Why become a member? ×

Goodbye for a While

Marcus

Chaps.......

When John collects my Bass & Rig tomorrow I will be without a Bass for the first time in a very long time.....

I've decided to take a year off Bass entirely and come back afresh, i'm simply a bit bored with where I am with the instrument and need a break to get some passion again. I need to re-invent myself as a Bass Player !

I've got my custom bass for my 40th (Sept 2010) in progress now and i'm looking forward to the build process and getting every detail as I want it.

Over the time Basschat (& other incarnations of this site) has been going I have bought and sold a fair amount of gear and met loads of smashing people who I consider friends..... Thanks to everyone on here..... Ped, Kiwi & the Mods especially for keeping this site on the go for us all.

All The Best Guys

Mark

Hope it all goes well for you Mark!

It's quite a courageous thing to do IMO, so I hope that you get out of it what you want and it brings you back to bass playing in a year or so totally revitalised..

Look forward to seeing you back on Basschat next year :)

[quote name='chris_b' post='557286' date='Jul 31 2009, 05:11 PM']A year off? That's enough time to learn piano![/quote]

You could just have the week-end off and learn drums! :)

Take care, and put a shortcut on your desktop that takes you directly to the for sale forums - you know it makes sense!

So where the hell am I supposed to get my top end basses from now mate :)

All the best Mark, really hope you stick your nose in here from time to time as it wouldn't be the same place without you mate. Hope the 40th bass is everything you're hoping for, looking forward to welcoming you back in your 41st year.

Chris

Enjoy your break. It won't do you any harm and it'll in all probability refocus your view on bass playing, the world etc etc and you'll emerge from it all refreshed. I took several years out when I was your age and I'm sure I came out a bit more rounded. There's a saying that goes 'What do they know of cricket who only cricket know?' Think about it and apply it to bass playing - or any other interest, really.

I somehow think, you'll start regreting it after about a month or so.. :)

Last time I've 'left' my bass (holidays and stuff..), I gave [i]things[/i]up and came back 'to it' after about 5 or 7 days, can't remember properly now. It was a real nightmare.

But, then again, there wasn't enough time (2 proper years of playin') for me to become tired of that bass..

In the end, wishing you all the best!
Faith.

Edited by Faithless

[quote name='Marcus' post='557056' date='Jul 31 2009, 01:00 PM']I've decided to take a year off Bass entirely and come back afresh, i'm simply a bit bored with where I am with the instrument and need a break to get some passion again.[/quote]

Good luck, but in the past when I've had no bass I've had times when I missed it a lot. Other times when I've felt like I need a break I found two or three weeks has been enough.

Don't be too surprised if you end up impulse-buying something in the mean time. :)

Hey Mark, I've been enjoying the turntable you sold me and I've got good memories of our evening together. I hope you won't be out in the cold too long but I understand the need to take a step back and put things in perspective. Hope we'll see you back here soon matey. :)