Why become a member? ×

"Can I have a go on your bass, mate?"

arthurhenry

A lot of us are a bit precious over our instruments, so what's the best way of politely dealing with this unwelcome request, especially if they've just been eating crisps?

On one occasion I arrived at rehearsal for a pantomime gig and met the drummer for the first time in the car park, I carried some kit in including my bass in its case and returned to the car, crossing paths with the drummer again. When I went back into the venue, he was sitting there playing my bass! - Unbelievable!

[quote name='dudewheresmybass' post='754780' date='Feb 23 2010, 10:33 AM']once he's set his drums up, make sure you have a good old bash around his kit and see how he likes it!
preferably whilst he's stood there too[/quote]

This one can backfire horrendously. If he's not as precious about his gear as you are about yours, then he'll interpret this as meaning that the two of you can play on each others kit as and when you feel like it.

S.P.

When I was about 9 my sister's friend handed me his pale blue Fender Strat and that lit a fire..

I always let kids have a supervised go (young kids). Teens and older, it depends....

What that drummer did is totally inexcusable. Even if it was the crappiest bass in the world that's still outside of normal musician's etiquette.

I have learned by bitter experience not to lend kit. I will lend now but only to people I trust and know.

General rule is NO, I have had two amps ruined (including one vintage Trace head), and two basses damaged this way, and you get comments like:

I didn't mean to do it
Lucky it wasn't a new one
Sorry mate, suppose your insured then
Wasn't me, it was like that before i touched it

But, never any cash strangely

If someone had opened my case and started playing my bass I would have been really unhappy!

At the uni jam nights I go to, new bassists sometimes turn up without a bass, and I'm nice enough to let them play mine, with the half joke of 'just treat her nicely'. Coming back to find it being played without permission is just a different thing entirely, and something I certainly wouldn't be happy about.

I hope he came back to find you playing his drumsticks against a set of knives.

[quote name='Johnston' post='754809' date='Feb 23 2010, 11:05 AM']He is anal about his own stuff and worse about other peoples. It has been known for him to get the lend of something only for it to be returned in better condition, He went through a phase of borrowing guitars people had lying about giving them a full set up cleaning pots bit of polish etc gigging them a few times and handing them back :rolleyes: :lol: :lol:[/quote]

Brilliant! :)

Them: "Can I have a go on your bass?"
Me: "Sure, can I have a go on your wife?"

Not really, I'm generally not too bothered if it's someone I know asking, they'll know to be careful. If it's someone I don't I might still give them a go if they look alright but I'll be standing literally within inches poised to remove it from their grasp should anything spook me (like it transpiring that they're a drummer).

If they don't ask, hackles do rise.

Kids, no worries, in a carpetted, padded environment!

I generally let properly interested parties have a go, especially kids I'm with OG on that one, light the fire and all.
I never let pissed punters near my gear though and will defend with considerable force if necessary.
I once did a corporate gig for a leading firm of stadium builders (for the Manchester commonwealth games site launch) and a pissed up guy came up and asked the guitar player if he could have a go, the guitarist was a shy retiring type so I leaned over and asked the guy,
"what car do you drive?"
"Porsche" came the reply,
I said,
"tell you what, give me a bottle wine and your keys, and I'll let you go on his guitar"
He declined.

[quote name='jakesbass' post='754829' date='Feb 23 2010, 11:23 AM']"what car do you drive?"
"Porsche" came the reply,[/quote]

Boxster then ..
had it been a 911 the reply would have been "911"
:)

i never let anyone play my saxes, despite being asked more than for my basses. Just way too easy to damage... plus the business end goes in your mouth :rolleyes:

Edited by OldGit

Once at a gig my bass was on it's stand right at the back of the stage (behind the curtain) when the support bands bassist bust a string. I was stood there and saw him put his bass down and disappear somewhere, I assumed he'd gone to grab his spare only to find him come back out from behind the curtain with my bass! Cheeky little f***er I was tempted to climb up on stage and knock the little sh*t out - if he'd have asked I wouldn't have minded that much but this made my blood boil.

Edited by firmo

We play a lot of gigs with another band. The bass player and I are always using each others kit (either I bring my amp, or he brings his).
A couple of weeks ago he forgot his bass! :) so used mine for his set.
Neither of us would have to ask BUT WE ALWAYS DO!

My point is, if someone I know asks to use my gear why would someone I don't know think they can just pick it up!
I would not have been a happy man :rolleyes:

[quote name='jakesbass' post='754829' date='Feb 23 2010, 11:23 AM']I generally let properly interested parties have a go, especially kids I'm with OG on that one, light the fire and all.
I never let pissed punters near my gear though and will defend with considerable force if necessary.
I once did a corporate gig for a leading firm of stadium builders (for the Manchester commonwealth games site launch) and a pissed up guy came up and asked the guitar player if he could have a go, the guitarist was a shy retiring type so I leaned over and asked the guy,
"what car do you drive?"
"Porsche" came the reply,
I said,
"tell you what, give me a bottle wine and your keys, and I'll let you go on his guitar"
He declined.[/quote]

That is excellent :)

We did a gig for a lesbian internet forum meet-up. Tough crowd at the beginning but warmed to us. There was one terrifying point at the end of our second set break when we saw two of them pissed out of their heads on the stage: one behind the kit and one holding the guitarist's Les Paul. We didn't care about the kit (not ours) but we were all on edge until we got the guitar back. Thankfully nothing was damaged but I can't stand pissed punters who think they can touch whatever they like. Chicken wire is the only way!

I have huge issues with people using/taking my stuff, I dont even let my girlfriend take food from my plate. I have never had insurance so never want to take the risk of getting gear damaged by people because are they really going to pay up if it gets broken? unlikely.

In the good old days it didn't bother me as my basses were cheap but over the past few years I have become more protective as values have gone up. My two best friends are guitarists and I really have to bite my tongue when they pick up by basses. When it comes to general public though, I just simply say in a nice light hearted way "im sorry I wont even let my band memebers touch my gear" or "yup if you can give me a £900 deposit in case it gets broken" People usually completely understand and dont take it badly.