Why become a member? ×

Tears for fears

YouMa

[quote name='Rich' post='586946' date='Sep 1 2009, 09:30 PM']So what? If I gave a flying fart about 'cool' (who exactly decides what is and isn't 'cool' anyway?), I wouldn't own 80% of my CDs.[/quote]
I'm the guy who decides what COOL is & what is COOL.

& in the 80's & still now all the names you have mentioned most certainly fall into the COOL category. As did Depeche Mode, the Mission, SOM & the Human Leagues first 5 albums (they lost it on Crash).

:)

I wasn't a big fan of the 80s in the 80s although I've since come full circle on a couple of acts. The 70s is my favourite decade & I spent a lot of the 80s listening to old punk. However this was the moment I decided I wanted to play & be in a band. Last year I got to back the singer at a gig in Swindon which was a 20yr old dream come true

Nobody's mentioned them yet so I have to add Prefab Sprout to the list (not that they looked crap).

I absolutely LOVE them - Paddy McAloon is one of the greatest songwriters ever IMO, and Martin McAloons bass parts are always great.
"Swoon" & "Steve McQueen" are two of my favourite albums of all time.

[quote name='mike257' post='586819' date='Sep 1 2009, 07:58 PM']Hell yeah! They did a bunch of different re-releases, I think it was earlier this year. Brendan O'Brien had already remixed a track or two for the 'rearviewmirror' greatest hits thing, but the whole album got done. Sounds much more ballsy and like his stuff on Vs, I like it!

See BigRedX's point about the production placing it in it's time though, it does have it's charm! I'm just a fan of his sound, I guess, I love the stuff he did with RATM and Incubus too.[/quote]

Ok, thats really interesting. I vividly remember discussing with the record label about producers for our album and we came so close to flying over to Seatle to record with the guy who did Pearl Jam's first album. This was back in 1998 so I guess the original release. We were in discussions with him and had pretty much agreed to go ahead with it. The record company were really set on using this guy. However, we as a band really were not despite myself loveing grunge. Not only did we not want an american sound but the guitar sounded really thin and weedy. We were more Green Day than Pearl Jam. Plus the extra cost and hassle of flying to the US and getting all our gear over there.

Really interesting that its now been beefed up. I am going to have to go and buy it. Is there any way of telling which is the re-mixed album over the original release???

[quote name='V4lve' post='586942' date='Sep 1 2009, 10:26 PM']I always had a soft spot for Talk Talk. They looked crap but certainly delivered on the songwriting and playing front. The last two albums (essentially Mark Hollis and their producer/keyboard player noodling in the studio with session players) were almost permanently in my CD player during the early 90s.

Check out the drummer in this video.

[/quote]
*slaps forehead*

Of course! How could I forget them, probably my favourite 80s band. "Spirit of Eden", "The Colour of Spring" - brilliant albums. And their music has aged very well, especially compared to other artists from that period.

[quote name='Soulfinger' post='587624' date='Sep 2 2009, 04:19 PM']*slaps forehead*

Of course! How could I forget them, probably my favourite 80s band. "Spirit of Eden", "The Colour of Spring" - brilliant albums. And their music has aged very well, especially compared to other artists from that period.[/quote]

I adore Talk Talk. The Colour of Spring is one of my top 5 albums and one of the few albums I can listen through from start to finish and not want to skip a single song.

Japan anyone? I loved the Quiet Life and Polaroids album and what about Mick Karn!?
Simple Minds had a great Bass player in Derek Forbes, Sons and Fasination and for some good slapping on a Fender P the follow up album New Gold Dream.

I liked the Associates and thier 3rd Album Sulk is a classic.

Strange thing about the 80's most of the 'pop' bands had great Bass Players!?

A shout for Echo and the Bunnymen!

• 1 year later...

[quote name='RichB' post='586903' date='Sep 1 2009, 08:52 PM']Mmm should we take it that you didn't like the Thompson Twins then?[/quote]
Didn't the drummer and keyboard player from the Thompson Twins end up in the Cure? Another 80's "pop" band (OK so they started in the 70's) that actually aren't too bad and as for Simon Gallup, probably one of the best and most influential bass players of the time.

[quote name='Linus27' post='586359' date='Sep 1 2009, 11:10 AM']...As for TFT, awsome band...[/quote]

I assume you meant TFF rather than TFT here? its funny that that stuck out for me as my Band is abbreviated as TFT.

the best way of telling if it is the re-mastered copy of TEN or not is to ask yourself, 'is this on the shelf at HMV?'

but I believe there is a (P) date that is 2000 and something or another. rather than 1992 (ish) from the original.

<Blatant Plug> if you like Pear Jam, check out my band, you might like us as well</Blatant Plug>

[quote name='Golchen' post='587185' date='Sep 2 2009, 09:16 AM']Some 80's music is still enjoyable, but I don't think that most of it could be described as cool. [b]Probably the worst period in music history[/b].[/quote]
For me, that's the 90s. Dire, awful, horrid decade. Almost totally uninspiring musically.
Just MHO, of course. :)

Siouxsie and the Banshees (they may have started in the 70's, but the albums they released in the 80's are all superb)

Fields Of The Nephilim (dodgy goth in the extreme, but the album The Nephilim has some of the best use of two guitars in a single band I've ever heard, and Celebrate is virtually a bass guitar/vox duet, whats not to like??)

BowWowWow

Bauhaus

RHCP (yup, their 80's stuff is some of their best)

Pop Will Eat Itself (Box Frenzy is a classic album)

Fuzzbox

The Cramps (A Date With ELvis is sublimey excellent)

The Meteors (Paul Fennig, you're disgusting!)