Why become a member? ×

What's the 'bass of the moment' for you?

OutToPlayJazz

[quote name='ped' post='684517' date='Dec 14 2009, 09:15 PM']I like the Vertex - never seen one before...[/quote]

I think that one is a prototype of what Modulus will be making. They are a more wallet friendly model. Bass central is selling that one for $1749.

Like some other members on this thread, my bass of the moment is one which I've been working on.

With a new pickup, new controls and some natty knob, my Sei 7 is kicking the proverbial behind. There's a thread about it [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=70334"]here.[/url]

As for GAS, my wife and her friend are off to the USA in May, so I'm thinking of what they could bring back for me :) At the moment, Carvin looks like a good bet, either their SB5000 (which got great marks in BP) or the AC50, a hollow, piezo only bass. I really liked the piezo ACG that was at the Moffat Bass Bash and that got me looking at them. Both basses have a huge range of choices (woods, colours etc) and the AC50 has a no-soundhole option.

Carvin's international website is [url="http://www.carvinworld.com"]here.[/url]

Well, after an extended studio session, and as much as I looooove my Overwater, my Ray is top of the list now. Took six basses along to play with sounds, and spent a long time faffing about before I spotted the last case I hadn't opened and said "hang on, let me try this..." flattened the mids (it's a 3EQ), everything else up, bada bing. Instantly the sound I was after.

So, although the Overwater is the one on the stand in the house permanently (can't walk past without picking it up - it's a woody work of art), the Ray is the new go-to bass for me. I'm even selling the $$ NT on the strength of this.

Black and maple, too - the best colour combo for me...

Best thing of all, is when you kind of accidentally come across a bass that delights you, rather than one that you were besotted with before even touching it.

This has happened to me recently. I did a trade and took a Stingray in P/X which I wasn't actually GASsing for. Turns out to be a real gig monster!!!!!

[quote name='dwh87' post='684513' date='Dec 14 2009, 09:14 PM']Modulus Vertex

[/quote]

Oooh! Carbon graphite GAS incoming!

[quote name='xgsjx' post='672904' date='Dec 3 2009, 09:59 AM']Now that's a clever idea, just a shame westone was a sh!te make from the 80's.[/quote]
You might want to do a bit of research. MIJ Westones (including The Rail) were built by Matsumoku & were excellent quality & the ubiquitous Thunder Is are getting quite sought-after now. Stuff like Rails, Quantums, Super Headless, Thunder II & IIIs can fetch some pretty silly money.

My Bass Of The Moment - Lace Helix:

I think part of the reason I like this is that it's the sort of thing Matsumoku might be building if they'd kept going. :)

Should turn up in a day or two...

Jon.

My BOTM is my recently acquired 72 Fender P-bass (pics in my sig below and my avatar). Played my first gig with it last night and it was fantastic. Sounds every bit as good and powerful as my Shuker JJB, has a super-slick neck and action, weighs very little, and looks the absolute dogs doodah's. Was a very happy man during our set :)

Will try out my Nash '63 Jazz at our next gig (in January). Quite a bit heavier than my P-bass (although not a monster, probably between 9-10lb) and with a rounder/chunkier neck, but also sounds superb and looks great in relic'd candy apple red.

I am GAS free with these two plus my JJB

Edited by Clarky

This has grown into a nice thread :)

Apart from the basses in my consciousness that I'd like or I'm interested in, the true bass of the moment for me is [as I suppose it has been since 1990] a Status S2. I'm playing my walnut one every day in the theatre at the moment & it's proving to be the perfect bass for the job. Superior growl & that extra sparkle that others seem to lack.

Here it is in the pit with it's 5-string brethren...

My new Fender P5 (see avatar picture) is my current squeeze. Old school tones in a modern 5 string configuration. A great compliment to my modern sounding Warwicks. Now seriously considering getting a 51P reissue for some serious "older school" sounds.

Was always sceptical about P basses (probably because I learnt to play on a really cheap and nasty one) but now I'm a convert.

Edited by rjb

[quote name='12stringbassist' post='685909' date='Dec 16 2009, 12:34 AM']This one's lived in its case for a good while and I've enjoyed taking it out for the last few shows.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=327Gb97Unlg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=327Gb97Unlg[/url]

Camerawork by John The Fire Hazard.[/quote]

Sonic blue ricky? OMG!!!