Why become a member? ×

More Stingray/ G&L questions

machinehead

[quote name='funkgod' post='773659' date='Mar 13 2010, 03:45 PM']The G&L every time,
all the guys i know who have had stingrays have or is looking to switch to the g&l there is no doubt it is a natural progression, and the quality and sounds are better, all the stingrays i have had suffer from a weak G string volume and there is not a dam thing you can do about it, i know we have covered this in another thred. i have just retired my wal after 20 years of abuse and the L2000 is the closest thing in terms of power, tightness, range of sounds that i can get, it does everything with power. the red G&L in the pic is an early one, and i use it all the time now and is the dogs. the dam thing is just ALIVE !! with a slap sound that will pin you to the back wall.

[attachment=44724:IMG_1066.jpg][/quote]

is this the tribute series - or do u have a US model?

[quote name='bassbluestew' post='756089' date='Feb 24 2010, 02:03 PM']Description of a Pbass on steriods is EXTREMELY accurate. Not a Ray on steriods as some folks would have you believe.[/quote]

This thread has got me interested in the G&L basses now.

While i love my Duck Dunn im experimenting by only taking my Sub to gigs, and was hoping to work my way up towards a "real" SR4 this year.
But i think no matter how much i love the tone i get from my Sub ill miss the P.

I wouldn't expect to get a 100% P or SR tone from a G&L2000 but if im reading this right, as long as i dont expect to nail either tones the G&L might be better for me as a 1 bass does it all.

Ill keep an eye on this thread. I'm not getting rid of my DD yet but maybe later this year.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='Jigster' post='773853' date='Mar 13 2010, 08:19 PM']is this the tribute series - or do u have a US model?[/quote]

hello both are usa, the natural one on the left is a 1989 with the rare "leo fender" signiture on the headstock he was asked to remove it by fender i belive,
the red one on the right is an earlyer one just as they changed the headstock and has a different preamp chip, same sounds bit more attack in the higher mids so great for that HONK slap sound. more of a NAAAHH really !!
both are very heavy, which i like (and use too from comming from the wal !) the stingray is alot lighter and feels abit flimsey and dare i say it ....cheap !! in comparison which to be fair it is, the g&L is as solid as a tank as any G&L owner will tell you.
as "dub junkie" has said you need to get them on stage playing loud,on the stingray it frustrates me trying to get the bottom end to sit tight any one who has a tried a stingray and then a wal or a L2000 will know exactly what i mean, there is that "wooly" low i hate, the g&L on the other hand just leave everything flatt on the EQ and the bottom end is like a bass drum going off its as tight as a gnats chuff and will give any band a SOLID ground i use a swr 500 pro with a swr 6X10 for big gigs and a swr red head for the smaller gigs even through the 2x10 redhead its a bigger sound with the g&L, as the 2x10s are not trying to push the low wooly signals of the stingray, just a much more compact sound of the G&L,
that my personal take on it,

As a couple of cheaper alternatives, why not try an Ibanez ATK up against a 'Ray, and and one of the more expensive Ibanez SRXs instead of a G&L / Tribute.

I own a 'Ray 5 and an SRX700. The last G&L I played was superb (an ASAT), but IIRC they don't have a blend pot, so that ruled it out. The last ATK I played was considerably better than the £400 price tag would have suggested...

bealive me try out the ultimate vesalite stingray HH i have it in white and i will sell my H model soon. It sounds like a pure stingray when you have bridge H on and there is neck room for slap that bongo does not have, looks beautiful and finally is better than the 2eq in my opinion. Is better that the 2 eq because simply in the 5 position of the switch you ll need the middle knob i use it to get the sound i want..

Correct me or wrong you always have to compare simple pickups with dual pickups the best way to compare is the HH model Vs G&L

here are the pics for you

Edited by KERMITNT

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='774019' date='Mar 14 2010, 12:20 AM']I wouldn't expect to get a 100% P or SR tone from a G&L2000 but if im reading this right, as long as i dont expect to nail either tones the G&L might be better for me as a 1 bass does it all.[/quote]

correct! the MFD pickups do have their own sound and the tri-tone circuit is a bit quirky (no mids/no pan control/bass and treble cut only)
they bridge the gap between fenders and musicman imo and they are hard to beat for versatility

[quote name='dub_junkie' post='775214' date='Mar 15 2010, 01:41 PM']correct! the MFD pickups do have their own sound and the tri-tone circuit is a bit quirky (no mids/no pan control/bass and treble cut only)
they bridge the gap between fenders and musicman imo and they are hard to beat for versatility[/quote]

Thanks.

If only i could get over the funny shaped headstock.

[quote name='tonyf' post='754523' date='Feb 22 2010, 11:19 PM']...I think the Stingray is a unique sound, absolutely, no question. There's nothing out there which sounds as "stingray" as a erm Stingray.

Probably because of the lineage of design, the G&L's I've owned (2 x ASAT's, 1 x L2500) have been much more "Fender" than "Musicman". I think that maybe Leo went off from Fender, did the genius of the Ray but then came back to a more "traditional" "best of both" design that became the G&L.

The G&L kinda gets close to the "MM" sound but the construction, pickups and preamp are much more Fender'y to me. The best "Precision on steroids" sound ....[/quote]
+100

[quote name='throwoff' post='776173' date='Mar 16 2010, 12:47 PM']Im going to chuck a curveball into the mix now

G&L tribute basses are made by Cort in the Far East.

To many this would not be an issue but I personally would have a hard time justifying the cost of a Tribute when a Cort is so much cheaper.[/quote]

So are Lakland skylines and they cost even more money.

just saying.

Of course, im not claiming G&L are the only ones to do it by any stretch of the imagination.
But still, I do feel the price is unjustifiable when an instrument built by the sames hands and machines rolls of the line with a different logo and is half the price

[quote name='Mickeyboro' post='775231' date='Mar 15 2010, 01:54 PM']I'm interested in the 1989 Fender signature thing as I have an '89 L-1000 with Leo Fender signature on. Anyone know more about this controversy?[/quote]

Ive a few with the leo fender sig logo on the headstock decal, just though it was his way of saying, look its me ???

You might all want to duck as this curve ball comes in!................
You might want to forget both MM & G&L and go for a Sandberg California JM4 (or JM5 if you prefer).
I have both a 79 Ray and an 89 G&L Asat. They're both great basses and I would never part with either, especially the Ray, which I'm pleased to say does not have a weak G string.
However for all-round quality and ability to cover all sounds/basses in this thread, it is the dogs.........
You can dial in a very good MM sound and you've got all the options of Jazz sounds and it can be passive or active.
The treble and bass tone controls are both cut and boost too, for added flexibility.
These California JMs have captured the magic of Leo's bass DNA and taken it to the next place he may well have gone after G&L, had he stayed with us longer.
The Sandberg California can cover a lot of the same territory as the G&L Asat or L-2000 too.

• 1 month later...

Musicman Stingrays have the profile and do sound great, but I've always thought they've sold as many basses to those thought they sounded good to those who love the headstock 3+1 and teardrop pickguard look. I've recorded and gigged with loads, pre ernie balls, 20th anniversarys, 2 bands 3 bands and...

G+Ls blow them out the water every time!

I've owned an ASAT for the last ten years and it's the only bass I play. I know she weighs a ton and the balance isn't great but she sounds so good! With Stingrays you can hear the battery, especially the 3 bands which drive me nuts. You can plug this bass into anything and get a good sound, great for those gigs where you have to use the house rig or go straight into the desk.

But you guys can stick to your Rays, gets me more work!

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Bassnut62' post='776452' date='Mar 16 2010, 06:14 PM']You might all want to duck as this curve ball comes in!................
You might want to forget both MM & G&L and go for a Sandberg California JM4 (or JM5 if you prefer).
I have both a 79 Ray and an 89 G&L Asat. They're both great basses and I would never part with either, especially the Ray, which I'm pleased to say does not have a weak G string.
However for all-round quality and ability to cover all sounds/basses in this thread, it is the dogs.........
You can dial in a very good MM sound and you've got all the options of Jazz sounds and it can be passive or active.
The treble and bass tone controls are both cut and boost too, for added flexibility.
These California JMs have captured the magic of Leo's bass DNA and taken it to the next place he may well have gone after G&L, had he stayed with us longer.
The Sandberg California can cover a lot of the same territory as the G&L Asat or L-2000 too.[/quote]

I agree with that. I've tried a few Sandbergs and fallen in love with pretty much every one. Fabulous tone.

• 6 months later...

I thought I'd dig up this old thread because I remembered that I had never posted the outcome.

I went for a G&L L2000 Tribute.

It's everything that people reported them to be. The range of sounds is huge and when the bands playing the bass still gets heard. It does a thick P sound, nasally jazz bridge pickup sound and a lovely soft tone using both pickups. I don't really know how close to a Stingray it gets because I've never owned a Stingray. I think its OK.

I like it for what it is itself sound-wise, as well as it's ability to emulate the other very popular and familiar Fender sounds.

Using the bass and treble cut knobs adds more variety and the series/parallel switch changes the sound and frequencies quite dramatically. I don't like the volume change when you use this switch though.

I find myself using it passive and even so, the output is massive. It seems hard to tame the sound until you get used to it.

The neck is wide but shallow and I find it easy to play but I'm not as fussy about neck dimensions as others seem to be. I did a set up, and the action, intonation and feel is now to a very high standard. It wasn't bad at all to start with but it's now set up to my preference.

The build is solid and the weight is just over 9lbs. It sits easily and comfortably on the strap.

(My decision in no way takes away from the Stingray. I just decided that the Stingrays are comparitively over-priced and the G&L is not as much, and it's more versitile. That is just my decision and not Stingray bashing in any way.)

Frank.

Good man!

I've searched for my 'holy grail' for 2 years and found it with a G&L Tribute. In fact I love its versatility sooo much that I bought another! Both maple boards.
I've owned (and still own) some really nice expensive Fenders but could never decide whether to take a Jazz or a P to church. Now it's no problem, I just have to decide what colour :)

Glad you're pleased with your choice.

These things are always going to be be subjective. Unless you have plenty of room and cash you're probably going to fall into the MM or G&L camp.

I'm on the MM side though I did dip my toe in the water a couple of years back with a US L2500 - which I subsequently px'd against a Ray5. Why - personal preference on the basis of:

- Slimmer neck profile on the Ray
- Weight, amazingly the Ray5 was a good pound lighter!
- I found the controls on the L2500 too complicated in a gigging situation
- The L2500 developed a crack in the neck pocket stored overnight in it's case (probably the paint) and I found G&L hopeless in terms of tech support (unlike EBMM and Strings and Things)

Sorry I sound biassed, maybe I was unlucky in my experience and maybe my expectations were too high of the G&L. Also, while I'm sure there were some good sounds in the G&L it took an effort to extract them wheras on the Ray5 (for me) it was flat/flat/flat and flick the switch to suit.

Love rays, love g&l - like a dog with two bones.
Agree that g&l is more fender than the mm.
A big factor that you might want to consider is that the L2000 or asat sound great in active or passive. The ray is only active.
Everything else has already been said I reckon