Why become a member? ×

Tears for fears

YouMa

The The were magic
Infected may be the best slice of Thatcher era commentary on England
an interesting cat was Mr Johnson

and for the second time on this site I ask;
do anyone know what sort of Bass James Eller played on the Mind Bomb tour?
that's the gigs with Johnny Marr
thanks

Killing Joke - Love Like Blood was a favourite of mine

Talk Talk - its my life ( no, not the tampon advertising 90s one)

I never really appreciated TFF until I saw Donnie Darko - Mad World and Head over Heels are proper 80s classics

Hue & Cry - Labour of Love. I briefly had lessons from James Finnegan, their bass player

I'm sure there are more but I'm pissed and the old brain's not working at full capacity

Woo Hoo. Party

I'll stick my neck out here and say that for me, the 80's and 90's were forgettable, in terms of music/bands.

We had the raw, angry energy of punk in the mid 70's (it's self an opposite to the outbreak of disco. I still and always will loathe the high pitched cacophony spewed out by the bgees.) That was such an exciting time, everyone seemed to be picking up a guitar (some even picked up a bass!), bands were forming all over the place, enthusiasm kicked talent in the goolies, anyone could make music and it was FUN.

The 80's brought the 'new romantics' as an antidote to punk, music started to take itself seriously again and the rot set in. I found the fashions laughable, awful tv programmes, thatcher and her scum turned the country into the selfish mess society has become today. I found the 80's and 90's a very depressing time, life for me and for a hell of a lot of others, seemed to be hard work and the music didn't lift my spirits like the previous decade.

Maybe it's just my age. :)

[quote name='xgsjx' post='964657' date='Sep 22 2010, 04:57 PM']Queen, Simple Minds, U2, Marillion, Prince, RHCP, Sugar Cubes,Bob Marley, Guns n Roses.

Surely these aren't forgettable bands?[/quote]

Good point and until you mentioned them I had forgotten them! :)
For me, Queen were a band of the 70's. I was at the Christmas Eve televised concert in 1975 and went to the jubilee concert they did at Earl's Court in 1977 on two consecutive nights. Hated what they produced during the 80's, imo, Queen lost their way after 'News Of The World'. Bob Marley was another 70's era for me. I was never into the others, just didn't like anything they did so I didn't listen. I can't name one track by the Sugar Cubes!

I really think it's an age related thing. Those who are ten years senior to me, probably weren't into what I was listening to during my 10 -20's (1970 - 1980). My younger Brother's taste in music is definately 80's influenced and he's four years my junior.

Probably not explaining myself clearly.

[quote name='51m0n' post='963461' date='Sep 21 2010, 04:07 PM']Siouxsie and the Banshees (they may have started in the 70's, but the albums they released in the 80's are all superb)

Fields Of The Nephilim (dodgy goth in the extreme, but the album The Nephilim has some of the best use of two guitars in a single band I've ever heard, and Celebrate is virtually a bass guitar/vox duet, whats not to like??)[/quote]

Gotta agree woth you on the Banshees stuff, and as for the Nephilim - Last Exit For The Lost - greatest track they did.

I think, for me anyway, the 90's were far worse - at least in the 80's we had the tail end of the initial punk period, which lurched into the Gothy/Punky/Rocky era - as was mentioned previously, New Model Army, Sisters Of Mercy etc......

While these were not mainstream acts, they were still popular.

Edited by arsenic

[quote name='foal30' post='963953' date='Sep 21 2010, 11:21 PM']The The were magic
Infected may be the best slice of Thatcher era commentary on England
an interesting cat was Mr Johnson

and for the second time on this site I ask;
do anyone know what sort of Bass James Eller played on the Mind Bomb tour?
that's the gigs with Johnny Marr
thanks[/quote]

I seem to recall it was this [url="http://www.myspace.com/jamesellerbass/photos/1873710"](Lorimer Geilgud Custom)[/url] ?

• 3 weeks later...

80's genius? Look no further than Crowded House. Awesome band.

Tears For Fears are one of my faves, back then, and now. The 'Everybody Loves a Happy Ending' album of a few years back is great. Everybody Wants To Rule The World is one of my fave songs ever. I recall getting bored of some songs I liked back then, but I never got bored of that one, and I still don't. They were inspired by the bass line from Simple Minds' Waterfront and used it for Everybody Wants To Rule The World. Also, after not partaking in Live Aid, they contributed a sample of the drums from the The Hurting's title track to the Band Aid single. Listen and you can hear it at the beginning.

Other top 80's bands, and faves of mine include Talk Talk, A-ha, Simple Minds, Simply Red's Picture Book was a cracking album, Del Amitri, FGTH, INXS, Propaganda, The The, Depeche Mode, and Talking Heads.

Edited by webby

[quote name='webby' post='986960' date='Oct 13 2010, 02:08 PM']80's genius? Look no further than Crowded House. Awesome band.

Tears For Fears are one of my faves, back then, and now. The 'Everybody Loves a Happy Ending' album of a few years back is great. Everybody Wants To Rule The World is one of my fave songs ever. I recall getting bored of some songs I liked back then, but I never got bored of that one, and I still don't. They were inspired by the bass line from Simple Minds' Waterfront and used it for Everybody Wants To Rule The World. Also, after not partaking in Live Aid, they contributed a sample of the drums from the The Hurting's title track to the Band Aid single. Listen and you can hear it at the beginning.

Other top 80's bands, and faves of mine include Talk Talk, A-ha, Simple Minds, Simply Red's Picture Book was a cracking album, Del Amitri, FGTH, INXS, Propaganda, The The, Depeche Mode, and Talking Heads.[/quote]

80's music really was superb.

and this group were almost never seen so no ones too sure if they looked bad, but the lead singer always looked to me like he needed a good dinner from the record's jacket :)

...strange thing about this song, my late friend was working on the London Underground fire alarm system, came across a busker singing this to a backing tape of this song and had one of the "who's on bass" conversations, asked him who is was by originally

"two People"
"yeah but what's the name of the group"
"two people"
"yeah, you just said that, but who by"
"two people"
"yeah but..."

Bit obscure....unless you lived in Espana in the 80's :)

...but I was taken to a concert by this group, by my then spanish girlfriend, they looked like the biggest bunch of miserable, scruffy, surly spanish waiters straight out of Llorett and turned up looking like they had just been doing a 12 hour shift and doing the dishes afterwards......but my god could they play, one of those jaw dropping experiences.....don't know what happended to them, but by Spainish std's they were a supergroup back then.

Edited by iconic

i'm lucky to be playing a far bit of 80s now in a covers band

back then there was real camps of what was cool or not in different circles and fashion groups

the great thing now is that its all well received as nostalgia to the 40ish year old and some good times are being had