Why become a member? ×

Bass Bargains You've Found

Bass_In_Yer_Face

Bought a Cort G250 g**tar from a bloke for £60 - a bargain in itself. then he went upstairs and brought down a Wesley P-bass with a huge crack across it. "You can have that for nowt if you like - I dropped it".
Turns out the crack is just in the finish and for a cheapo bass it plays and sounds surprisingly good. I think the crack looks kinda cool too!

[quote name='MB1' post='594560' date='Sep 10 2009, 10:02 AM']MB1. :rolleyes:
....Rare BCRs?....The Bay City Rollers are still Touring!...Shang a Lang![/quote]

Very funny,but,not the Bay City Rollers,but,B.C.Riches

2 of 7 ever made

I found 'em both

1 of about 10 ever made

1 of just a handful of Explorer basses made

And this is just some of the basses I found for my American friend,not including any of the guitars I found for my Polish friend :)

[quote name='Lorne' post='594120' date='Sep 9 2009, 05:57 PM']Absolutley,and he even remembered to remove the battery,leave the sales receipt and original warranty card,and the original straplocks in the original case (Which he remembered to leave unlocked)

He bought the bass in June 1979 and moved to South Africa in 1982,the bass went into the loft and I removed it in December 2006,so,24 years in a Loft!!!!

No signs of wear though,or wood worm! ha ha ha

Phil with the bass

The 1981 Mockingbird

The Gunslinger
[/quote]

Wow...what a bass...owned by rock royalty no less.

[quote name='Bass_In_Yer_Face' post='594833' date='Sep 10 2009, 03:54 PM']Wow...what a bass...owned by rock royalty no less.[/quote]

He didn't actually own the bass,it and 3 B.C.Rich guitars,were lent to the band by the U.K. importer for a few days,to record the video :)

I"m not lucky enough to find a decent bass for a knock down price, however im a member of my local freecycle group where people give away items they no longer want or need, you can also put wanted ads on as well so the other day i placed a wanted ad asking for old bass bodies for a project i fancied doing (cheeky, i know but if you dont ask you dont get) and was contacted by a guy in southport who said he had a full bass i could have as it had been in his shed for around 20 years and he wanted shut of it, when i picked up the bass it even had a hardcase with it, i didnt even look at the bass till i got home.
Check out the action in the pic, it must have been an inch high, the bridge is in great nick as is the maple neck now its been cleaned and the body had been painted with a brush :) there were strokes everywhere so i rubbed it down and now its blue but i"ve decided to replace all the electrics and pickups.
All in all a bass that cost me nothing and with very little outlay could turn out very nice indeed, it has no marks or makers name anywhere so im surmising its a cheap thing that the guy bought when he was a teenager, it even had a cheesy learn bass book in the case.
RESULT

[quote name='martthebass' post='595028' date='Sep 10 2009, 07:11 PM']Just picked up a mint condition Overwater Perception Fretless Deluxe for less than £550 from the bay........good deal?[/quote]

Goddammit, that was one I was watching - it had listed before, and didn't make its reserve at about £520, so I wasn't taking it seriously at £500 or so when I looked away... If I'd known it'd go for that sort of money, you'd have had a duel on your hands...in a gentlemanly BC-sort of way, naturally... :)

Great bargain!

[quote name='Muzz' post='595683' date='Sep 11 2009, 01:52 PM']Goddammit, that was one I was watching - it had listed before, and didn't make its reserve at about £520, so I wasn't taking it seriously at £500 or so when I looked away... If I'd known it'd go for that sort of money, you'd have had a duel on your hands...in a gentlemanly BC-sort of way, naturally... :)

Great bargain![/quote]

Yup missed out on it first time around with a bid at £510 (reserve not met), put in a speculative punt at £550 and was lucky to nab it for £532. Feels much nicer than a bass of that price and not a single mark on it - smells like it's been sat in it's box for a year. Nice slab of ebony on the board and nicely contrasting Cedar back and figured walnut frontage. Didn't have much of a clue how much these cost new until I bought it. Just put some TI Jazz flats on it and it now sings like a good un. Now where did I put my old Japan CDs..........

My latest bargain:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110433514113&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWNX:IT[/url]

Brand new speakers in it & a flight case with it - needs a bit of a clean up, some of the carpet covering replaced, new tuning port ring & a knob for the horn control

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='594414' date='Sep 10 2009, 12:14 AM']Last week I found a guy selling a natural Warwick Streamer bass on gumtree.
I thought it strange he had it as a 'warwick streamer' rather than 'warwick streamer stage one' or 'warwick streamer LX' or whatever.
Sure enough, lovely Warwick streamer stage one, good (played) condition, made September 1991. mmm

oh and £400...

:) ill stick photos up soon[/quote]
Yeh, I phoned about that one too, but you'd already arranged to see the guy.

Never mind, well done mate, it looked a cracker!

Kets

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='594236' date='Sep 9 2009, 07:49 PM']I'll own up to one bargain ('cos it's a keeper). A five string Ibanez SR505 that is so fast and smooth, it plays itself.

The best £100 I've ever spent on eBay![/quote]
Finally got round to snapping a photo of it. It's not in the best condition, cosmetically, but then I like 'character'.

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='596464' date='Sep 12 2009, 12:04 PM']Finally got round to snapping a photo of it. It's not in the best condition, cosmetically, but then I like 'character'.[/quote]

if you keep it inside it will keep in a better condition for longer. otherwise maybe creosote the whole thing?

[quote name='flatwound' post='597014' date='Sep 13 2009, 02:55 AM']And this is just some of the basses I found for my American friend,not including any of the guitars I found for my Polish friend

"G'day Lorne,...I love you :wub: :wub: can I be your Aussie friend, and you could [b][i]find[/i][/b] [u]me[/u] a Rickenbacker"...?? :rolleyes:[/quote]

Ha ha,sorry mate,I only deal in BCR's,I really wouldn't know how to spot a fake Rick from a real one :)

My Ibby BTB406QM cost me a ton off ebay. It's a tiny bit scruffy, granted, but 100 quid was a bargain I reckon.

[quote name='Bigwan' post='593036' date='Sep 8 2009, 04:47 PM']Bought my Wal Custom for just over £500. I thought that was a bargain...[/quote]
I paid £330 for my Pro 2E :)
Wish I'd bought the pre-EB 'Ray I once saw advertised for £250 though...

• 5 months later...

check this ,,, Aria Pro 11 black 'n' gold [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270537150086&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWNX:IT[/url]
bought on e bay for 99 quids ,, think I got a good deal ??
well made up,, :)

Edited by jaybass 70

• 2 weeks later...

I spent over a year trying to convince a guy I know who doesn't play any more to sell me his 80 something ric 4001. It had been sat at his parents house for years. The day I finaly convinced him he didn't need it any more we went to pick it up and his mum told me that she had given it to someones 12 y/o son from her church :) imagine how that felt :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Bassistclem' post='784984' date='Mar 24 2010, 06:48 PM']I was lucky enough to find a Westone Thunder 1A at a car boot for only £12. The guy was asking £15 but I still felt the need to barter him down. Not a bad bass either.[/quote]
It's your duty! :) My Westy Thunder 1 guitar (bit of a project, admittedly) was £7 - I got him down from a tenner. As you do.

Jon.

My brother picked up a 1964 Epiphone Rivoli from a junk shop about 15 years ago for £35. Sold it lastr year in Denmark Street for £1200!

I managed to pick up a lovely Jap Strat from Cash Converters in Ipswich for £180 - sold it 3 days later in my shop for £399.