Why become a member? ×

Carvin Basses - Why Have They Never 'Made It' Over Here?

merello

Carvin never sold their products outside of the USA until recently.

The site is [url="http://www.carvinworld.com"]Carvin World[/url] and prices are keen to say the least. They also quote for shipping and taxes.

You can also go through the options and see how much your exact bass would cost. All good fun :)

i don't think they ever "made it" over here either. i've maybe seen 3 or 4 carvin basses (used) in a music store in my life, and i've never seen anyone playing one live, ever. this is over almost 30 years of being involved in music. i remember the 1 or 2 i played being well made, and very solid. i guess it's the mail order thing, you just can't go & buy one if you've got $$$ burning a hole in your pocket.

• 2 years later...

I play a Carvin LB70P had it made in states and imported it back cost £810 15 years ago. Its my Number One for Live Work. Never fails and can do anything. Its all in the material its made from American walnut wings, maple neck ebony fingerboard, thru neck and carbon reinforced neck. Its a bit fancy but does the job. Id only change it for an SB4000

They had no UK distributor for a long time. There was a store down south somewhere that used to import Carvin products (I recall because my brother looked at their Legacy amps), but they were no cheaper than just importing one yourself. The thing was, they were 'cheap' on the Carvin website but became a lot more expensive once you'd paid a courier and all the import duties.

They are popular in America though, and I ove their Allan Holdsworth guitars.

Bass Gear are now a UK Supplier. They have Amps in stock with basses to follow.
I've got a Bunny Brunnel BB75 that had to be "re-necked". Job was done by Marleaux and it is my favourite Bass.
It is one of those Basses where you just plug in and play. Must admit the headstock isn't my favourite design, but the Marleaux one suits it a treat.
[attachment=115381:Marvin4.jpg][attachment=115382:Marvin2.jpg]

Mail order business model. It really is that simple to explain. No high street stores. No distributor. Didn't have anywhere you could "try before you buy". Did offer a money back "satisfaction" guarantee, but just how much use to you is that when you're in the UK, and you've had to shell out for international postage and duties/taxes just to try one out? Not that it would have mattered, as it didn't ship outside of the US. Then it did, but only if the order was over a base price. Seems it's now rethinking that approach, but can't see it getting any significant market share now that it's lost its main selling angle - that with no distribution costs it's cheaper for the purchaser than its competition.

[quote name='BassBunny' timestamp='1344703770' post='1768191']
Bass Gear are now a UK Supplier. They have Amps in stock with basses to follow.
I've got a Bunny Brunnel BB75 that had to be "re-necked". Job was done by Marleaux and it is my favourite Bass.
It is one of those Basses where you just plug in and play. Must admit the headstock isn't my favourite design, but the Marleaux one suits it a treat.
[attachment=115381:Marvin4.jpg][attachment=115382:Marvin2.jpg]
[/quote]I remember that. Wasn't Ped and, or Kiwi a previous owner?

When I was [b]much [/b]younger Carvin were all kit guitars/basses (much the same as Schecter were at the time) and from a personal perspective I've never been able to sake that image off. I have a mate who built a Carvin kit bass and it wasn't awful or anything...nice wood, great quality hardware etc., but ultimately it was a [i]Carvin [/i]and for the money he could have landed a very nice Fender Jazz/Precision or Lakland Skyline. Eventually he moved over to a US Precision and the Carvin never leaves the house.

P

[quote name='steve-soar' timestamp='1344710421' post='1768302']
I remember that. Wasn't Ped and, or Kiwi a previous owner?
[/quote]
Ped and Eubassix both had their mits on it at one time or another. Awesome Bass and about to have a Glockenklang pre-amp installed.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1344715180' post='1768386']
The UK distributor priced me up a new SB 5 string and it ended up being as expensive as a USA Fender Deluxe.

In the USA the gear is excellent value.
[/quote]
shop in edinburgh, type Livemusicrocks edinburgh into google and you'll find a secondhand one- good condition too.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1344715180' post='1768386']
The UK distributor priced me up a new SB 5 string and it ended up being as expensive as a USA Fender Deluxe.

In the USA the gear is excellent value.
[/quote]

Agree.... and as much as you may not want to, no one is going to go Carvin over a Fender....assuming either is made well enough.

I have one at the moment. I say "at the moment" because it is about to move on again! However, it is only moving on because it is surplus to requirements and it's a choice between that one and my Geddy Lee - which I really love!

It is a beautifully made bass, with excellent quality materials and hardware. It sounds very good and is tonally very versatile due to effectively having three pickups as well as a three-band EQ. The neck is lovely and wide, which is what I like - although getting strings to fit the 35.25" scale and through-body stringing is a bit awkward!

If it wasn't for an ultimatum from Mrs C, I would happily keep it, gig it and record with it.

I do wonder though, if their lack of commercial success over here is also due to the fact that there seems to be no "stock" bass as such. As each is effectively made to order for each customer, they are all slightly different. There is no "off the peg" option, as it were.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1344755057' post='1768704']
Agree.... and as much as you may not want to, no one is going to go Carvin over a Fender....assuming either is made well enough.
[/quote]

I would and I love Fenders! What I've seen and heard of the SB5000, it's obviously a pretty serious bit of kit. If I was torn between two basses of the same value I'd take the best one, not the best known one.

[quote name='merello' timestamp='1264537013' post='725669']

B4

[url="http://www.carvinguitars.com/customshop/boltneckbasses.php"]http://www.carvingui...tneckbasses.php[/url]
[/quote]

I recently bought one of those right here on this forum. It's not as luxurious as the one you picture, mine doesn't have a flamed maple top and no gold hardware. It's a great instrument, especially for the mere 250 GBP I paid for it! Very well-made, plays like a dream, and sounds great. I've never understood why Carvin never managed to gain more popularity here, and why their resale value is so poor.

Here's a review I wrote:

[url="http://www.leftybassist.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3557"]http://www.leftybass...php?f=16&t=3557[/url]

[quote name='7string' timestamp='1264549502' post='725911']
Carvin never sold their products outside of the USA until recently.
[/quote]

Here in the Netherlands there have been two dedicated Carvin stores for a long time. One was a webshop that acted as an intermediary between the customer and Carvin and had basses built to order. The other was an actual store that had Carvin instruments in stock and was called the Carvin Music Store. They went bankrupt several years ago, unfortunately. I've also seen some new Carvins in another store here, but I suspect they bought some remaining stock of the Carvin Music Store after their bankruptcy.

Edited by LeftyJ

Here's yours truly with my Brothers Carvin. I've no idea what model it is tho'
Luckily...Mt Sister lives in San-Diego so my Bro' commissioned this Bass and had it sent to hers... It then came to Blighty as a...erm..."Birthday Present.
It's a cracking bass to play and it sounds really good too, not too shabby in the looks dept either.

Edited by kennyrodg

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1344712425' post='1768330']
When I was [b]much [/b]younger Carvin were all kit guitars/basses (much the same as Schecter were at the time) and from a personal perspective I've never been able to sake that image off. I have a mate who built a Carvin kit bass and it wasn't awful or anything...nice wood, great quality hardware etc., but ultimately it was a [i]Carvin [/i]and for the money he could have landed a very nice Fender Jazz/Precision or Lakland Skyline. Eventually he moved over to a US Precision and the Carvin never leaves the house.
[/quote]
Well I guess everyone has to start somewhere. I don't have the history hang-ups with basses but totally get it as feel the same about some guitar brands. Take a look at this factory vid. I love to see them getting painted and Carvin seem to be using a good combination of technology and hand building skills. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA6IukKYymE[/media]
I plan to get my hands on one next week-never played it yet but felt confident enough to buy after doing a bit of research and finding virtually nothing bad. I'll let you know what I think when I get my hands on it.

Edited by Pinball