Why become a member? ×

If you had to use a single cab ...

lanark

Money no object?

Would probably be an EBS or MESA 4x12 if money, space transport were all taken care of!

In a practical getting gear in the back of a car, I would take a good 2x12, Aguilar, Bergantino, Glock or one of the two aforementioned names.

That said, I'm not going to actually be buying any amp gear for quite a while, so I won't actually be getting any of these!

After gigging my ACME Low-B2 I can't really see what else can come close. It's similar in tone/air movement as a Trace stack of 2 large 1x15 cabs that I once played through at a rehearsal studio. I couldn't believe it when the ACME sounded like that. So much (clean) bottom end extension I've actually had to dial out some bass. Very responsive to EQ, but I've pretty much been playing with bass & amp EQ set flat.

It is power hungry, but it's all about the tone right?! If I ever need another cab, I'll be looking for another Low B2 to stack on this one.

A 15" plus horn, I prefer it to 2x12" or 4x10" because I love when I push the 15" too much and it starts to fart... Power-wise I would say 300-500w. Almost any quality monitor, active or passive with a 15" and a horn and I am happy, the flatter the response the better.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='619064' date='Oct 6 2009, 09:48 PM']The conclusion I'm arriving at is that bass players are now totally spoiled for choice.

I remember when bass cabs were all fields...[/quote]

+1 It is genuinely a fantastic time to be looking for bass gear....

[quote name='lanark' post='618676' date='Oct 6 2009, 03:38 PM']Either a money's no object, or if you're short on cash and can only afford a single cab, which would be the best use of that one box for all occasions?[/quote]
Can only comment on the latter & chose a Barefaced Big Juan. Presented with the former situation, I'd get another or maybe even commission a Double Big Juan ™ to sit under the Matamp I'd also commission.

[quote name='thumperbob 2002' post='620231' date='Oct 8 2009, 08:12 AM']Schroeder 1212L and 1515L- why have one when you can have two- very light and fit in the boot of my car easy- any one can be used on its own but together.....................Massive.

Picking them up- the 2 x15 is lighter than the 1212L- feels like a cab without speakers fitted.

Bob[/quote]
The 1515L sounds intriguing. Do let me know if you're gigging around the Leeds/Harrogate way...I'd love to try a bit of weightlifting!

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='620338' date='Oct 8 2009, 10:39 AM']The 1515L sounds intriguing. Do let me know if you're gigging around the Leeds/Harrogate way...I'd love to try a bit of weightlifting![/quote]

Will do though most of our gigs are fairly local- or private functions-such as the parsonage in Escrick.

If you have lifted a 1212L - take away what the horn weighs- thats the 1515L.

Bob

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='618691' date='Oct 6 2009, 03:48 PM']I do only use a single cab because I'm lazy and only have a small car - it's a Schroeder 1212L and I'm surprisingly happy with it.[/quote]

+ 1 although i dont have a car so im limited to what my drummer can get in his.

• 2 weeks later...