Why become a member? ×

Going to the USA and bringing a bass - bit of a dilemma!

Mike

Hi all!

Yes, I know the travelling bassist topic has been discussed, and I've already devoured as much info on it as I can, including Dave Marks' problems and the sticky on top (which is very useful).

I'm going to the USA for 3 weeks and really need to keep up my daily practice. I have looked into travel basses, and even bought an Aria Sinsonido but I'm just not happy with the quality of them.

I looked at BA's policy on musical instruments and they will allow you to bring one on board as long as it's "guitar sized". Anything bigger must be checked. I want to bring my Shuker 5 string with me, so, these are my options.

1) Bring bass in a really slim lakland gigbag. Looks small, like a guitar, should be absolutely no hassle to bring on the aircraft. BUT: if something goes awry, and it has to be checked in, it will be smashed to smithereens.

2) Bring bass in a really decent, thick, padded, gigbag. It's still guitar shaped so should be ok, but in the event that it needs to be checked, it *should, maybe* be okay.

3) Bring bass in a softish hard case, rectangular, well packed. Might be able to go on the plane as I can prove it's a guitar, but if it has to be checked, should be ok.

4) Bring bass in large, metal flightcase. Probably won't be allowed on the plane, but will be fine if checked!

What do you think, fellow basschatters?

Cheers!

Mike

Edited by Mike

Hey! I already spoke to customer services and as you might expect, they didn't know what difference a bass was from a guitar! I asked for dimensions, but it's as vague as "nothing bigger than a guitar". I reckon as it's a bass guitar that's an easily conceded point in my favour, though.

Whether or not you can take your bass onto the plane with you is entirely down to whim of the check-in/flight staff and no amount of arguing on your behalf will change their mind.

Anything other than a heavy-duty flight case will not be happy with airport baggage handling.

The MU apparently has an agreement with (some?) airlines about bringing instruments into the cabin. Are you a member?

I have flown once with a guitar and was able to bring it into the cabin, but:
1. It was small travel guitar (Tokai Talbo Jnr) not a bass
2. I was flying business class
3. I was very late checking in and literally walked from the check-in directly onto the plane at which point they closed the door and took off!

[quote name='BigRedX' post='662474' date='Nov 23 2009, 10:38 AM']Whether or not you can take your bass onto the plane with you is entirely down to whim of the check-in/flight staff and no amount of arguing on your behalf will change their mind.

Anything other than a heavy-duty flight case will not be happy with airport baggage handling.[/quote]
+1. Best go with the idea that it'll end up in the hold. I've even had trouble getting guitars onboard trans-Atlantic flights.

Cheers

Mark

Best all round option I've found is the Hiscox case. Its not indestructible, but is very very resiliant and does protect the instrument well (even if the case gets a battering). Also they are not very heavy, so not such a pain for all the other carrying around airports busses and hotels etc.

My last one had done thousands of "van miles" car miles and a few flights before I used it to ship a bass I sold. The case had a few dents (one or two were more like punctures) but all the latches still worked and nothing had ever happened to the contents in 4 or 5 years.

[quote name='sdgrsr400' post='662618' date='Nov 23 2009, 02:21 PM']I heard a story on another board that stringed instruments were being challenged because "you could remove the strings and use them to throttle someone".[/quote]
Soon you won't even be able to wear shoes - could easily hijack a plane with your shoelaces. :)

[quote name='sdgrsr400' post='662618' date='Nov 23 2009, 01:21 PM']Also think about the return journey through US security. If you look anyway suspicious (i.e. not white) then you might have trouble.[/quote]

Luckily, I'm the whitest cracker you could set your eyes on - cheers anyway!

From my travels abroad with bass equipment I have noticed that whatever is said at one end may not hold up at the other. We got charged at the check in desk due to the policy for musical instruments when on our way to Prague once. They said instruments are treated with more care and must be collected from a special "secure" luggage pickup.
Sufice to say this was not the case. They got thrown in with the normal luggage, knocked around. Saving grace was the hardcases they where all packed in ( and padded out by our clothing). Leaving us to dig them out of the conveyor belt at Prague. Other times have seen similar cases. Maybe its my bad luck.

[quote name='Mike' post='662672' date='Nov 23 2009, 02:03 PM']Luckily, I'm the whitest cracker you could set your eyes on - cheers anyway![/quote]

You always looked a bit shifty to me Mike :)

I don't have much experience with basses on flights but I do have experience with sports equipment and no matter how many written assurances you have from the airline or how much you have paid to pre-book the item into the cabin, if either the check-in staff or the security personnel say you can't take it in the cabin, that's it, it ain't going in the cabin. You can stand and argue all you want but the reality is that since 9/11 the emphasis of airline and airport staff has changed from customer service to a strange hybrid of law enforcement, health & safety, traffic warden and school prefect, and there ain't no getting around that combination.

Good luck

Chris

Thanks all. I don't get on with "stick" basses so that's out. I could buy one while I'm out there but ideally I'd just use my shuker 5 E-C.

Beedster: I'm going to San Francisco, LA, San Diego, Phoenix and Vegas. Bit of a road trip, in a Dodge Charger!

At the moment the poll is exactly even. Bah! Thanks for all your input!

When I first replied to this thread I was under the impression that you were off to do some gigs in the US. However having re-read the thread and especially your last post it seems that this is a holiday?

If that's the case then [b]LEAVE THE BASS AT HOME![/b] It's a holiday and it's only three weeks. I doubt that your practice will suffer that much and TBH after a short break you might actually find that you can notice an improvement. Also having done a trip very similar to the one you've outlined, I doubt you'll find very much time to play - there's simply too much to see and do. If you are really suffering from playing withdrawal, then there are plenty of place where you can find decent musical instrument stores and go and play. Maybe consider buying something on your first day or so that you know you can sell at a profit once it's back in the UK if the lack of playing is too much.

If after all that you absolutely must take your bass with you...

1. The four people who didn't select your fourth option are hopelessly naïve. Maybe they've been lucky in the past, but that's no guarantee that you will be. These days I wouldn't even think about trying to get a bass into the cabin with me unless I was flying business class (that's with a paid-for business class ticket and not looking smart and hoping for an upgrade), and even then I'd probably not try.

2. What will you do if you turn up at the airport with your bass in anything less than a Hiscox case and they won't let you take it on board with you? Assume the worst. Can you risk the instrument that you obviously can't bear to be parted from for 3 weeks getting damaged and more likely broken beyond easy repair? It's not going to be much of a holiday if it starts of with your bass coming down the baggage handling system in pieces.

3. If you do take the bass in a proper protective case have you got room for it in the car on your road trip? Can you keep it out of sight while you leave it in the car to go sight-seeing. Are all the places you'll be staying in sufficiently up-market for you to be happy to leave the bass in the room while you're out during the day?

You might think I'm being overly paranoid and pessimistic, and in the end the decision is up to you. Personally I wouldn't risk it just for some holiday practice.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='663482' date='Nov 24 2009, 09:24 AM']When I first replied to this thread I was under the impression that you were off to do some gigs in the US. However having re-read the thread and especially your last post it seems that this is a holiday?

If that's the case then [b]LEAVE THE BASS AT HOME![/b] It's a holiday and it's only three weeks. I doubt that your practice will suffer that much and TBH after a short break you might actually find that you can notice an improvement. Also having done a trip very similar to the one you've outlined, I doubt you'll find very much time to play - there's simply too much to see and do. If you are really suffering from playing withdrawal, then there are plenty of place where you can find decent musical instrument stores and go and play. Maybe consider buying something on your first day or so that you know you can sell at a profit once it's back in the UK if the lack of playing is too much.

If after all that you absolutely must take your bass with you...

1. The four people who didn't select your fourth option are hopelessly naïve. Maybe they've been lucky in the past, but that's no guarantee that you will be. These days I wouldn't even think about trying to get a bass into the cabin with me unless I was flying business class (that's with a paid-for business class ticket and not looking smart and hoping for an upgrade), and even then I'd probably not try.

2. What will you do if you turn up at the airport with your bass in anything less than a Hiscox case and they won't let you take it on board with you? Assume the worst. Can you risk the instrument that you obviously can't bear to be parted from for 3 weeks getting damaged and more likely broken beyond easy repair? It's not going to be much of a holiday if it starts of with your bass coming down the baggage handling system in pieces.

3. If you do take the bass in a proper protective case have you got room for it in the car on your road trip? Can you keep it out of sight while you leave it in the car to go sight-seeing. Are all the places you'll be staying in sufficiently up-market for you to be happy to leave the bass in the room while you're out during the day?

You might think I'm being overly paranoid and pessimistic, and in the end the decision is up to you. Personally I wouldn't risk it just for some holiday practice.[/quote]

Mike, BRX is bang on the money above, really. I'd simply pick up a Squier in LA and sell it in SF (keep the receipt from LA purchase). Might actually cost less than taking a bass with you will cost you in excess baggage.

Chris

Edited by Beedster

Agree with leaving your precious bass at home and try to enjoy your vacation bass free. Opens up for buying one to bring home at the end of your vacation as well!! :)
If bringing a bass along, I'd definitely go with a real sturdy case - Hiscox at the least.

Good thing you're flying with BA though:

I'd definitely go with the option of buying something out there if you really need one.

Check the SF shops in advance & pre-order. Might find a decent used Squier for peanuts. Remove the neck on the way home & stick the parts in a suitcase (be prepared for US security to open your case though as it'll show up on the x-ray).

Dragging something with you could be a right pain & you'll be worried up to the last minute on whether they'll let you on board or not!

[quote name='sdgrsr400' post='662618' date='Nov 23 2009, 01:21 PM']Also think about the return journey through US security. If you look anyway suspicious (i.e. not white) then you might have trouble. I heard a story on another board that stringed instruments were being challenged because "you could remove the strings and use them to throttle someone".[/quote]

That happened to a friend of mine last year, he was travelling from Holland to the UK, and despite confirming with the airline in advance and buying a seat for the guitar to make sure it wouldn't get bashed around, they CONFISCATED the strings off his vintage Gretsch (and the spares in the case) because they could be removed and used as an offensive weapon.
On a one hour flight? by a normal looking white 50 year old guy carrying 5000 quid worth of Gretsch?
Didn't help that he landed on Saturday afternoon to travel straight to the gig, and needed strings in a desperate hurry in a foreign country at closing time. Also the underlying fear that the 60 year old neck/truss rod would be upset by sudden removal of tension with no truss rod spanner to hand. Bah.

hi Mike,

I've done this twice now - most recently last weekend from NY to London. I bought a SKB bass case [url="http://www.studiospares.com/Cases-/SKB-44-Deluxe-Electric-Bass-Case/invt/407380"]like this one[/url]

My bass was checked into the hold on both occasions, and this time I didn't loosen the strings and the bass was still in tune when I got it out to check it was ok. The only thing extra I did was shove some bubble wrap in the case to make sure it didn't move around inside the case too much.

cheers
G

[quote name='Mike' post='664102' date='Nov 24 2009, 06:11 PM']Thanks for all the thoughts, people. I'm sort of now leaning to getting one while I'm out there....i'll let you know! Cheers.[/quote]

Mike

If you're prepared to travel up to Warwick, you're welcome to borrow my flightcase (as seen in the first pic [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=64207"]here[/url])

Cheers

Mark.