Why become a member? ×

Bassday Slap Attack!

cureswhatailsye

Hi everyone, I had a great time at Bassday UK yesterday, my particular highlights being Nathan East, Maurizio Rolli and Poogie Bell Band.

I wanted to see if anyone else noticed anything about the trade stands, in that I'm not sure I noticed anyone playing anything with fingers or a pick all day?

I have nothing against slap (one of my favourite bass lines: Freddie Washington on 'Forget Me Nots'), and I know that everyone has their favourite "shop licks", having worked in a bass shop. However, after 7 hours milling about, I was thoroughly confused ( and in a small amount of ear related pain).
Surely if you're trying to demo a bass, you want to show your customers its full palette (sp?) of sounds?

Anyway...just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this thoroughly gripping issue!

Ta.
:)

Edited by cureswhatailsye

[quote name='cureswhatailsye' post='662624' date='Nov 23 2009, 01:26 PM']Hi everyone, I had a great time at Bassday UK yesterday, my particular highlights being Nathan East, Maurizio Rolli and Poogie Bell Band.

I wanted to see if anyone else noticed anything about the trade stands, in that I'm not sure I noticed anyone playing anything with fingers or a pick all day?

I have nothing against slap (one of my favourite bass lines: Freddie Washington on 'Forget Me Nots'), and I know that everyone has their favourite "shop licks", having worked in a bass shop. However, after 7 hours milling about, I was thoroughly confused ( and in a small amount of ear related pain).
Surely if you're trying to demo a bass, you want to show your customers its full palette (sp?) of sounds?

Anyway...just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this thoroughly gripping issue!

Ta.
:rolleyes:[/quote]

The 'slapathon' is I feel a sad inevitability of 'Bassday'. Sure there were people who weren't slapping but most of them couldn't even hear themselves play.

I don't dislike the concept entirely when it's done well or used appropriately but it seems to me that there's an army of folk (men) who go to bass days to pick up as many basses as possible with no serious intention other than to demonstrate their knuckle to string ability to all within hearing distance or in some cases a long suffering female who is in tow.

A typical scenario is:

Can I have a go?

Yes, the pre-amp is a bit different maybe I can go through it with you?

No, I know how it works

Okay

Then the 'punter' proceeds to do his bit with entirely the wrong tone EQ'd into the bass, twiddles knobs incessantly and puts it down in disgust before moving onto the next stand to repeat a similar process :)

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='662652' date='Nov 23 2009, 01:42 PM']Yes, the pre-amp is a bit different maybe I can go through it with you?

No, I know how it works[/quote]

See I did that to ACG basses but in my defense you showed me and I have used Wal's and Alembics before :rolleyes:

I then proceeded to dial my tone in very quickly and then debated which is better this or the new 2 knob one East has made.

I also didn't slap on it :)

But in all seriousness, yes it was horrible the whole day really got to me, to the point I didn't watch any of the shows not even Nathan East.

Luckily I was surrounded by some very talented none slap happy players, Yolanda and the guy that came with Ged Greene

I think Bassday should really have like some quiet time, like a block of 20minutes per hour where all testing has to be off and people can just talk to the people that run the stalls. I got the most info during the Nathan East block, no one was playing I spoke to Bulldog, East and Ged Greene all of whom I'm having work done in the next 2-3 weeks.

I love slapping, and I'd love to be able to do that stuff really well, but I distinctly remember going to a music show many years ago and at every turn there was someone slapping on a bass. It really got a bit much, like eating an entire bag of your favourite choccy sweets and then regretting it. Then I came across this one old boy, wearing all denim, slightly balding and with a beard and glasses (the description is just incase someone knows him!?!) and I was totally blown away with his superb fingerstyle playing. His hands just had great authority and strength. He didn't tickle notes out like some players do, he totally owned the bass! At the time I just though YESSSS! that's how I would play (wasn't a bassist at the time).

Yeah, if I go next year I'm definitely taking some filters, my ears were in a state by the end...particularly after Randy Hope Taylor...too loud.

Yolanda was great I thought, some good advice given. I liked the band educationals on the boom stage also.

I thought it was a shame that there was no way of really trying anything out properly...I wasn't gonna spend £1500 on a bass when I could only try it in the loudest room in Manchester.

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='662677' date='Nov 23 2009, 02:06 PM']Steve, I was hoping you wouldn't take this as i dig at you in the slightest.

You weren't anywhere near my thoughts when I wrote the above and it was great to see you!

Please note that by no means everyone who tried a bass came into the above description :)[/quote]

Oh no I know :rolleyes: but it did make me laugh because is exactly what I said to ACG :lol: but only for the reasons above.

Was nice to see you again.

Maybe there should be a 'thumbzone', similar to those perspex smokers' lounges you get in some airports. - e.g. an acoustically sealed clear walled room where slapping takes place - the rest of the venue can then remain slap free.

I am not anti-slap, but the 'saturday down the bass centre' clamour of Mark King, Victor and Flea licks competing for attention is a terrible thing...

Who's doing all the slapping then?? Everyone seems to agree that it is inappropriate and only one of the many styles you would want to try out when serious about some gear...?

Stevie W puts lots of work into that day so its a shame people feel those who attend are slapping the pleasure out of going.

[quote name='fingerz' post='662707' date='Nov 23 2009, 02:33 PM']Who's doing all the slapping then?? Everyone seems to agree that it is inappropriate and only one of the many styles you would want to try out when serious about some gear...?

Stevie W puts lots of work into that day so its a shame people feel those who attend are slapping the pleasure out of going.[/quote]

Hmmm I seem to recall a certain gentleman on the Rotosound stand and someone in a Shuker T-shirt being the worst offenders.

I've never been to a Bass Day and, despite invitations, chose not to this time too.

The well-known SlapFest is one of the main reasons why I never go, and why my suggestion for this year's Southeast BassBash was to host the Quiet Room. :)

I joined my first-ever band just two years ago. I've played a lot of songs in those two years, with four different bands ( :blush: ) and I've yet to catch myself thinking "If only I knew how to slap - that song would just sound SO much better if I could slap."

[quote name='cureswhatailsye' post='662624' date='Nov 23 2009, 01:26 PM']Hi everyone, I had a great time at Bassday UK yesterday, my particular highlights being Nathan East, Maurizio Rolli and Poogie Bell Band.

Ta.
:)[/quote]

I've just been to the Gallery in Camden to try some amps out, I'm looking for a really versatile amp and yes a little bit of slap does need to be tried to see how the bottom end and detailed top sounds, but for me it's all about fingerstyle now, just regular two finger plucking, and seeing how the amp and bass combine to produce a whole variety of sounds, slapping full tilt won't achive this. I've been to so many bass days or trade shows where it's jus wall to wall slapping, and it starts to wear you down after a short while, it's a shame really as it just begins to grate on your ears, mind and nerves!

M

Funny....I thought the slapping wasn't as bad this year...maybe I'm just deaf. I love a bit of slap, when it's done tastefully within the context of the right song.

The problem as I see it in situatuions like bassday or indeed any bass shop on a Saturday, is that chances are you're surrounded by bass players within earshot, and it brings out the showoff in you when you think you can impress people with your technique. I don't care what anyone here says, if they can slap well, the first thing they'll do when they think everyone's listening is show off, it's a natural thing for a musician/performer to want to do. Trouble is, a room full of showoffs is a total nightmare for the ears.

I don't think complaining about the noise level is fair. There are so many basses and amps hooked up to try, and so many people to try them, what else are people going to do?

The answer for me, is to have stands of basses out of the floor like yesterday, but to put ALL the amplifier stands into separate rooms out of earshot to most of us, so that the basses can be viewed in peace. Headphone amps could be the exception.

Edited by Rayman

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='662774' date='Nov 23 2009, 03:33 PM']When some guy in the audience asked Nathan East to do some slap I was close to using some rusty control and restraint techniques to evict him from the theatre :)[/quote]

That was me and I was being ironic.......!
Actually not guilty but a few observations:

1. Really enjoyed the concerts, would'nt the world be a lovely place if everyone was as nice and self effacing as Stevie, Poogie and Nathan?
2. Enjoyed all the trade stalls but trying out a bass except for feel was impossible with all the slap tickle and popping going on
3. Randy Hope Taylor had been billed to appear for months, so why did he admit to almost just busking it?
4. Am I alone ( and I love Carlton, YellowJackets et al US Jazz) in thinking some of the concerts because of the similar lineups all sounded a bit samey? Could the next years Bassday try to move a bit away from this genre?
5. When we've held Bass Bashes, the prize draw has never been held last thing as some people have to travel long distances. Let's face it yesterday, anyone who left before Nathan was in a minority anyway...! So why not bring the prize draw forward a bit?

Bass Day should be renamed 'Ego Fest' :)

As much as I enjoyed Bass Day, I really didn't want to try any basses simply because of all the egos playing slap bass at stupid non musical speed at stupid volumes all in a relatively small space. I actually watched some guy playing a bass, he was playing quite okay, but as soon as he twigged someone might of been paying attention out cam the super slap style to simply show off! Unfortunately he wasn't alone in doing this.