Why become a member? ×

Bassday Slap Attack!

cureswhatailsye

Me and ped ran the Bass Direct stall there last year, it did get pretty intense ! There was a definitely volume war going on at times and by the end of the day I was totally 'bassed out'. Didn't play my basses for days afterwards !

Missed it this year for numerous reasons but glad to hear it went well.

I think that the problem is that the bass doesn't particularly lend itself to solo playing, so when bass players find themselves playing unaccompanied (especially when their peers are looking on) they tend to trot out their best slapping show piece (or tapping or whatever). I don’t of course, but if I could slap better I’m sure that I would!

You can’t help but think that a lot of people here do not have a great deal of confidence in their own playing and have a massive chip on their shoulders about others ‘showing off’ – get over it boys………

I think that from my perspective all the noise and general cacophony was much, much more than made up for by the event itself, the chance to see people like Yolanda and Nathan play and best of all catching up with old friends.

So thanks to Steve, Gary and Pris for an overall great day despite the 'sound control' issues.

I feel that if you let the volume put you off going you are missing something very rewarding, that's my thoughts anyway.

[quote name='peteb' post='664130' date='Nov 24 2009, 06:29 PM']You can’t help but think that a lot of people here do not have a great deal of confidence in their own playing and have a massive chip on their shoulders about others ‘showing off’ – get over it boys………[/quote]

Or that they have confidence and don't need to show off :)

EDIT: my typing just gets worse!

Edited by Alun

Man this thread has turned into a bit of a war. I feel bad now. I was just surprised having never been before.

But I agree with GreeneKing, it was a minor headache, but unavoidable, and the shows and clinics were great, Nathan's been my hero since I was a nipper, so it made up for it.

Lets spread the love...subjectivity is what the arts are all about eh?! :)

I left early but really enjoyed the bits that I was there for. The demo that I will remember was Dave Marks talking about how to build a groove with the rest of the band. Reminded me how much AC/DC and MJs music rocks.

The guy didnt slap once.

Edited by Mikey R

[quote name='tom-p_bass!' post='664537' date='Nov 24 2009, 11:39 PM']I was their to try out some new amps.. all i could hear around me was slap bass!! made it really hard to listen to the amp... but overall it was a brilliant day :)[/quote]

Same here, brought my bass along as well so i could hear what it would sound like. I plugged in once then gave up. :rolleyes:

Crikey-there's some right misreable,moaning music shop facists on here!

You may not like the way that Nige+co plays,but then so what?I know for a fact and first hand observation (having known him for over 20 years) that Nige has inspired young bassists to pick up an instrument and learn to play.
-how many of the purist "it's all a rattling noise and you can't use it in a track" whingers on this thread can honestly say that?
Why get all pious and "holier than thou purist" about someone playing a bass in a style or manner you don't like?Who cares?
Just walk on by-and leave the snide digs about a guy who's not only a top man (but also a great fingerstyle player) at home.
Nige is well known for what he does-as are the likes of Lemmy and Chris Wolstenholme.

If I attended a trade show no way would I stand there moaning that there "wasn't enough jazz" from Chris,or that "Lemmy didn't play any slap-I'm sick of that fuzz nonesense-it's just not real bass,man."

No I wouldn't.I'd simply accept it as part of the rich tapesty of musical styles-but not to my taste.

[quote name='slapmonsta' post='665806' date='Nov 26 2009, 12:44 AM']You may not like the way that Nige+co plays,but then so what?[/quote]

We're not stopping him from playing it, so what's the big deal? Honestly I don't know who you're talking about anyway. Was he the bloke out of Level 42?

[quote name='slapmonsta' post='665806' date='Nov 26 2009, 12:44 AM']Why get all pious and "holier than thou purist" about someone playing a bass in a style or manner you don't like?Who cares?[/quote]

I think the complaints weren't that one man wanted to slap his bass, more that hundreds of men insisted on slapping their basses simultaneously, at high volume.

[quote name='slapmonsta' post='665806' date='Nov 26 2009, 12:44 AM']No I wouldn't.I'd simply accept it as part of the rich tapesty of musical styles-but not to my taste.[/quote]

Again, I think the issue is that there basically wasn't any rich tapestry of musical styles, just a lot of YouTube stars slapping like it was a mating ritual.

Edited by thisnameistaken

too much of a 'good' thing?
I'm wasn't offended by the slap at bassday, good or bad, i love what Nigel does with his hyper-Entwistle finger thing, although how that 'sells' Rotosound is beyond me...
I just wish Bernie wouldn't have the Ebs Fafner gear that loud versus the Markbass stand, versus the shuker demonstrator versus Yamaha bringing a Marshall VBA Stack, it turned into a 'my dick's bigger than yours' contest...again.
As stated earlier, HEADPHONES next year, or bare minimum, a lower overall volume rule. I think the Trade stands would make more money if punters could hear themselves.
I would have probably have bought a bacchus if i could have tested it properly, without a band next to my ears.

Edited by AndyTravis

the other thing to consider in favour of slapping is that weather we like to admit it or not, Most amps do sound very similar finger style. There are some obvious exceptions but i find amps have a more unique voice when being subjected to slap than finger style.

That being said, 30 seconds of slap would give you a perfectly good idea...

I totally dig slapping-It's great. What I don't like is hearing the same root,octave,flat 7 'grooves'(usually
in E minor) and machine gun muted patterns all day at various tempo's,volumes and abilities.
After a while it becomes tiring-and to be honest,it's not even that impressive.

[quote name='Doddy' post='666273' date='Nov 26 2009, 02:37 PM']I totally dig slapping-It's great. What I don't like is hearing the same root,octave,flat 7 'grooves'(usually
in E minor) and machine gun muted patterns all day at various tempo's,volumes and abilities.
After a while it becomes tiring-and to be honest,it's not even that impressive.[/quote]

I can do it in G minor. :)

A lot of slappers can't pull it off when you say "try it in F"...that shows how limited their technique is.
Slap is ok when it fuels the song but you cannot force a technique into every song.
I play a lot of slap but mainly in my living room, I cannot use it in most of the bands I play in.
I try it in various keys and avoid the clichés like the octave etc..it's not easy to make it interesting but it can be done (check Kai Eckhard-Karpeh who uses nice chordal work)

[quote name='slapmonsta' post='665806' date='Nov 26 2009, 12:44 AM']Crikey-there's some right misreable,moaning music shop facists on here!

You may not like the way that Nige+co plays,but then so what?I know for a fact and first hand observation (having known him for over 20 years) that Nige has inspired young bassists to pick up an instrument and learn to play.
-how many of the purist "it's all a rattling noise and you can't use it in a track" whingers on this thread can honestly say that?
Why get all pious and "holier than thou purist" about someone playing a bass in a style or manner you don't like?Who cares?
Just walk on by-and leave the snide digs about a guy who's not only a top man (but also a great fingerstyle player) at home.
Nige is well known for what he does-as are the likes of Lemmy and Chris Wolstenholme.

If I attended a trade show no way would I stand there moaning that there "wasn't enough jazz" from Chris,or that "Lemmy didn't play any slap-I'm sick of that fuzz nonesense-it's just not real bass,man."

No I wouldn't.I'd simply accept it as part of the rich tapesty of musical styles-but not to my taste.[/quote]

I've known Nigel for many years too (although as an acquaintance) and he's a great all-round player. He can also run rings round most guys slap-wise. I agree that he wasn't the main culprit at all and that actually it was a combination of things that were the problem. I actually thought the all-round "whale-noise" was the worst aspect; as I've said elsewhere it was living in John Bonham's drumkit. Too many basses being played at once whatever the style, and not a single break.

MB1. :)
I too have known Mr Clutterbuck for many moons and he has always inspired me.. he is a very talented Bassist (not just slap bass either!)....although he does put them rotosounds through there paces! :rolleyes: ...The problem came from too many basses playing slap at the same time in too small an area.... and Too Loudly!

Edited by MB1

[quote name='slapmonsta' post='665806' date='Nov 26 2009, 12:44 AM']Crikey-there's some right misreable,moaning music shop facists on here!

No I wouldn't.I'd simply accept it as part of the rich tapesty of musical styles-but not to my taste.[/quote]

I think that almost without exception people who have posted about Nigel have said that he's a thoroughly nice bloke and plays in a very unusual style. I really have no idea what point you're trying to make.

For me, I don't really mind listening to a lot of slap playing, as long as it is done well! As in, more Stuart Hamm and less Fieldy! I guess it is just a territorial thing, as me "me slap loudest and fastest, me take women back to cave" or something. Still, I don't mind it even though fingerstyle is my go-to.