Why become a member? ×

Bass Bargains You've Found

Bass_In_Yer_Face

[quote name='owen' post='593374' date='Sep 8 2009, 10:23 PM']Also originally from MS, my brother snagged this for £200.00 in 1989. The full story is elsewhere on the forum, but deffo a bargain.

I cannot find the story. Tell me more![/quote]

CRAP..! Must've been on the old forum. It's a good story, but it's late so I'll tell it tomorrow.

My lefty Ibanez MC924 was originally advertised for 100 Euros a few months ago. Bidding immediately went over, and because I wanted it really badly I emailed the seller right away I was willing to offer him 400. He immediately agreed and I picked it up. So not quite the bargain it originally seemed, but still a very good price. It was in perfect condition, with the original case (like new), and the seller was the original owner who even included the original receipt. The bass had been laying around in its case in the attic for over 10 years.

Brilliant bass, and very rare to come by lefthanded. Less than 350 were made, most of which are of the latter model with the split-coil and J-style pickups in large casings. Mine is an '81 with the big bakelite singlecoils with large polepieces. I'm a happy man!

In 2001 when I was at Uni a local cash generator type place had two 70's precisions in, both sunburst one maple neck (IIRC) and the other was fretless. One was up at £350 and the other was £400. I had precision at the time and loved it, offered the guy £400 cash there and then for the fretted but he said some guy had been paying it off for over a year at about £10 a month! the fretless was sold but had no tag to say so. I was gutted!

I keep plodding into cash converters and such and never find any good bargains instrument wise. Did get a Marin mountainbike in great condition for £99 though!

[quote name='Lorne' post='593716' date='Sep 9 2009, 11:28 AM']1978 USA B.C.Rich Mockingbird bass,used in a Thin Lizzy Video,cost me £0
1981 USA B.C.Rich Mockingbird bass cost me £0
1960's Hagstrom bass cost me £0
1980's USA B.C.Rich Gunslinger bass,my cost on it £25

:)[/quote]

How did you wrangle these? Tell me via PM if necessary! :rolleyes:

I've just picked up a Vintage bubinga bodied 5er for £50 + £8 delivery, been trying to fing a 5er that i like the sound, feel and look of for a while

If this doesn't fit the bill i'll pass it on at £58 + p+p to anyone who wants it

I remember when i was at uni in Sheffield, i saw a new 5 string Stingray in natural for just over £500. The local music shop was closing down and there were bargains galore. My mate got a nice cheapy acoustic for £30. I remember having spent all my money of my course books and a memory upgrade for my laptop, when the next installment of my loan came through the bass was predictably gone

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='593777' date='Sep 9 2009, 12:38 PM']I've just picked up a Vintage bubinga bodied 5er for £50 + £8 delivery, been trying to fing a 5er that i like the sound, feel and look of for a while

If this doesn't fit the bill i'll pass it on at £58 + p+p to anyone who wants it[/quote]

Whooooosh! Dibs, please. :) :rolleyes: :lol:

[quote name='BigAlonBass' post='593794' date='Sep 9 2009, 12:56 PM']Whooooosh! Dibs, please. :) :rolleyes: :lol:[/quote]

Ok, 1st dibs it is!

It was listed as a mahogany bass, . However it's one of the earlier Vintage ones with gold hardware and i presume a 2-band active eq. presume it's bubinga bodied as the photos were a bit poo. The seller also thought it was an Encore even though it says "Vintage" in big letters on the headstock!

[quote]1978 USA B.C.Rich Mockingbird bass,used in a Thin Lizzy Video,cost me £0
1981 USA B.C.Rich Mockingbird bass cost me £0
1960's Hagstrom bass cost me £0
1980's USA B.C.Rich Gunslinger bass,my cost on it £25[/quote]

Not counting favours, eh Lorne? :brow:

Some awesome bargains. No wonder we don't see any up here, they don't get further than Plymouth!

[quote name='scottblessed' post='593775' date='Sep 9 2009, 12:36 PM']recently picked up an original (76 I think) Gibson Grabber for £180.[/quote]

I bought a copy of one of these for £60 & sold it to a guy in the US for £150

I went through a phase of finding bargains & selling them on quickly:

Rickenbacker 4003 - bought for £600 - sold week later for £970

Squier JV Precision - bought for £200 - sold for £400

Left handed stingray 5 - bought from Denmark, including shipping for £550 - sold for £850 plus shipping

Thumb NT5 - bought for £600, sold week later for £1000 cash.

I still have a weekly look in my local Crack Generator but have yet to find something

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='593769' date='Sep 9 2009, 12:31 PM']How did you wrangle these? Tell me via PM if necessary! :rolleyes:[/quote]

1978 Mockingbird was just given to me,by it's owner,who lives in South African,the bass was in his parents loft in Northampton,had been for 24 years
1960's Hagstrom /\ His parents made me take it
1981 Mockingbird,my friend in Poland gave it to me for finding him rare BCR's
Gunslinger bass,some American friends owed me favors,so they paid most of the bass

Also,got a 1987 USA neck thru BCR ST bass with a new case and shipping for the same price my friend payed for it without the case and shipping-agan for finding him rare BCRs :)

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='593954' date='Sep 9 2009, 03:49 PM']Ah, good work!

And loft basses do actually exist! :)[/quote]

Absolutley,and he even remembered to remove the battery,leave the sales receipt and original warranty card,and the original straplocks in the original case (Which he remembered to leave unlocked)

He bought the bass in June 1979 and moved to South Africa in 1982,the bass went into the loft and I removed it in December 2006,so,24 years in a Loft!!!!

No signs of wear though,or wood worm! ha ha ha

Phil with the bass

The 1981 Mockingbird

The Gunslinger

[quote name='clauster' post='593696' date='Sep 9 2009, 11:04 AM']I'd say anyone who's bought a used Warwick in the last 2 years has got a bargain.

Shame though as I don't get on with mine most of the time, but I'm not selling at a bargain basement price.[/quote]

Last week I found a guy selling a natural Warwick Streamer bass on gumtree.
I thought it strange he had it as a 'warwick streamer' rather than 'warwick streamer stage one' or 'warwick streamer LX' or whatever.
Sure enough, lovely Warwick streamer stage one, good (played) condition, made September 1991. mmm

oh and £400...

:) ill stick photos up soon

A few that I have picked up,and some of my friends finds....
I had a Warwick Thumb 5, new, on finance.there was a mistake with the finance company,I ended up paying £250. About ten years ago.
I recently picked up a Mesa Boogie 2x15 diesel cab for £150.
My mate was fitting a P.A system in a church in the area a few years back,as he was feeding leads under te stage floor,he hit his elbow. Put his torch on and saw the word" MARSHALL" looking back at him. It was one of those plexi heads from the 70's. They told him he could have it,they didnt know it was there. He put £50 into their kitty.
My builder mate was converting some guys garage, when he went to give a quote, he noticed some amps. They got talking and the guy didnt play any more and told him he could have the lot. Most of it was crap but there was a mint custom Carlsbro 50 top in there,and it sounds amazing.
And attic guitars do exist.....I think the crack convertor bargains are a myth though. I check all the time but nothing!

There are one or two... :rolleyes:

My No. 1 CSL (Fujigen) custom Jazz - £60 from local pawn shop.

Current squeeze Westbury Track 2 - £61 delivered from Fleabay, replaced the bridge & switch & it's a stunner.

1981 Ibanez RS924 Roadster - practically mint, in original case, £80 from Glumtree. Bought it intending to make a quick profit but once I set it up & played it, no chance - it's a keeper.

1983 SQ serial Squier Precision - bad listing on Ebay which didn't get seen - apart from by me. There was an amp I didn't want included in the sale, I waited for the auction to end with no bids, contacted the seller & did a naughty off-Ebay deal for it - £140 delivered. Utterly orgasmically gorgeous P, it was so hard to part with it - but £420 changed my mind... :brow:

A butchered Rick copy from Ebay for £65 delivered - it had been a really nice through-neck copy but had been defretted, converted to L/H and the body reshaped. Fortunately all the hardware & fitted hard case were intact. I stripped it & put the body/neck back on the Bay at 99p, no reserve. It sold for £180...

Aria AMB-50 acoustic bass for £50 delivered - it turned up in a really smart, new-looking Gator rigid case. Inside the pocket of the case were two brand-new sets of acoustic bass strings & 3 sets of Roto Swing Bass.

Strolled into Crack Convertors & saw an old Satellite Jazz copy on the wall for £50. Seeing a quick £40 profit, I asked to have a go, only to find the neck pup wasn't working. I asked if they'd knock a few quid off - and strolled away with it for £25. After I re-soldered the neck pup lead to the pot, I Ebayed it for £95.

If I start telling you about the deals I've had on g*it*rs you'll probably want to come & kill me... :)

Jon.

[quote name='Lorne' post='593913' date='Sep 9 2009, 02:50 PM']1978 Mockingbird was just given to me,by it's owner,who lives in South African,the bass was in his parents loft in Northampton,had been for 24 years
1960's Hagstrom /\ His parents made me take it
1981 Mockingbird,my friend in Poland gave it to me for finding him rare BCR's
Gunslinger bass,some American friends owed me favors,so they paid most of the bass

Also,got a 1987 USA neck thru BCR ST bass with a new case and shipping for the same price my friend payed for it without the case and shipping-agan for finding him rare BCRs :)[/quote]

MB1. :rolleyes:
....Rare BCRs?....The Bay City Rollers are still Touring!...Shang a Lang!