Why become a member? ×

warwick thread

budget bassist

• 1 month later...

quick update, ive had a major change arround of basses over the last few months, many have come and gone! however this new one arrived the other day courtesy of ebay!!! its a '96 warwick fortress masterman, flamed maple neck rosewood board - which i was surprised about as i thought they all had the ovangkol/wenge necks like my fortress one! that aside its really nice plays lovely and sounds nice too!!!! heres a pic paired with my fortress one...

[attachment=49772:DSCF6900.JPG]

I've sold my 75 Jazz so now I am thinking about getting a Streamer $$ or LX. I like the idea of an LX but its too expensive new and very unlikley I will find a second hand one in natural Ash. The other option is the Streamer $$ but again quite pricey new and again unlikley to find a second hand one in natural ash. I'm also a bit worried the $$ will make it sound too similar to my stingray considering it has the same pickups.

[quote name='Linus27' post='837764' date='May 15 2010, 12:03 AM']I've sold my 75 Jazz so now I am thinking about getting a Streamer $$ or LX. I like the idea of an LX but its too expensive new and very unlikley I will find a second hand one in natural Ash. The other option is the Streamer $$ but again quite pricey new and again unlikley to find a second hand one in natural ash. I'm also a bit worried the $$ will make it sound too similar to my stingray considering it has the same pickups.[/quote]

I can chime in a little. I really wanted to like the ex demo Streamer 5 $$ I had for about 3 days but I just didn't gel with the neck, and more so first fret position. If you already know you like that, you might like the $$ as it sounds very different to the Stingray. Totally different tone to me. Hopefully this helps.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='837793' date='May 15 2010, 12:37 AM']I can chime in a little. I really wanted to like the ex demo Streamer 5 $$ I had for about 3 days but I just didn't gel with the neck, and more so first fret position. If you already know you like that, you might like the $$ as it sounds very different to the Stingray. Totally different tone to me. Hopefully this helps.[/quote]

Hey Gareth, yeah thats a great help. My Corvette has a super thin neck. It did take me a few month to get used to the longer neck and the first fret position but now its fine. So how would you descibe the sound if nothing like a Stingray? Tight, punchy, clean, smooth. Would be really interested to hear your thoughts.

[quote name='Linus27' post='837764' date='May 15 2010, 12:03 AM']I've sold my 75 Jazz so now I am thinking about getting a Streamer $$ or LX. I like the idea of an LX but its too expensive new and very unlikley I will find a second hand one in natural Ash. The other option is the Streamer $$ but again quite pricey new and again unlikley to find a second hand one in natural ash. I'm also a bit worried the $$ will make it sound too similar to my stingray considering it has the same pickups.[/quote]
I sold my stingray HH in favour of my streamer $$ for two reasons, tone and playability. The $$ sounds nothing like a ray! If anything, a ray sounds very tame in comparison. The $$ just has a more aggressive sound and from what i can tell, a lot more natural mids. Plus, i just found everything about the ray uncomfortable, the neck, the size of the body etc, i just feel totally at home on my $$, like an old pair of slippers!

In fact, i'll drop you a PM.

Edited by budget bassist

[quote name='Linus27' post='837803' date='May 15 2010, 12:52 AM']Hey Gareth, yeah thats a great help. My Corvette has a super thin neck. It did take me a few month to get used to the longer neck and the first fret position but now its fine. So how would you descibe the sound if nothing like a Stingray? Tight, punchy, clean, smooth. Would be really interested to hear your thoughts.[/quote]

I think I came to the conclusion I'm a EBMM fanboy, so I'm biased towards them. The $$ is definitely Warwick...it growls and has the signature mids. Quite smooth overall. The pre amp was something I couldn't get used to but that's me. The Ray H is exactly that...classic Ray aggression, bitey mids, cutting high n thuddy lows.

The $$ will give you a lot more options over a single H Ray by far.

I quite liked the whole Warwick package, but jumping to a 5er with a totally different neck and a shape I wasn't used to was perhaps too much of a jump for me.

I think if you already like Warwick, the $$ gives you a lot of options. Maybe if you like the more classic tones another Warwick with single coils might be the key.

• 7 months later...

[quote name='bigthumb' post='1075802' date='Jan 2 2011, 09:54 PM']Ex Warwickhunt stable![/quote]

How many times will I be required to see that statement before I stop selling basses? :)

[quote name='bigthumb' post='1075802' date='Jan 2 2011, 09:54 PM']Would still kill for his fretless![/quote]

No need to kill... there are other ways to acquire it's twin... DOH! what have I just said! :)