Why become a member? ×

Bon Jovi... grrr

yorick

Much as it hates to even memtion them *shudders*, it really, really irks me that in the latest round of promo shots for album/single/tour, they don't feature the bass player. I'm assuming it's still Hughie(?) who's been with them for the best part of twenty years. :)

[quote name='yorick' post='647115' date='Nov 6 2009, 12:01 PM']Much as it hates to even memtion them *shudders*, it really, really irks me that in the latest round of promo shots for album/single/tour, they don't feature the bass player. I'm assuming it's still Hughie(?) who's been with them for the best part of twenty years. :)[/quote]
Aye
Hugh Macdonald was actually on bon jovis first album in the late 70,s and some say he was on ALL the records, but he,s never been in any band promo, he must just be an employee, a bit like darryl jones with the stones.
Hugh was a session player (his stuff on Alice coopers trash was great) but yeah your right - lee

I had 10 minutes in Jon's 'presence' a few years ago (three way interview) and wasn't hugely impressed.

If Hughie can go places burly security men at his shoulder then he's got the best end of the deal. Youda thought JBJ was Bill Clinton or somebody....

[quote name='lee650' post='647125' date='Nov 6 2009, 12:11 PM']Aye
Hugh Macdonald was actually on bon jovis first album in the late 70,s and some say he was on ALL the records, but he,s never been in any band promo, he must just be an employee, a bit like darryl jones with the stones.
Hugh was a session player (his stuff on Alice coopers trash was great) but yeah your right - lee[/quote]
<technical pedant> Bon Jovi's first album was 1984!</technical pedant>
If you listen to the bass work on all their records it does all sound mightly like HMcD, especially Keep the Faith. TBH, BJ have been crap since then though. Still going to see them next year for a luagh, mind!

I thought Crush was a good album for them, bit of a return to form. I never got the impression they tried to seem too much of the 'big stars' but it's go tot have some effect playing the vast audiences they did over the 10 or so years they were a really big draw and selling bucketfulls of albums. I'm sure there are just as many 'Lemmy - what a complete twat' stories out there too, I know of one myself actually.

Edited by KevB

I brought this up a few weeks ago after watching one of their gigs on DVD and being really impressed with the tone Hugh had.
I understand why Hugh isnt credited but but i still think it stinks. Especially when the backing singers get close ups yet Hugh doesn't.

To be honest he is the only reason i pay BJ any attention these days. And im not ashamed to admit i used to be a very big fan of theirs up until they went all slow and country.

And i believe Hugh played with Jon long before Such came along, although he was never "in" Bon Jovi.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='647244' date='Nov 6 2009, 01:52 PM']...I understand why Hugh isnt credited but but i still think it stinks. Especially when the backing singers get close ups yet Hugh doesn't....[/quote]

Maybe part of it is him asking to not be featured?

[quote name='TRadford' post='647438' date='Nov 6 2009, 05:44 PM']Greenday have a guitarist you rarely see....[/quote]

Saw GD last month and for most of the show there were two of the buggers..! The regular guy and another guy who looked like he arrived late for his support slot. There were parts of the show where there were 6 folk on stage;

BJ, MD, TC, regular tour guitard guy, 'spare' tour guitard guy & KB/accordian/sax guy...!

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the show benefitted for their contributions but I went expecting a 3-piece pop/punk act.

I am sure he is on a huge retainer and a salary for the tour...

To get a 20 year career ( or however long it is ) out of being a sideman at that salary level sounds perfect to me...
People who know, know who he is so he also get the 'star' jollies as well... but not so full-on

What is there to complain about..?? :)

When i saw the Manics a couple of years back, they were the same -- at least one & often two uncredited & unacknowledged mystery guys at the back, filling the sound out. I spent most of the gig marvelling at the sheer awfulness of Nicky Wire's sound.

I'm not a big fan of BJ, but they are excellent live by all accounts, and I'd hoped to see them this time around, but couldn't get a ticket.

Regarding JBJ : I'm pretty certain that I read an article years ago which suggested when they originally signed their deal, it actually wasn't for the band, but JBJ on his own - with the band as his support players. If this were true, in effect this would mean the band have all been on 'wages' since day one, with the publishing shared, based on the writing credits one would assume. I also remember reading an interview with JBJ, where he talked about the original bass player - Alec John Such, who it was suggested 'they' had to fire after he couldn't play shows, due to being drunk all the time. IIRC JBJ then went on to say that he (Such) had been 'a total gentleman about it all', taken the big pay off, and disappeared quietly to straighten himself out : I think it was suggested he now lives on a house boat and runs a motorcycle shop in NY.

Such is also 10 years older than JBJ (Such is now 57) and left the band in 1994 I think (when he was 42) : which is pretty old to still be knocking around the world doing huge 200 date tours, especially if you have been on the road for the previous 10 years too I would think. Fine if you are as big as Metallica are now, where the guys are now in their 40s, but are further into their career than BJ were in 94 - and consequently set the agenda for touring : 2 - 3 weeks 'out' and then 2 weeks at home.

Also, I read an article with JBJ this month (Q or possibly Classic Rock), where he makes the point that he is and always has been the businessman in the band, and whilist the other guys are goofing about and spending time at home, he's the one 'doing the spreadsheets'. Ultimately, he's a bloody good businessman - his business just happens to be 'Bon Jovi Inc' of which he's the CEO, and like any businessman he dispassionately hires and fires to maintain success it would seem.

Finally, he's not the only business minded bloke in rock : Nikki Sixx from Motley Crue did a deal with his old label - whereby they signed over all the rights to the MC back catalogue, in return for royalties owed to the band. Consequently, they have made more money out of their Greatest Hits CD reissues than they made when they were huge, back in the day. Smarter boy than he's given credit for - although some might say, as I believe his good friend Rick Nilesen told him, " it sounds better when you're not playing". Sixx's book 'The Heroin Diaries' is a thought provoking read and a lesson about how sometimes getting what you wish for isn't all it's cracked up to be, particularly when you are sleeping in the wardrobe of your Beverley Hills mansion, with a loaded shotgun, because in your heroin induced paranoia, you think that hordes of Mexicans are trying to break into your house!

A

Good article in yesterdays Times magazine on JBJ, highlighting his charitable projects too.
Seems like an ok fella to me...........

And he uses the great guitarist Bobby Bandiera when they tour, on loan from Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes.
The man has taste.

[quote name='The Admiral' post='648578' date='Nov 8 2009, 09:59 AM']I'm not a big fan of BJ, but they are excellent live by all accounts, and I'd hoped to see them this time around, but couldn't get a ticket.[/quote]

I used to be a huge fan and I have seen them live many times, the most memorable being at one of their Christmas charity gigs at the Orpheum Theater in Boston, MA (seating capacity just over 2500, it was amazing!!!! :rolleyes: )

However, I have now fallen out with Mr Bon Jovi & Co to a degree due to their (no doubt financially driven) decision to just play several dates at the 02 arena next year and ignoring their many fans in the rest of the UK :)

[quote name='The Admiral' post='648578' date='Nov 8 2009, 09:59 AM']Such is also 10 years older than JBJ (Such is now 57) and left the band in 1994 I think (when he was 42) : which is pretty old to still be knocking around the world doing huge 200 date tours, especially if you have been on the road for the previous 10 years too I would think. Fine if you are as big as Metallica are now, where the guys are now in their 40s, but are further into their career than BJ were in 94 - and consequently set the agenda for touring : 2 - 3 weeks 'out' and then 2 weeks at home.[/quote]

Just for the record, Hugh is 2 years older than Alec John Such and has spend much of his adult life touring.