Why become a member? ×

Bassday Slap Attack!

cureswhatailsye

Bassday for me was spoiled by that idiot on the Shuker stand! I really wanted to try a Shuker bass but that fool he had as an assistant was rude and a total slapper.In fact at one point he was so loud i walked out.Such a shame as i think Shuker basses are amazing.Also there was another guy who played non musical machine gun slap on every stand at full volume for long periods of time! I get it!!! your fast but please NO MORE!...

In Nigel (Clutterbuck's) defence we were worried that his percussive playing would send us slightly insane as we were next to him. Truth is that wasn't the case, he did a few fairly quiet short demos and one more lengthy one later on on the Enfield stand but he was by no means the culprit at Bass Day. He seemed a bloody nice guy too to be honest.

I recognised some guys from last year one of whom was towing his lady around while he slapped everything he could get his hands on. She looked even less impressed than she did last year :)

It wasn't so much the slapping that I and others I've spoken to found oppressive but the combined drone that seems to emanate from everywhere and nowhere. In fact the Bernie slapfest in particular was more subdued that last year, or maybe the drone drowned it out?

After about 5 hours I not only had a headache, to be expected, but I also felt physically sick. Maybe it was the classic case of everyone thinking 'ooh it's loud' and turning up their gear to compete, at 30 second intervals?

I don't go to these events simply because at every one I've attended in the past all I've heard is a bunch of smug show-offs slapping. As our singer once famously said after I pulled off a bit of a (probbaly very poor) Flea impression "but why would you want to use a bass to do that". I chose bass 'cos I felt some instinctive affinity with the bass parts in the music I grew up with. OK, I've had to use slap parts in the odd track we've played over the years (notable when we've played Chilis covers), but increasingly I realise the wisdom of our singer's POV.
C

[quote name='Beedster' post='663841' date='Nov 24 2009, 03:18 PM']I don't go to these events simply because at every one I've attended in the past all I've heard is a bunch of smug show-offs slapping. As our singer once famously said after I pulled off a bit of a (probbaly very poor) Flea impression "but why would you want to use a bass to do that". I chose bass 'cos I felt some instinctive affinity with the bass parts in the music I grew up with. OK, I've had to use slap parts in the odd track we've played over the years (notable when we've played Chilis covers), but increasingly I realise the wisdom of our singer's POV.[/quote]

Same here. I had to slap some tunes in a previous band because I was replacing a guy who slapped everything, but I felt like a proper berk doing it. And that was in the '90s when it was still sort-of acceptable in some circles.

I met Nigel Clutterbuck last year at a show, and he was a very nice friendly guy who was more than happy to go through some of his techniques with me. I totally couldn't get to grips with it (!) but I thought that he was a really decent bloke.

[i]Thought for the day:[/i]
Contrary to 'popular' opinion here, based on the evidence maybe 'most' bass players actually like slap playing!

During the height of slap mayhem in the 80s, a Peavey rep told me about a masterclass conducted by Joe Hubbard (he of 'Basslines' book fame). The class was full of bassists who were sitting there unplugged. Joe is a great slap player, but also spoke at length on other styles. As soon as the masterclass ended, every single player in the room slapped. The rep described the noise of theses unplugged basses as 'like a million typewriters going at the same time'.

A very apt description indeed. :)

I was on the stand next to Nigel and like others had looked at his stuff on You Tube and thought that it was going to be a problem but to be honest it was not. He did a few short demos at reasonable volume and one longer one on the enfield stand that Martin was videoing. He was a really nice guy and I had several chats with him over the course of the day and he could not have been better company. Rob on the Shuker stand was a lot louder than Nigel all day.

I did find myself thinking "what gigs do you play???" many times as the next person unleashed their best slap party piece. I must admit some were very good, and certainly possessed slap chops far in excess of my own, but there did seem to be an element of showing off, not trying gear to see what it could do.

In defence of Mr Clutterbuck, at least he was there to officially play for Rotosound and did what he does very well. It may not be to everyone's taste but he was getting a lot of attention. The short bloke in the flat cap was also a great player but he did seem to work his way round every single stand doing the same warp speed routine (even jamming with Yolanda and losing the beat more times than I care to mention!)

I definitely think headphone amps, and maybe a seperate amp room, are the way forward at events like these but logistically this can be tricky. But then, would as many people be playing if they couldn't be heard by passers by? Hmm....

Cheers
Alun

EDIT: Due to appalling spelling!

Edited by Alun

[quote name='Spoombung' post='664072' date='Nov 24 2009, 05:43 PM']All you poor attendees are still painting picture of abject misery and victimhood... :)[/quote]

No...It was a cool day. It's just that by the end of it I felt 'slapped out' from hearing people of
varying abilities play slap 'grooves' all day.
It's the same at drum shows-all you hear is 'Boom,Bap...Boom,Boom,Bap, followed by a semi quaver
fill around the toms.
These kinds of events are great,but it gets tiring hearing the same thing in the trade area every five
seconds.