Why become a member? ×

Musicianship on another level

Posted (edited)

Hmm mi dispiace but this type of lounge jazz-soul passes me by and the vocals are a bit meh. I watched all the way through but couldn't remember a single melody a few minutes after. Some good bassface from Mohini Dey though

Edited by Barking Spiders
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

Well that's a change for the last disgrace of a song I heard her on. Emo Girl by Machine Gun Kelly. Look it up, it's as far from this as it gets.

Well I never listened to anything by her. This is the first I saw and tough that as band they were great. Im scared to have a listen to that track 🤣

2 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

Hmm mi dispiace but this type of lounge jazz-soul passes me by and the vocals are a bit meh. I watched all the way through but couldn't remember a single melody a few minutes after. Some good bassface from Mohini Dey though

Yeah I know is not everyone cup of tea . I was appreciating the band and skills as overall

6 hours ago, fiatcoupe432 said:

Just watched this and was blown away by the chemistry and the talent in this s band . Willow is Will smith daughter , mohini dei on bass 🤯🤯🤯🤯

Not at all what I was expecting.

I've not heard a lot of her work but a couple of years ago she did this, which I rather like.

Kind of more of a straight up pop song.

This was the song I'd previously heard her on. Just disgraceful. Like they tried to create the most stereotypical pop punk song with the worst lyrics. I've no idea why Travis Barker agreed to play on it.

23 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

This was the song I'd previously heard her on. Just disgraceful. Like they tried to create the most stereotypical pop punk song with the worst lyrics. I've no idea why Travis Barker agreed to play on it.

This came out two years ago but sounds like all that 5th hand punk pop dreck on heavy MTV rotation in the 90s. Derivative of the derivative. Feeble.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, fiatcoupe432 said:

Just watched this and was blown away by the chemistry and the talent in this s band . Willow is Will smith daughter , mohini dei on bass 🤯🤯🤯🤯

Enjoyed that, especially the last number.

Mohini Dey and the Pocket Queen is one hell of a rhythm section 🙂

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

This was already dated when Blink 182 and Avril Lavigne were doing the same exact song 20 years ago...

Posted (edited)

I was very positively surprised and actually really liked it (the Tiny Desk Concert video linked to in the OP that is).

A lot even.

I was expecting cold Fusion w**ker bass and contrived vocals that would sound like someone being tortured into an orgasm, overplayed and fake, but this is actually pretty damn awesome, and genuinely emotional.

And I for one love the vocals as well, they sound authentic and genuine, and fits the instrumental part of the songs perfectly, not the bloated fake Soul groaning I was expecting. 

This is real music!

Thanks! :i-m_so_happy:

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, edstraker123 said:

A lot of talent to produce something very dull. Although I feel the same about Taylor Swift and Ed Sheeran and the whole world seems to disagree with me.

This is nothing like Taylor Swift or Ed Sheeran, this is real music!

And soft, yes, but not dull.

The musicianship is razor edge sharp, but not in a cold calculated way.

Authentic and genuine, felt, real music!

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

To me it stands out, and is real musicians making real music, musically enjoying what they do  -  from composition all the way to desk gig.
Me, I love the interplay between all the instruments, which is done very cunningly. Her voice is adequate enough to me too.
Some Des'ree and other vibes are very welcome in my ears.

Did I mention I lurve this?
Bought "empathogen", which seemingly came out today, and must seek out their earlier stuff.

Now, that MGK song OTOH ...
Shudder.

Edited by BassTractor
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

this is real music!

1 hour ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

This is real music!

Bah!
You just knew I was gonna write that, and copied me avant-mes-lettres. 😁

• Like 1