Why become a member? ×

Eye of the Tiger

tonybassplayer

Not quite sure how it happened but we decided to try out Survivor's mid eighties chart hit Eye of the Tiger ( the one from the Rocky film ) and it went down a storm in both our rocky pub set and our party/function set but is it a "mid eighties rock classic" or "total cheese" ??

I was definitely in the "total cheese" camp until I saw the audience reactions the last two nights and I think it is going to be in the set for a long time although I think it may have the potential to be a future "Mustang Sally" in the playing stakes :)

Any thoughts ??

[quote name='tonybassplayer' post='603331' date='Sep 20 2009, 08:30 AM']Not quite sure how it happened but we decided to try out Survivor's mid eighties chart hit Eye of the Tiger ( the one from the Rocky film ) and it went down a storm in both our rocky pub set and our party/function set but is it a "mid eighties rock classic" or "total cheese" ??

I was definitely in the "total cheese" camp until I saw the audience reactions the last two nights and I think it is going to be in the set for a long time although I think it may have the potential to be a future "Mustang Sally" in the playing stakes :)

Any thoughts ??[/quote]

Think of it as 'ironic' and your cool credentials remain unharmed! That's what you tell yourself anyway :rolleyes:

[quote name='iamapirate' post='603973' date='Sep 20 2009, 09:34 PM']it was only a matter of time...

dunno what you class THAT as...[/quote]

That is f***ing brilliant. I love the way the whole audience walk past at 1.45.

Whatever happened to Bontempi keyboards anyway?

Its cheese: the voice of corporate America. Has nothing whatsoever to do with the creative energy behind rock as an expressive art form and has everything to do with the tin pan alley, 'line 'em up and pick em off', 'tell me what you want and how much you can pay' method of songwriting.

The eighties was full of this watered down stuff, the rock equivalent of ready meals. High on sugar content and short on nutritional value.

Me no like.

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='604303' date='Sep 21 2009, 10:26 AM']Its cheese: the voice of corporate America. Has nothing whatsoever to do with the creative energy behind rock as an expressive art form and has everything to do with the tin pan alley, 'line 'em up and pick em off', 'tell me what you want and how much you can pay' method of songwriting.

The eighties was full of this watered down stuff, the rock equivalent of ready meals. High on sugar content and short on nutritional value.

Me no like.[/quote]

Yeah, that's the bits I like.

In my old originals band the three of us rhythm section guys would mooch on unobtrusively, crank everything up loud, and blast into the opening riff to Eye of the Tiger. Then our big-ego, prima donna vocalist would stride onto the stage like he owned the place. Crowd loved it.
We craftily worked a way to segue the riff into two or three of our most-common set opening songs. Sounds cheesy (and it was) but hey! that's showbiz, and it worked a charm...

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='604303' date='Sep 21 2009, 10:26 AM']Its cheese: the voice of corporate America. Has nothing whatsoever to do with the creative energy behind rock as an expressive art form and has everything to do with the tin pan alley, 'line 'em up and pick em off', 'tell me what you want and how much you can pay' method of songwriting.

Me no like.[/quote]

And things have changed?

Me no like.[/quote]

You're right, it's GREAT! :)