Why become a member? ×

Well I'm outta here...

KevB

Went to rehearsal last night with a new project I've been involved with for a few months after a past band mate (guitar) asked me along. The guy behind it (guitar/vox) turns up and says he'd like a meeting before we get started. Well you know when you get one of those 'Uh-Oh' moments? Now this guy has been pulling me and the guitarist mate up on some of the most trivial things pretty much every session and I've tried to accomodate wherever possible. Of the 16 songs we've been working up to date I *once* commented that I thought *one* of them was being played a bit too quick and it didn't do the song any favours. Apparently this means I have been 'constantly moaning' and have 'an attitude'. He then started grilling me on previous bands I'd been in (never asked at any of the previous sessions to date). questioned my commitment (I'm between cars for a short time and took 2 buses and a tram just to get to the session) and rounded it off by saying he thought the bass sound was 'muddy' (oddly no one has ever used this adjective in any of the previous bands I've been in, I actually go for a bit of an upper range 'edge' to my tone if anything). Packed up my gear, wished them all the best and walked. Sorry to use the forum for a spleen venting session but thought some of you might find it amusing. At times I was trying to keep a straight face myself hearing some of the guff coming out...back to the want ads when I get my new car sorted out

[quote name='KevB' post='546112' date='Jul 21 2009, 10:35 AM']Of the 16 songs we've been working up to date I *once* commented that I thought *one* of them was being played a bit too quick and it didn't do the song any favours. Apparently this means I have been 'constantly moaning' and have 'an attitude'.[/quote]
Well, maybe not the attitude bit (which I'm sure you wouldn't have) but I'd love to have someone in a band who thinks that the song can be improved by doing this or that. I mean, an amazing example is a band called the 'diverse city band' who I saw live a few years back, and they were simply amazing! I'd got all their studio stuff (including remixes) and they did every song different, but amazingly brilliant at the same time when they did it live. They then did a live album (a few tracks are on the myspace - [url="http://www.myspace.com/tobymac"]http://www.myspace.com/tobymac[/url] )

EDIT

i stand corrected. there are no live tracks up there, oh well, they're a great band - the remixes are... intresting. Try youtubing them is the best thing probably.

Edited by iamapirate

[quote name='silddx' post='546145' date='Jul 21 2009, 10:52 AM']Sounds like a bit of a tit.[/quote]
I disagree entirely.

He sounds like a [i]complete[/i] tit. You're definitely better off out of that dictatorship Kev. Hope you find something more democratic :)

i started learning bass in january and im now in a band, the other members have been gigging/playing for well over 20 years and they've always encouraged me to contribute and supportive in my bass education.

the guitarist/singer though as silddx says what a tit

Thanks for the responses guys. I think in his day he was a well respected player in the area but he's not gigged seriously for 12 years and I came to live work late in life so our paths have never crossed. He's played more gigs than I'll ever do in my life so I've tried to show the respect due but I can only assume his social skills have got a bit blunted during his lay-off. Weird thing was he then started going on about some of the new songs he had in mind not really needing another guitar and doing a trio with a bass player and drummer and there's my mate the guitarist who he's taken on in the first place as a second guitarist/b vox standing right in front of him. I think it was at that point I started putting my bass back in the case...

[quote name='KevB' post='546329' date='Jul 21 2009, 12:48 PM']I think [b]in his day [/b]he was a well respected player in the area but he's not gigged seriously for 12 years[/quote]

There's his problem right there...

Edited by WHUFC BASS

Yeh - I've been there. A couple of - what you thought where - constructive comments and the "band leader" takes a big huff.

Remember, he's got a crap job with a bullying boss, his parents wished he'd been a girl, his girlfriend treats him like crap and the dog sh*ts in his shoes. Having a go at you is the only little bit of power he (thinks) he has and even that didn't work.

Totally the right thing to do. I have left bands/getting bands together sitiuations due to similar experiances. This aint my living, it`s a hobby I do cause I enjoy doing it. When it becomes too much grief, I walk away.
It has taken a while but the guys I play with now all get along great and although we aint the best bunch of musicians, we enjoy it and people seem to like us. (No accounting for taste!!).

Jez

[quote name='KevB' post='546329' date='Jul 21 2009, 12:48 PM']Weird thing was he then started going on about some of the new songs he had in mind not really needing another guitar and doing a trio with a bass player and drummer and there's my mate the guitarist who he's taken on in the first place as a second guitarist/b vox standing right in front of him.[/quote]

I think a swift chat with your mate might be in order. Then all you need is a drummer and maybe a vocalist ...

You'll find it easier to find another band than they will to find a capable bassist. Good luck.

I always thought that making constructive comments during rehearsal was all part of rehearsing. Nothing worse than a band mate like this daft guy. You've definitely done the right thing. All the best for the next band!