Why become a member? ×

Bass or the wife

4 candles

[quote name='flyfisher' post='725816' date='Jan 26 2010, 10:22 PM']It's a daft question really. Any relationship that gets to such a stage is already over. Relationships break down for all sorts of reasons, usually because the inherent incompatibilities eventually surface. If it happens to a musician, it's easy to blame the music. I happen to know someone who really was given this sort of ultimatum - although it was over a full-sized steam traction engine - and the answer was always obvious. Still, he's happy with his steam engine.[/quote]

I loved this quote! :)

It makes no sense to me to choose someone for their independance and creativity, then once youve got them spend the next few years trying to beat it out of them.

[quote name='BigAlonBass' post='631755' date='Oct 20 2009, 07:23 PM']My Wife said exactly the same. I am now in my second Marriage, and this one accepts that I am a Musician. :)[/quote]

i am on marriage no 2...and it has lasted 34 years...we are both musicians...amongst other things

[quote name='4 candles' post='631750' date='Oct 20 2009, 07:19 PM']Howdy, A hypathetical question.

If your wife(a non musician) gave you an ultimatum. Stop doing your gigs or we will have to part company.

what would your answer be?

bear in mind you live a very comfortable life with a good lookin girl(who you love dearly) who is also very pleasant and who has enough of her own money as not to drain your resources.[/quote]

I'd have to answer her in Russian - i.e. something ending in "..off".

Thankfully, Mrs 62 is a keen equestrienne with her own horse, so she'd no more ask me to cut the gigs than I would insist she had her horse put down.

• 8 months later...

i,ve been married for 22 years and i have just discovered the bass, my kids are grown up so no compromise there, formed a band with work colleagues.
and getting support from my wife in that respect, only able to practise 2-3 times a month so no problems as yet there. not done any gigs.
i think she's happy i have found an interest, it gives us another aspect to discussions. (i have something to talk about) she has her own interests as well out side our marriage. time will tell, after 22 years we are secure in our marriage, besides i want to keep my cock where it is thank you!

[quote name='urbanx' post='631775' date='Oct 20 2009, 08:36 PM']"I'm really going to miss that roar, the jeers, having my ears ringing hours after. The dark smoky, sticky rooms, and the tireless thankless jobs that you take for granted....Darling, I'm going to miss you...."[/quote]

Brilliant :)

From the other side of the coin - I'm the musician and hubby is not interested at all....but he is extremely proud and supportive of me. He is quite happy when I go off to rehearse (or even out on my bike - I go too slow for him!) with other men, if he's not fishing or out on his bike visiting mates (including women mates!) - then he just enjoys having the place to himself (and even occasionally does some housework or DIY! :lol: ) Having said all that our children have grown up and off our hands which helps.

It all comes down to trust and having your own interests - a good relationship IMO is when you have shared interests and separate interests - after all no one owns you and the minute anyone tries to control you or tell you what you can and can't do :) then IMO the relationship is not a good one.

Heavy s**t for a Thursday morning! :)

Saxxy :)

There are always more women, there are always more bands, but most of us like to have both at the same time.
Any one who tells you to stop doing something (unless it's punching them repeatedly in the face) is not good for you, relationships are about give and take, but if you don't want to give that much, it's the wrong relationship.

[quote name='4 candles' post='631750' date='Oct 20 2009, 08:19 PM']Howdy, A hypathetical question.

If your wife(a non musician) gave you an ultimatum. Stop doing your gigs or we will have to part company.

what would your answer be?

bear in mind you live a very comfortable life with a good lookin girl(who you love dearly) who is also very pleasant and who has enough of her own money as not to drain your resources.

any (hypathetical) advice? Would love to hear it

also bear in mind "you weren't a musician when I met you" was the conversation starter
"but Ive just got better" was the reply[/quote]

If my wife asked this, then she would not be the same person I know now anyway, so Id guess things would have gone wrong already due to her change of character

I am as someone said earlier a "hobby player" but both of us know the importance of hobbies, sports and being social, and encourage it in our kids

Its is up to me to manage how much it impacts on other stuff, if a week gets intense with a gig etc at a bad time, I make sure I compensate the following week with more family stuff

I did give up something when we married and promised to not encourage our kids to do it, but she has never asked me to give in any other area in 13 years, and that was a 2 wheel dangerous thing, so I can understand and don't really miss it

I be a real grump if I couldn't play music and footy anyhow

Sorry if that bored you all, but it just made me feel grateful (for me wife and bass:) )

[quote name='lojo' post='1003899' date='Oct 28 2010, 03:39 PM']If my wife asked this, then she would not be the same person I know now anyway, so Id guess things would have gone wrong already due to her change of character

I am as someone said earlier a "hobby player" but both of us know the importance of hobbies, sports and being social, and encourage it in our kids

Its is up to me to manage how much it impacts on other stuff, if a week gets intense with a gig etc at a bad time, I make sure I compensate the following week with more family stuff

I did give up something when we married and promised to not encourage our kids to do it, but she has never asked me to give in any other area in 13 years, and that was a 2 wheel dangerous thing, so I can understand and don't really miss it

I be a real grump if I couldn't play music and footy anyhow

Sorry if that bored you all, but it just made me feel grateful (for me wife and bass:) )[/quote]

I'm the same, if I can't go training/play music I tend to get quite irritable.

I made it clear on the very first date with Mrs Cat that I gig pretty much every weekend as well as rehearse once a week & she accepts that she if she wants to be with me she has to share me with the band!! TBH she's never complained & is not the sort to ask the question in the first place. Besides I think she enjoys telling people she's dating a rock star!

My missus sometimes gets a bit narked when I have more than one practice a week plus a gig plus a few training outings on my bike, mostly due to me not earning any cash that week :) But she would never give me that sort of ultimatum unless I was really not earning any money and was out messing about with my mates every single day.

A few practices and gigs plus the bike 3 times a week and earn 150 quid a week [ we are both happy part time skivers and can live in poverty quite happily ] and such an ultimatum if it came would be met with derision, I would tell her to stop buying stuff on ebay and not to mention Christmas again.