Why become a member? ×

Cheapo Strings - A Warning!

ianwild16

Went to my local music shop to buy a set of my usual strings - Elite Stadiums.
I'm certain the last time I bought some they were £18.
But now the price had jumped from £18 to £24!
Its one of those shops with no price tags on anything, I'm sure they just make up the price on the spot...sod that i thought, i'll buy some off the t'interweb.
Then they offered me the cheap strings for £12.
Like a fool I bought them.
[attachment=35085:DSC00530.JPG]
Alice strings...Made in China.
Tried to fit them yesterday to a MIM P bass with standard bridge, but the metal loop on the string is too small to be held by the bridge.
It first popped out when i was tightening up to tension, but you can pass it through the hole in the bridge at a certain angle.
The loops are definately smaller than the loops on the elites which are on the guitar.
[attachment=35086:DSC00531.JPG]
Luckily I didn't just cut the old string off, which I normally do.
So now i'm gonna have to go back and either get me money back or ask them to replace them with string which will fit.
[attachment=35087:DSC00532.JPG]

Thanks for the headsup Ian, Not that I ever buy strings, but if I were I'd opt for the cheapest in the shop being as tight fisted as I am. strange that someone would actually make strings that don't fit, you'd have thought that they'd at least bothered to have a look at one of the most popular basses on the market to see if they work. :)

If you want to keep the strings, cut off the ball end from an old set (that stay on your bass) and run the new string through the old ball end. I had to do this so I could use a guitar string on my 7 and it works surprisingly well.

Although now I think about it, a bigger string might not fit... YMMV.

Edited by velvetkevorkian

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='635950' date='Oct 25 2009, 10:24 AM']Check out Hartke ones. Half the price of Ernie Balls and I struggle to tell the difference. They may actually be better...[/quote]
I've been using Hartke strings for a few months now and they are pretty good nice and bright and long lasting

I didn't like the Hartke ones, although they were cheap. Used them for a couple of gigs and tbh i couldn't wait to replace them

If i need really cheap strings i use the Cheetah/Johnny Brook ones from Crack Converters at £6 a pop (they used to be £4), had a few sets and they do the job. Never had a bad set either. Surprisingly good on fretless too!

EDIT: I liked the cheapy Warwick sets at around £11 from Stringbusters. IIRC they did Elites for around £15 last time i looked too

Edited by lemmywinks

I used to use the Hartke strings.....very good VFM. Just recently tried Roberts strings 45-65-80-100 and was very impressed. Bright sounding with good attack and seem to last very well....only about £8 a set

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='636216' date='Oct 25 2009, 03:56 PM']EDIT: I liked the cheapy Warwick sets at around £11 from Stringbusters. IIRC they did Elites for around £15 last time i looked too[/quote]

i've switched from elites (which i was using for about 15 years) to warwicks, based on a set of warwick reds i got a year or so ago.

admittedly i've moved up to the warwick blacks now, but i love them.

I know everyone's circunstances are different. But I really wouldn't waste my money on cheap strings. What's the old saying - buy cheap and pay twice ?

I use DR's and they last for months and months, the set I have on at the moment is about 4 months old but sounds as bright as when I put them on. I'd rather pay a little more for something that lasts that long rather than keep buying them every month or so, it's cheaper in the end (in my book anyway).

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='636328' date='Oct 25 2009, 05:56 PM']I know everyone's circunstances are different. But I really wouldn't waste my money on cheap strings. What's the old saying - buy cheap and pay twice ?

I use DR's and they last for months and months, the set I have on at the moment is about 4 months old but sounds as bright as when I put them on. I'd rather pay a little more for something that lasts that long rather than keep buying them every month or so, it's cheaper in the end (in my book anyway).[/quote]DR strings are the best I've played and like Kev says, they last for ages.

I've had good cheap strings from Webstrings - www.webstrings.com .

I've got some cheap Hartke's to try, but my wild extravagance in putting a set of DRs on seems to have been justified - 6 months now and still pretty bright sounding. I'm not a noted string-killer though since my hands don't sweat much.

Pete

Ended up takin the strings back......
Loads if ' I've never heard of that happening before!' and 'you must be playing a Fender copy'.....
They finally offered me the Elite strings I originally wanted for the price I paid for them last time - £18.
A lot of fannying about when I could just buy them off the interweb for less.

[quote name='ianwild16' post='638692' date='Oct 28 2009, 02:05 AM']Ended up takin the strings back......
Loads if ' I've never heard of that happening before!' and 'you must be playing a Fender copy'.....
They finally offered me the Elite strings I originally wanted for the price I paid for them last time - £18.
A lot of fannying about when I could just buy them off the interweb for less.[/quote]

Always buy from your shop whenever you can. Music shops are closing more than opening, and those that open are the big chains. Even in those you can save a couple of pence but end up with little or no personal service. The shops are always useful, especially if you want advice, try something out, or just touch and feel. The lad's snare broke an anchor the other day, local shop found a spare part, fitted it, retuned the top skin and gave it all a clean up. Charge? Nothing. Cost? a drink, which was a pleasure. If we bought all our stuff from the web it would be a month long chase around trying to get the spare part. When we bought the snare he did a good deal for us but still I could have saved a couple of quid on the net. In the end that would have been the wrong decision.

I'm happy to pay a little extra from my shop than buy from the web, I think its worth it.

Greg

I totally agree with you greg, we should all be supporting our local music shop, but sadly the difference for me is not a little extra.

My local charges £24 for D'ads. Stringstar have just sent me some, complete with order tracking, arrived next day for £14.

The tenner, for me, is just not an acceptable amount of markup to be paying.

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='638780' date='Oct 28 2009, 09:09 AM']Hw about these? :)

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bass-guitar-strings-Nickel-Light_W0QQitemZ130339386824QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Guitar_Accessories?hash=item1e58d535c8"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bass-guitar-strings-...=item1e58d535c8[/url][/quote]

better off with shoelaces!

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='636169' date='Oct 25 2009, 03:05 PM']Soak in meths, doesn't screw them up as much as boiling, only thing is eventually the end you wind snaps from being straightened and bent so much.[/quote]
This doesn't arise with dual ball systems. As long as you can live with the "80's throwback" stigma...