Why become a member? ×

Is this the nicest bass ever made ?

edstraker123

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='583154' date='Aug 28 2009, 07:01 AM']The one called 'Uberhorn'? :)[/quote]

Serves me right for simply clicking on the link and not reading the whole post.

IMO, while not the nicest bass ever made, it is the nicest bass that Jon Shuker's ever made. A fretless with five strings might possibly tempt me, although if I could afford them I'd rather have the Pagelli or a Ritter that as others have pointed out in this thread do seem to be the influence behind this bass.

I saw that when I was at Jon's a few weeks back. The finish is simply stunning in the flesh. Personally, I'm not over keen on the pointy top horn, but it is nice to see something a bit different to your bog standard Jazz clones (which Jon also does incredibly well!!)

Edited by simon1964

[quote name='Fraktal' post='583141' date='Aug 28 2009, 02:29 AM']I wonder why most bassists cant see beauty beyond Fender. I have nothing against Fender basses, and I fancy the Jazz Bass tone, but the looks and the design are clearly outdated.[/quote]

Well see, now that's your opinion and no less valid than mine or anyone else's although it doenst seem you agree with that.

Maybe "most" bassists like the look of Fenders because, well, they can look nice. Personally i don't like the look of all Fenders but i do like the look of a Jazz bass.

I prefer small body, understated and comfortable basses. Having that long horn sticking out is not my idea of how i like a bass to look and i think it looks silly.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='simon1964' post='583212' date='Aug 28 2009, 08:54 AM']I saw that when I was at Jon's a few weeks back. The finish is simply stunning in the flesh. Personally, I'm not over keen on the pointy top horn, but it is nice to see something a bit different to your bog standard Jazz clones (which Jon also does incredibly well!!)[/quote]

Does he...? looked at his web site and the style of some things is an aquired taste...not got a problem with that in itself
but I haven't seen a bog standard clone of a jazz bass.
I might have a look at his work if he did

I looked under the header Jazz as that is where I would expect to find his clones.. so I summise clone in looks or sound..?? the latter I assume.

Have to see one up close but his entry prices appear attractive

[quote name='JTUK' post='583240' date='Aug 28 2009, 09:29 AM']Does he...? looked at his web site and the style of some things is an aquired taste...not got a problem with that in itself

I looked under the header Jazz as that is where I would expect to find his clones.. so I summise clone in looks or sound..?? the latter I assume.

Have to see one up close but his entry prices appear attractive[/quote]
Go to the Jazz page and click 'Gallery' - you will find some more traditional Jazz type basses about half way down (eg, white with maple/blocks)

[quote name='JTUK' post='583240' date='Aug 28 2009, 09:29 AM']Does he...? looked at his web site and the style of some things is an aquired taste...not got a problem with that in itself

Have to see one up close but his entry prices appear attractive[/quote]

If you look in the J Bass Gallery under "classic" he does make what I would call top end, traditional Jazzes, with the Fender style scratchplate, two single coils, 70s style block inlays (Go to the J Bass gallery and scroll two thirds of the way down). Its wrong of me to call them bog standard though, as they are incredibly good. Certainly nicer than my old MIA Jazz.

What I was really getting at was that Jon does make more traditional Fender shaped basses (including the JJ Burnell of course) as well as some of the more exotic shapes.

And you're right about his entry prices - pretty competitive compared to most custom luthiers. Mine cost me not much more than the list price of an MIA Fender, and way below what you would pay for a custom shop Fender.

He often has a Jazz clone as one of his stock models - you can pick up real bargains on those.

Edited by simon1964

[quote name='BigRedX' post='583194' date='Aug 28 2009, 08:25 AM']IMO, while not the nicest bass ever made, it is the nicest bass that Jon Shuker's ever made. A fretless with five strings might possibly tempt me, although if I could afford them I'd rather have the Pagelli or a Ritter that as others have pointed out in this thread do seem to be the influence behind this bass.[/quote]
Agreed about the 5-string fretless.

They're all just nicking the idea off Tony Tsai:

[attachment=31769:me_and_tsai.jpg]

:)

Edited by tauzero

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='583237' date='Aug 28 2009, 10:28 AM']Well see, now that's your opinion and no less valid than mine or anyone else's although it doenst seem you agree with that.[/quote]

I dont want to start a flame war here, but I think that wasnt an opinion, more like a common sense fact. Lets go back to 1960, when the Jazz Bass was released. Now think about the clothing people used to wear back in those days. Think about 1960 furniture, cars, electrodomestics or anything else. Would you say those designs arent outdated? Would you prefer to use "old-fashioned" as the word here?

The designs of that age (late 50's-early 60's) are outdated from a technical/design/engineering point of view. On the aesthetics side, they are old-fashioned. Some of us may like old stuff, but that doesnt transform it magically into contemporary/new/modern stuff. An opinion would be more like "the Jazz Bass looks crap" and I never said that.

Again, please try to understand that is not my aim to bash Fender, neither trying to impose my personal opinion above anyone's else. Im just saying its a late 50's design.

Edited by Fraktal

[quote name='edstraker123' post='582970' date='Aug 27 2009, 10:19 PM']Thought I'd have a look at Jon Shuker's site this afternoon and came across the 4 string Uberhorn.

I don't think I've ever seen a bass as beautiful as this.

[url="http://www.shukerguitars.co.uk/stock.htm"]http://www.shukerguitars.co.uk/stock.htm[/url]

What do you think ?[/quote]

Funny, and wonderful how everyone's aethetic is so different. I think it's a bit ugly looking to be frank.

Sorry mate.

[quote name='Davo-London' post='583122' date='Aug 28 2009, 12:52 AM']In a similar vein try this:

[url="http://www.pagelli.com/e/2instrum/image/gross/bg_gold_g.jpg"]http://www.pagelli.com/e/2instrum/image/gross/bg_gold_g.jpg[/url]

Davo[/quote]
That looks like something I did this morning.

[quote name='Fraktal' post='583440' date='Aug 28 2009, 12:21 PM']I dont want to start a flame war here, but I think that wasnt an opinion, more like a common sense fact. Lets go back to 1960, when the Jazz Bass was released. Now think about the clothing people used to wear back in those days. Think about 1960 furniture, cars, electrodomestics or anything else. [b]Would you say those designs arent outdated?[/b] Would you prefer to use "old-fashioned" as the word here? The designs of that age (late 50's-early 60's) are outdated from a technical/design/engineering point of view. On the aesthetics side, they are old-fashioned. Some of us may like old stuff, but that doesnt transform it magically into contemporary/new/modern stuff.

Again, please try to understand that is not my aim to bash Fender, Im just saying its a late 50's design.[/quote]
No flaming intended but....

Not 'outdated' or 'old-fashioned' at all but 'classic'.

The Shuker cited by the OP is, like most modern bass designs (in fact like most contemporary design in whatever field), IMHO, ugly and in fifty years no one will remember it.

'New' can't beat 'old' merely because it is 'new' (and vice versa) but anyway the Fender designs are not merely 'old' they are 'classic' and will remain so.

Your view would seem to imply that, for example, Oasis are better than the Beatles because they are newer and less old-fashioned. It makes no sense at all, let alone common sense.

[quote name='Fraktal' post='583141' date='Aug 28 2009, 02:29 AM']I have nothing against Fender basses, and I fancy the Jazz Bass tone, but the looks and the design are clearly outdated. I mean, come on, its XXI century, time to move on, maybe?[/quote]

I hope your home isn't painted magnolia.

[quote name='Fraktal' post='583440' date='Aug 28 2009, 12:21 PM']I dont want to start a flame war here, but I think that wasnt an opinion, more like a common sense fact. Lets go back to 1960, when the Jazz Bass was released. Now think about the clothing people used to wear back in those days. Think about 1960 furniture, cars, electrodomestics or anything else. Would you say those designs arent outdated? Would you prefer to use "old-fashioned" as the word here?

The designs of that age (late 50's-early 60's) are outdated from a technical/design/engineering point of view. On the aesthetics side, they are old-fashioned. Some of us may like old stuff, but that doesnt transform it magically into contemporary/new/modern stuff. An opinion would be more like "the Jazz Bass looks crap" and I never said that.

Again, please try to understand that is not my aim to bash Fender, neither trying to impose my personal opinion above anyone's else. Im just saying its a late 50's design.[/quote]

This is purely your aesthetic mate. You want things to move on. For me, a lot of the basses you allude to look like a monkfish's arse. For me, a white/black Precision is a thing of beauty.

I use Warwick because thay have taken the Fender blueprint and completely moved it forward in terms of everything. Loads of people hate them. It's personal, don't start telling folks their choices are backward or unsophisticated.

[quote name='edstraker123' post='582970' date='Aug 27 2009, 10:19 PM']Thought I'd have a look at Jon Shuker's site this afternoon and came across the 4 string Uberhorn.

I don't think I've ever seen a bass as beautiful as this.

[url="http://www.shukerguitars.co.uk/stock.htm"]http://www.shukerguitars.co.uk/stock.htm[/url]

What do you think ?[/quote]

yes i just looked at it a few moments ago to see if he had put this one back in stock as second hand

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/34963887@N02/sets/72157621683978205/show/"]Shuker T bass #001[/url]

Personally I think that bass is ugly & cheap looking - the sort of thing you'd get on Ebay for £349.
I just don't like those thin, elongated horns & the way the pickups are crammed together.
Looks like it was painted with Hammerite too.

I've got nothing against more bass modern designs, I don't think this one is a very good example of one.

There are some outstanding contemporary designs, and there are of course outstanding classic designs. The key here is "outstanding design". Obviously personal aesthetic plays a large part in this, but classics are classics because they've stood the test of time. The Chrysler Building, the Parthenon, a Japanese katana, a '60s Ford Mustang, an E-Type Jaguar; all classics. I don't feel that we should be stuck entirely in the past, but I also don't feel that we should leave it behind simply for the sake of it either. I think the original Fenders are great pieces of design. Same with Rickenbacker and Gretsch. I also love more modern instruments like Seis, Alembics and the Fodera Matt Garrison amongst others. For me at least it's not down to the era, it's down to the aesthetic, although it's perfectly true that the majority of the population tend to lean towards the familiar when it comes to design. This may be considered a flaw, but it's just as flawed (no more, no less) to think that something is aesthetically better simply because it's more modern.

[quote name='Fraktal' post='583440' date='Aug 28 2009, 12:21 PM']I dont want to start a flame war here, but I think that wasnt an opinion, more like a common sense fact. Lets go back to 1960, when the Jazz Bass was released. Now think about the clothing people used to wear back in those days. Think about 1960 furniture, cars, electrodomestics or anything else. Would you say those designs arent outdated? Would you prefer to use "old-fashioned" as the word here?

Again, please try to understand that is not my aim to bash Fender, neither trying to impose my personal opinion above anyone's else. Im just saying its a late 50's design.[/quote]

I dont think it is common sense to everyone.

But ill not argue about what i like vs what you like.

I think it is very hard for a modern or new luthier to try and create interest and more to the point, sell ..a different design may or may not do it..

There may be arguments for this and that..and the long horn could have a pratical balance point but we live in visual times and you will
find bands using Gibsons in videos when that instrument went nowhere near the track...

Conversely...
It may also be thought that old guitars are better...but I can rememer a pile of Fender crap and don't get me started on the Gibson basses and Rickenbackers of that vintage

The best one did survive...ditto marshal but you have to sort through a whole load .. QC wasn't like it is today..and still we get 'wrong uns'

I don't know how popular Shuker are but he is in a very competetive market so a new and 'cool' design might make a difference. There are enough here who seemed convinced to have a further look and that is the whole point..

If and when, you get these basses turning up 2nd hand, then you'll know whether they make keeper basses...

Rightly or wrongly..one of the easiest things to shift is a played in Jazz... made by Fender... it is a benchmark in design and purpose.
Even old 60-70's records had credits which said Fender bass.....

there you go..just talked myself into getting one... after all these years.. :)

I'd have it in a flash if I had the money and need. It's the kind of bass I could see myself using for theatre work - slightly shorter scale, wide range of tones from the pickups and preamp, and an absolute beauty to boot!

Danny