Why become a member? ×

GAS hits of 2010

Linus27

Could not find a GAS hits thread for 2010 so I thought I would start one.

Not sure whats happening to me but I seem to be going through a faze of vulgar greed and just want to keep buying lots of basses, despite havings some wonderful, amazing basses that I am truely happy with. It's like I am having a second childhood of bass buying. I love my MIA Fender Jazz 75, my Stingray 3EQ and my newly purchased Warwick Corvette standard. However, I now want the following for no reason at all apart from just wanting them. I just want to own and play lots of basses. Well, maybe around 8.

1. Fender Precision MIA or Lakland Duck Dunn. I so want that Precision tone in my collection.

2. Lakland Darryl Jones in black with maple neck and matching black headstock. I used to own a Darryl Jones and it was not to my liking but the black one for sale on here looks stunning. I just want it.

3. Warwick Streamer $$ or LX is red like Stuart Zenders. I so love my Warwick Corvette that I just want another Warwick. This time a Streamer.

I even looked at a Hohner Jack bass for some bizarre reason. Maybe I just want to own a headless bass or maybe it was because I was watching some Curosity Killed The Cat videos. Over it now.

Anyway, can't afford any of it for a long time but the GAS is there.

Whats on your GAS list at the moment??

Well it never stops, does it? It does when you are skint, but then with some really good cheap basses around, we are spoiled for choice. I tend to always pay up front for stuff and avoid buying things on credit cause you end up shelling out a lot more and that is never recoverd when / if you sell it on.

I tend to save up then spend. that way I know its my money, but cheap basses I get with pocket change and its a right laugh.

I hope never to grow up

[quote name='neepheid' post='745407' date='Feb 14 2010, 11:48 PM']Nothing, honest guv!

Having said that, I just bought a Tokai Thunderbird for a laugh on Friday :)[/quote]

ha ha I did the same! How you finding it? Good tone, good action I thought - fretboard v playable, body, not so sure - well made bugger tho

[quote name='bass5' post='745421' date='Feb 15 2010, 12:09 AM']Well it never stops, does it? It does when you are skint, but then with some really good cheap basses around, we are spoiled for choice. I tend to always pay up front for stuff and avoid buying things on credit cause you end up shelling out a lot more and that is never recoverd when / if you sell it on.

I tend to save up then spend. that way I know its my money, but cheap basses I get with pocket change and its a right laugh.

I hope never to grow up[/quote]

abso+1lutely!

Oh yeah - Frank Bello signature on it's way this week :)

Edited by KiOgon

I've had a bad gear start to 2010.

I use a Johnson J-Station for all my guitar sounds and that went kaput after 9 years of solid service :) Then 2 days later my Tascam BT-01 went up the spout as well. The J-Station's been replaced by a POD XT, but that's put a dent in the finances which will have to be fixed before anything else.

Saying that though, my wife did buy me an Encore 30" scale bass for Valenstine's Day so it's not all bad :rolleyes:

GAS for 2010 would be a Conklin AC50 string, a thing of piezo-only loveliness :brow:

Edited by 7string

[quote name='witterth' post='745449' date='Feb 15 2010, 12:52 AM']Linus....
I'm still thinking about that Kiera Knightly/Sandra Bullock swap? do you? naaa? (its between us guys) :lol:
a stingray thing.....[/quote]

HEHEHE I must admit, it does cross my mind also, in fact Saturday night. I could quite happily have a bit of Sandra Bullock :):) I gave Keira a bit of a clean and wipe down and new strings and she is singing real sweet :rolleyes:

I'm pretty much GAS-free (well I will be in a few weeks time when a VERY special bass arrives).....

BUT....

I'd still [i]like[/i] the following at some point:

Spector Forte-X (New Spectorbird model)
Hamer Impact (early 90's model - in black &/or white)
Fender 'Geddy Lee' in Sunburst
Fender 'Steve Harris' Precision
Fender 'Aerodyne' Jazz (non-scratchplate version)
Jackson 'Thunderbird' (early 90's model)

[quote name='7string' post='745437' date='Feb 15 2010, 12:34 AM']GAS for 2010 would be a Conklin AC50 string, a thing of piezo-only loveliness :brow:[/quote]
Surely a Carvin, not a Conklin?

Personally, I seem quite fixated on an 8 string guitar. Can I play it? Barely. Can I justify it? Absolutely not. Can I afford it? Nope. Do I want one anyway? Totally.

Disclaimer- I would get a long scale one so its practically a bass :)

I've already done a fair bit of buying and selling on the pedal front so far this year, that's all finished for the time being.

There are lots of basses I'd like to try/own but I'm in no hurry to buy them this year. A Status S2 and a Rickenbacker being top of the list, but as I said I'll save those for later on in life. The only bass that I can see myself buying this year will be an American Fender Jazz to go with my Japanese ’75 RI Fender Jazz. I'm not desperately after anything at the moment though so if I do buy anything it'll be later on in the year.

Got beaten to a Dean Stylist Cabbie on the bay last night!gutted, it was all I was looking for! :)
Failing that, i am now on the look out for a 70´s black on black maple boarded P bass.
Also a Trace Elliot head-don´t know which one yet, but got a trace 2x15 cab as a part ex, so something to go with that would be nice-thinking of using it as a DB rig.

Edited by basshead56

I'll come clean; I've been gassing for a 32" scale Bordwell bass for the last two years - ever since I played Davo's beauty.

Examples thus (not Davo's bass):

The smoothest fretted bass I ever played

Works out too expensive for me because of the exchange rate, bank charges, import duties and shipping, VAT etc. Shame.