Why become a member? ×

The 'How high is your action?' thread - get involved!

wateroftyne

I borrowed a crazy mesuring tool off my dad. I could have gone to 2 decimal places but decided it was ok like this lol.
3rd 1.4
12th 2.5
17th 2.5
Shuker Jazz 33" scale D'Add strings, EADG, sorry I dont know the gauge, Eude wanna help me out?

Id consider that low to med. It would go lower im sure but I like to dig in.

i set mine lowish..until all the strings dont sizzle when plucked open
flattish bow and standard action usually achieves this
i like softish feel to my fretting so use TI rounds or lowish tension sets from others
if i want volume i dont batter the strings...fingerstyle
i just turn up the vol
i set my vol about 3/4 on the bass to give a measure of increment when necessary

re: my action is at the octave around 1/8"..

Indie 6 string. tuned BEADGC. strung with warwick black label strings. medium gauge 130 - 20

on the B string

3rd - 1.5
12th - 2
17th - 3

Medium low IMO

My B and E are set a little higher than the top 4 to stop the notes choking but they could go lower. i play with a light touch so fret buzz isnt usually a problem.

[quote name='funkypenguin' post='569870' date='Aug 15 2009, 01:04 PM']My B and E are set a little higher than the top 4 to stop the notes choking but they could go lower.[/quote]

I'd have thought that's the case with most bassists, particularly with standard strings sets. Excursion increases with decreasing frequency so for equal tension the low B will need to be a lot higher than the G not to buzz. Factor in that typical low B strings are much lower tension than G strings (insert Carry On humour here) and the action difference required gets even bigger (that's why I have a .038 on the G but a .134 on the B ).

Alex

Edited by alexclaber

I've measured 2.5mm, 4mm and 4.5mm - I would say that's high.

But you see I use a man's bass (63 Precision), through a man's rig (G-K 1001 + 2x15) with man strings (La Bella flatwound 52 - 110) so it's not surprising that I end up with a lot of man action (Oh dear a double entendre on the Basschat forum, surely not?)

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='570127' date='Aug 15 2009, 06:50 PM']I use a man's bass (63 Precision), through a man's rig (G-K 1001 + 2x15) with man strings (La Bella flatwound 52 - 110)[/quote]

I like your old-school approach Doc... Mr Jamerson would be proud! :)

I've probably done it wrong but hey...

Squier VMJ - D'Addario Prosteels 40-95

3rd = 0.4mm
12th = 0.7mm
17th = 1mm

Low.

Ken Smith - DR Sunbeams 45-100

3rd = 0.5mm
12th = 0.8mm
17th = 1.1mm

Low.

Both are tuned down a full step also.

*Thanks Protium :) .

Edited by Josh

'82 Tokai Hardpuncher (Webstrings flats 50-110)
2.5, 4, 4.5 - another bass with 'man action'! :)
er medium(?)

'81 Ibanez Blazer (Elites Nickels 45-105)
1.5, 3, 4
Low

60's Commodore semi (32" scale d'Addario Chromes 45-100)
2, 3.5, 4
Low

Edited by nick

Haven't got feeler gauges so very approximate but I'd say as follows:

Sei Melt 4 - just under 1mm, 1.4, 1.5-6 ish. Rotos 40-95 standard tuning. Low.

Sei 5 Flamboyant; approx the same, not sure what strings (haven't changed them since I got it; I suspect they're La Bella nickel, 40-100 - and a B of course!). Low.

Rick 4001; 1mm, 2mm, 2.5mm, currently tuned to E flat, although normally to E, 40-95 Rotos. Medium-low.

Measured with a steel ruler....

Squier VM Jazz Elixir Nanowebs 45-105 in standard tuning

2mm 3mm 3mm

Cort Curbow 6 string with Nanowebs 30-130 in standard tuning

2mm 3mm 3.5mm

I think of it as medium but one of my students, who has a practically on the fretboard action, says high :-) I basically set it so that there is little or no buzz or clank unless I want it.

Cheers
Alun

Wow - interesting thread.

Mine's an OLP MM22 (the Ray4 HH clone) with Regular Slinky strings on (0.050-0.105?)- which measures at 1.2mm @ 3, 1.9mm @ 12 and 2.3mm @ 17 on the E

I'd always thought of it as having quite a high action. I've set it up as low as I could get it without any buzz (truss rod and saddle height adjustment only), but assumed that until I got a proper luthier to level the frets that I wouldn't be able to get anything that would be considered "low"..... but judging by others' results, it looks like I'm probably a bit lower than average anyway.

I can feel my Status neck related GAS easing off rather nicely now...... :)

From the two that are out at the moment... (I look forward to measuring the Vigier and Status!)

Warwick Infinity SN4 45,65,80,100 Elixirs tuned EADG

2.5mm @3rd
3mm @12th
3.25mm @17th I'd consider this relatively high. Looks like I ought to stick an Allen key in that Just-a-nut!

Ibanez SRX700 (neck-through) 45,65,80,100 DR FatBeams tuned EADG

1.25mm @3rd
1.75mm @12th
2 mm @17th This is as low as it'll go. There's some fret noise and a good deal of clatter, but this particular bass sounds good that way- Fast, Raw and Aggressive. I'd class it as low. Certainly low for such a slender neck!!

[quote name='Clarky' post='570656' date='Aug 16 2009, 02:19 PM']but would probably be 2, 3 and 3.5 without Warwickhunt and Gwilym!!!![/quote]

:rolleyes: Probably true... though after reading this thread I have stopped fettling the Zon and Sadowsky; time to sort out these uber high action Warwicks. :)

OK, just for some contrast, my double bass (late 19th century no-name flatback) is

4mm, 8.5mm and 8.5mm

at the 3rd, 12th and 17th fret equivalent positions. The strings are Thomastik spirocore mittels, which are fairly high tension with a spiral steel core and flat outer winding. At the end of the fingerboard the heights are 6.5mm on the G, to just under 9mm on the E. I think this is just a little on the high side of medium for steels, but not full-on high by (jazz) double bass standards. Players with gut strings will often go a bit higher...

Edited by Beer of the Bass

dunno how some of you guys play with such low action, i cant play a bass without really digging in :)

Vintage icon v4, 45-105 standard tuning

1mm 3mm 3mm

Medium i would say, although my technique doesn't really accommodate for any lower

Edited by Kev