right.... My blood was boiling because i was in a church setting i could'nt re-act in an inapporiate way... I then stopped playing, packed up my stuff and went home. My head is sweating now just thinking about it.....

Now, i would not lend out my gear or let anyone play my bass unless i was 100% sure that they could afford to replace it.[/quote]

You could consider Palms 112:5
"It is well with the man who deals generously and lends. "

However I'd be tempted to quote Proverbs 2:22 "the borrower is the slave of the lender" and ask if they'd like to be my slave.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='757884' date='Feb 26 2010, 09:09 AM']I would reply with "can I have a go on your missus?", I don't hold my bass in that high esteem but it's worth a try.[/quote]

...and some people don't hold their other half in that high esteem either :)

[quote name='OldGit' post='757877' date='Feb 26 2010, 08:58 AM']You could consider Palms 112:5 - "It is well with the man who deals generously and lends. " However I'd be tempted to quote Proverbs 2:22 - "the borrower is the slave of the lender" and ask if they'd like to be my slave.[/quote]
Well, if we're going all quotational, like:

[i]"Neither a borrower nor a lender be; for loan oft loseth both itself and friend"[/i] - Wm. Spokeshave, the Bad of Avon

Edited by skankdelvar

Because I use a 6 string people often want a go because of the novelty value.

Like I said on the thread about how people treat their instruments, I just see it as a tool. So long as I don't worry that someone's about to tear the neck off or swing it around their head by the strings, I'm happy to let whoever play it (under my watchful eye of course).

People I know well (particularly bandmates), I don't mind if they just pick it up and have a twiddle without asking.

I've not gigged my new amp (and it's going back anyway) but I doubt I'll let anyone use that for a while when it's sorted. My old amp got used by any and all though. One band we played with recently was shocking though, they needed to use a guitar amp, drum stands and kick pedal and a bass amp. The drummer and guitarist in my band both got asked (and grudgingly agreed) and the bass player just plugged into my amp. To make it even worse, the amp was clipping for half of the sound check before I realised what he'd done and had a stern word or two. It was their first gig so maybe they hadn't quite cottoned on to gigging etiquette but I don't think I'd ever have the nerve to use anything worth hundreds of pounds without permission. They were very apologetic though and drinks were bought so there were no hard feelings.