Why become a member? ×

How Can You Justify Spending £5,350 on a New Bass??

xilddx

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='752159' date='Feb 20 2010, 08:18 PM']If you have the means to fund it, you don't have to justify it.[/quote]
And that's pretty much it in a nutshell. The money's yours to spend and you don't have to [i]justify[/i] it to anyone. It doesn't make you an idiot from Middlesex or anywhere else.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='752859' date='Feb 21 2010, 03:07 PM']Because someone can afford to buy it doesnt make them an idiot - In the same way as not being able to afford to buy one makes you a f++kin genius......

Am I an idiot because I can afford to, and am going to spec and buy a 5 string Private Stock PRS that will be a complete 1 off.......?
Am I an idiot because I can afford to and WILL go to the factory to pick it up as part of a holiday.....?

Please tell me I am then that will make me feel much better.

[b]Why do you find it necassary to judge people and then brand them.....? Please stop it.[/b][/quote]

Because I got turned down for a job at Netto.

[quote name='SteveK' post='752769' date='Feb 21 2010, 01:36 PM']These basses would generally be aimed at the pro wanting something a little different, and I'm sure the manufacturer would expect it to be of limited appeal.

As for cost - I can see nothing wrong in spending that kind of money, or more, on a bass. In any case, it would be tax allowable, reducing the real cost.[/quote]
was about to say that.

£5000 minus VAT is only £4255, a billy bargin there!

[quote name='silddx' post='752339' date='Feb 20 2010, 11:29 PM']What if it's "the one" in April and not by October? You'll have lost three grand at least when you sell it.[/quote]

If it called out to me I doubt if I would be selling it on. I still have the P Bass my dad got me in '75, the Stingray I got in '79 and the Warwick I got in '00. I've moved on a number of basses but not that many.

Thing is, if I want it and can afford it, I would buy it. Would I buy a Gus, probably not but I haven't tried one so I would never dismiss buying one. The point I'm making is that often people criticise others for spending what they consider is a lot of money on something they wouldn't, or couldn't afford to. I look at the Gus and know that there is a lot of time put into making these instruments, and they are unique. I would think anyone buying one would be in it for the bass and not the investment potential. Not sure how you would value a second Gus as I've not seen/noticed any come onto the market.

Got me thinking now......

[quote name='silddx' post='752014' date='Feb 20 2010, 06:20 PM']How is it possible to justify that spend on a new bass? And how in the name of Enid Blyton can BGM give it four out of five stars for Value For Money?[/quote]

do you need justify your spendings if you have the money?

as for the 4 stars for VFM, that certainly sounds a bit crazy!

I took the time to read the review, and from an engineering, and time to produce point of view, I can understand the asking price. Is this bass for me? Erm, no. Is it VFM? It would have to be something pretty special.

Would I personally spend that kind of money on a bass? Yeap!! But it would have to be something that is absolutely sublime, a completely faultless work of art, that is so beautiful to play, I would never want to put it down :)

For that kind of money, I would be looking at something like an Alembic.

To me, if something looks and is built like it should cost a lot of money, then fine - let it cost lots of money. If someone has obviously made it a labour of love, put their hear and soul into making it, then I think it only fair that the price reflects the quality of what you are getting.

Ritter Royals - many many people think they are too expensive, a price you can't justify etc, but becasuse there are people out there who have very deep pockets and will buy something just becasue they like it (not nesicerily becasue they need it or can even use it), it has allowed Jens Ritter to do exactly what he wants to do with his life and make beautiful instruments. And some even find their way into the hands of very good musicians!

I cannot justify spending £5,350 on a bass based upon my playing ability. I can't justify £500 on a bass for the same reason - but, becasue its what I enjoy I have spent more than £500 on several basses/guitars and I use my love of playing as my justification for buying them. If I were to win the lottery or something, dispite not being able to justify owning one based upon my ability, I would order a Ritter Royal as soon as I could, simply becasue I think they are so beautiful.

I would not, however, be buying any Gus G3's... :wacko:

Its certainly different from the coffee table basses in the same kind of price range.

personally it looks like a cross between a ceramic toilet seat and one of those exercise contraptions that you push the bars together to work your pecs.

but if I played one and it sounded exactly how I wanted a bass to sound, played better than any other bass I'd ever played, hung perfectly on a strap, made me want to become a better player and I had the money to buy it [i][b]then[/b][/i] I would be making the decision whether or not to buy it - I couldn't decide that right now as I don't have the funds at hand to even consider it.

The point I am trying to make is that most people here are making a decision based on a picture and I would take a guess that most of us could not afford to buy one right now either.

I am very happy with my Honda Civic but if I came into a silly amount of money then I would be heading off to buy myself a Bugatti Veyron even though the Civic does everything I need a car to do very well.

Edited by Delberthot

[quote name='silddx' post='752014' date='Feb 20 2010, 06:20 PM']I've just read the Gus G3 review in this month's Bass Guitar Magazine.

I simply can not understand that its aesthetics and the minor advances in ergonomics, build quality, and tonal quality and variety is worth spending about THREE AND A HALF THOUSAND QUID extra than your average high end Warwick or some such. I understand how much it costs to build it, but that does not justify its "core worth" as a bass.

If you have money to burn, no problem, I still think you would be totally wasting it on something providing so little extra benefit, and with two chrome saveloys attached to it.

I'm sure it's fabulous, but it is certainly not £4,000 more fabulous than my Corvette $$.

How is it possible to justify that spend on a new bass? And how in the name of Enid Blyton can BGM give it four out of five stars for Value For Money?

Bloody ridiculous.[/quote]

Maybe to somebody it's worth £4000 more than your Corvette, because they may absolutely love it and think your Corvette stinks. I honestly can't believe we're still having these threads, they're so idiotic. "I don't get it so they're wrong" is one of the basic problems with human nature and is why I think 90% of people on the face of the earth are imbeciles. What its worth to you is completely, utterly irrelevant. I could paint you a pretty good picture, but it would not (to those who care) be a Degas. Whether that mattered to you means nothing to those to whom it [i]does[/i] matter. I tell you what, if I had £10,000 I'd go out and get another custom built Alembic and to me it would be worth every penny, while I wouldn't give you £50 for a Warwick Double Buck (or most other basses).

I guess research and build costs have pushed the price up, especially if they've recognised that they will have limited appeal and they'll only sell a limited number.

Give it a couple of years and if they are still making them the price will drop.

There are people around who would be happy owning and playing them just because it grabs attention just like headless basses did in the 80's, and still do to a certain extent.

£5k on it might be worth it if its going to become a collectors item. Buy one and store it, especially if it has a serial number in the low 100s. There are plenty of people who do that.

[quote name='4000' post='753345' date='Feb 21 2010, 10:50 PM']Maybe to somebody it's worth £4000 more than your Corvette, because they may absolutely love it and think your Corvette stinks. I honestly can't believe we're still having these threads, they're so idiotic. "I don't get it so they're wrong" is one of the basic problems with human nature and is why I think 90% of people on the face of the earth are imbeciles. What its worth to you is completely, utterly irrelevant. I could paint you a pretty good picture, but it would not (to those who care) be a Degas. Whether that mattered to you means nothing to those to whom it [i]does[/i] matter. I tell you what, if I had £10,000 I'd go out and get another custom built Alembic and to me it would be worth every penny, while I wouldn't give you £50 for a Warwick Double Buck (or most other basses).[/quote]
OK Einstein, why don't you stick to the Theory and Technique section then.

To me it's interesting from an economic and human behaviour perspective. If you don't, and think it's puerile, fine, that's cool, but don't start belittling threads like this, most of us don't have your insight and intelligence.

[quote name='silddx' post='753357' date='Feb 21 2010, 11:03 PM']OK Einstein, why don't you stick to the Theory and Technique section then.

To me it's interesting from an economic and human behaviour perspective. If you don't, and think it's puerile, fine, that's cool, but don't start belittling threads like this, most of us don't have your insight and intelligence.[/quote]

That's really funny, because its [i]you[/i] who are belittling people's intelligence by continually posting negative threads like this which are (as I've already stated) basically "I think (insert x) is bollocks and everyone who thinks otherwise is a tosser". Rather than think " I don't really get it but it doesn't really matter" you seem intent on having a go at people. Everyone is free to make there own decisions and what they do with there money is up to them. I doubt I'd pay that much for a GUS but that doesn't make people who would wrong. Just because somebody sees worth in something that you don't it doesn't make them an idiot. In fact on current evidence I'd say that makes them a f*****g genius.

[quote name='4000' post='753372' date='Feb 21 2010, 11:21 PM']That's really funny, because its [i]you[/i] who are belittling people's intelligence by continually posting negative threads like this which are (as I've already stated) basically "I think (insert x) is bollocks and everyone who thinks otherwise is a tosser". Rather than think " I don't really get it but it doesn't really matter" you seem intent on having a go at people. Everyone is free to make there own decisions and what they do with there money is up to them. I doubt I'd pay that much for a GUS but that doesn't make people who would wrong. Just because somebody sees worth in something that you don't it doesn't make them an idiot. In fact on current evidence I'd say that makes them a f*****g genius.[/quote]
I was going to issue a rebuttal, but you know what? I can't be arsed.

EDIT: Except to say you appear to be pissed off with me rather than the thread.

Edited by silddx

[quote name='4000' post='753386' date='Feb 21 2010, 11:31 PM']Good, cause I can't either. Vent over. :)

EDIT: I'm generally pissed off with everyone who can't live and let live. Of course there's a monumental irony in there but hey, that's life. :rolleyes:[/quote]

Well, sorry, but it's attitude and debate that have elevated us from the stone age mate. You're having a crack at my thread, or me, you are not living and letting live are you.

Perhaps you are happy to let Mugabe live. Who knows? I just find your attitude today a bit arsey and not conducive to healthy debate. Normally I admire you greatly, today you are sounding a bit, well ..

[quote name='4000' post='753386' date='Feb 21 2010, 11:31 PM']Good, cause I can't either. Vent over. :rolleyes:

EDIT: I'm generally pissed off with everyone who can't [u][b]live and let live[/b][/u]. Of course there's a monumental irony in there but hey, that's life. :lol:[/quote]
Live and let live is akin to continually sitting on that fence, which becomes ultimately very painful. If you see something you don't agree with, that you think is wrong or morally indefensible then stand up and say your piece.

The price tag is ridiculous, no amount of r&d or cost of materials and labour could justify the amount asked for that instrument, the figures simply don't stack up.
And if someone wants to criticise the notion someone else is willing to pay that much, then they should.

Now where did I put that moral compass of mine. :)

Referring to spat above, AFAIC, if its perfectly OK to debate whether footballer 'x' is worth £y million (which virtually everybody who likes football will happily do), then there's no reason this doesn't apply to other walks of life, be they basses, fine art or anything else.

And I'm afraid I think GUS guitars just look like something you would see being played in the obligatory band-playing-in-a-bar-while-hero-drowns-sorrows scene in a 70s sci-fi film

£5K isn't a lot of money to many people. Every year tens of thousands of new car owners loose way more than that in their first year's depreciation. At least with GUS basses you have something for your money!

Edited by chris_b

We still get off lightly compared to a violinist or double bassist who are looking at spending £20,000 + just to gte a half decent instrument - no matter I'm not sure about 5.5K for the GUS - or a Fodera for that matter - but F basses are similar in price and so are a few other European luthiers (Ritter and Jerzy Drozd) - so lots of other instruments that are in that price bracket....

[quote name='Clarky' post='753460' date='Feb 22 2010, 06:23 AM']And I'm afraid I think GUS guitars just look like something you would see being played in the obligatory band-playing-in-a-bar-while-hero-drowns-sorrows scene in a 70s sci-fi film[/quote]
Given your three 70s Fenders, I'd be amazed if you [u]did[/u] like it :)