Why become a member? ×

Going to the USA and bringing a bass - bit of a dilemma!

Mike

FWIW - I did it the other way around a couple of years ago and bought an Ibanez electro acoustic bass in New York. I couldn't afford to buy a full flightcase for it, which I would never use again when I got home, so I had to consider plan B. I nearly didn't buy it, but at the time it was $2 to the £1 and it was such a bargain, I couldn't resist. I actually bought a plywood shaped case for it - having had a conversation with a friend who is a New Yorker, and regularly travels to Europe with a 1969 Les paul and a custom Tele in a soft double back pack.

His advice - check it at the gate, having had it put through the big x ray machine. At check in I told them I wanted to check it in at the gate - and they were happy with this (Continental - who are a sh*te airline and complete bastards usually IMHO). I took it down to the gate, and duly handed it over. I understand that they then put the gate checked luggage in last, and it goes on top of the other stuff. I must admit I was very worried, but I waited at the gate at Manchester and it came up with all the pushchairs - as good as gold.

I would point out that :

1. I packed the guitar case with loads of socks, bubble wrap etc for as much additional protection as possible.
2. I may just have been lucky
3. This was 2 - 3 years ago and they were very tight on security then
4. The case did split around the bottom edge - but this was a stereotypically ignorant, imaptient and boorish Yank, who knocked it out of my wife's hand - pushing past her, en route to the departure lounge - whilst I was having a piss.
5. I think you have ZERO chance of getting it on the plane - in the cabin, and
6. A Steinberger style headless bass just looks like a rifle, so don't even think about it!!!

As others have said - it will depend on a number of things - but being [b]super[/b] polite at check in and not looking like Swampy will help. In my experience - minimum wage gofers with little real influence are happiest when you appear scared of their 'power', and if you aren't suitably awed - they will just exercise what little power they have got - just to f*** you over and prove they are the boss.

Finally - my vote is - if you must - buy a Squire Jazz, and check it at the gate.

A

[quote name='Mike' post='662441' date='Nov 23 2009, 10:17 AM']Hi all!
I'm going to the USA for 3 weeks and [sup][b]really need to keep up my daily practice[/b][/sup].
Mike[/quote]

i saw you mention shuker...really if i was going on a plane with the hassle you have outlined i would take a cheapy in a normal case one you can definately take on the plane...i took a tenor sax in a bass gig bag once to israel...security at el al held me up to inspect it and wouldnt let me through till i played a tune...good!

anything can happen :)

Edited by mrcrow

[quote name='BigRedX' post='663482' date='Nov 24 2009, 09:24 AM']3. If you do take the bass in a proper protective case have you got room for it in the car on your road trip? Can you keep it out of sight while you leave it in the car to go sight-seeing. Are all the places you'll be staying in sufficiently up-market for you to be happy to leave the bass in the room while you're out during the day?[/quote]

No worries there. The new Dodge Chargers have enormous boots - you can get a bass hard case in there lengthways, and still have room for a few dead bodies.

Seriously, go on Craigslist and find a cheapo bass to play while you're there. Then, before you come home, find the nearest Guitar Center and flog it to them. Either that or bring it back with you. I've jumped the puddle in both directions many times, and would never risk my basses in anything less than a decent hard case. You can't assume they'll let you bring it into the cabin, and a bass in a gig bag in a plane's luggage hold will not be treated well and will probably come out the other end with its headstock dangling off.