Why become a member? ×

The bass model design that You hate with passion.

2 hours ago, edstraker123 said:

Any with artificial ageing - the stupidest concept ever IMHO.

Good call, I forgot about those. Not a full-blown hate, but a hefty dislike. But it quickly turns to hate if it's ageing on guitar and bass models that haven't even been on the market for long enough for their oldest models to look as distressed as they do. 

• Like 2

I struggle with Gibson Thunderbirds. I think they are the best looking basses in the world but I can’t cope with the shape/size/playing position etc. 

I don’t hate them at all.

I’m just gutted they don’t fit me, and the mismatch between my body and a T bird mean I couldn’t even consider buying one. 

• Like 2

Headstocks are truly awful things. Make a bass unbalanced, add a load of unnecessary weight, make it less convenient to tune, all for the sake of putting an advertising hoarding at the end of the neck. I feel that headstock addicts are to be pitied rather than raged at, poor creatures, clinging on desperately to those awful relics of the past. It isn't as if they can even agree on what is a good shape for a headstock, they argue about them endlessly, which shape will satisfy their terrible craving, which shape repels them utterly. And then trying to repair the damage done to the instrument's balance by paying hundreds of pounds for super-light tuners.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, tauzero said:

Headstocks are truly awful things. Make a bass unbalanced, add a load of unnecessary weight, make it less convenient to tune, all for the sake of putting an advertising hoarding at the end of the neck. I feel that headstock addicts are to be pitied rather than raged at, poor creatures, clinging on desperately to those awful relics of the past. It isn't as if they can even agree on what is a good shape for a headstock, they argue about them endlessly, which shape will satisfy their terrible craving, which shape repels them utterly. And then trying to repair the damage done to the instrument's balance by paying hundreds of pounds for super-light tuners.

Neck dive was invented by lightweight tuner manufacturers...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Neck dive was invented by lightweight tuner manufacturers...

On a similar vein I’ve always thought that Febreeze must have been invented by the tobacco companies…..

27 minutes ago, tauzero said:

Mainly when we see a bass - we evaluate 3 things - the body shape and it's finish, the neck, which looks all the same, exept if it's painted with great drakon or snake and headstock. No need to say that headstocks are no more wanted and the smaller the body is, the weight of the bass lowers. I think we all choose what we like or dislike individually. This thread is for those who want to publish the bass models they hate or dislike for their design. Some one could quote - yes i don't like it too. Someone will say that this is the model he loves most. This thread is all freedom full. Please, just respect all opinions and try to write more individually. Thanks.:thank_you:

Jazz basses. Nasty, horrible things. It looks like something that was left near an open fire for too long and melted. The headstock looks ridiculously big next to such a narrow neck. Oh and those thin, weedy pickups look and sound like crap too. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bleat said:

Jazz basses. Nasty, horrible things. It looks like something that was left near an open fire for too long and melted. The headstock looks ridiculously big next to such a narrow neck. Oh and those thin, weedy pickups look and sound like crap too. 

And what would You say about precision basses?

1 minute ago, nilorius said:

And what would You say about precision basses?

Great pickup, but utterly tedious and boring to look at though nicer than a Jazz bass. I find them completely uninspiring to play. Every P bass I have had sat on the stand more than sat in my hands. The only exception was a Roger Waters sig that was actually pretty awesome.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bleat said:

Great pickup, but utterly tedious and boring to look at though nicer than a Jazz bass. I find them completely uninspiring to play. Every P bass I have had sat on the stand more than sat in my hands. The only exception was a Roger Waters sig that was actually pretty awesome.

I like jazz much more than p. P it's pickups just look too boring for me. What ever - there are 1000 who loves both.

1 hour ago, nilorius said:

Mainly when we see a bass - we evaluate 3 things - the body shape and it's finish, the neck, which looks all the same, exept if it's painted with great drakon or snake and headstock. No need to say that headstocks are no more wanted and the smaller the body is, the weight of the bass lowers. I think we all choose what we like or dislike individually. This thread is for those who want to publish the bass models they hate or dislike for their design. Some one could quote - yes i don't like it too. Someone will say that this is the model he loves most. This thread is all freedom full. Please, just respect all opinions and try to write more individually. Thanks.:thank_you:

Necks doesn't all look the same though, especially not if that includes the fretboard.

Also stuff like pickguards, pickups and knobs influence on the looks of a bass as well. 

Finally by design I don't think that necessarily has to mean visual design exclusively in specifics.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

2 hours ago, nilorius said:

Why aren't you respecting my opinion?

I don't hate them, but for the life of me I just don't get the Flying-V shape.

This might sound odd coming from a POV of someone that really likes Thunderbirds, but the Flying-V I just can't get my head around.

I have zero time for this shape of bass/guitar. My mate has a guitar and just … nope. I simply can't be having it.

It's like there's this disconnect in my head that whenever I see one I just have to roll my eyes and give a little shake of my head. 😂

Mark

When I started playing, I was very much a traditionalist (Fenders, Gibsons, Rickenbackers etc) and was probably a bit sniffy about headless designs and anything that was more modern that a Musicman. However, getting older I have learnt to appreciate most basses. Playing different styles over the years, I have seen players with basses that I personally wouldn't wish to own, sounding great and looking good. I remember turning my nose up at basses I have subsequently owned and enjoyed. 

As a now multi-instrumentalist, I have a bigger issue with guitarists who play bass and make apologies or joke about being demoted. No issue with guitarists playing bass but do your thing and enjoy it, however that looks sounds and do it unapologetically. 

• Like 2

On 15/04/2024 at 10:36, casapete said:

As is often the case in these discussions, I’ll get the elephant in the room out of the way before 

anyone else chips in. I love this design, beauty is in the eye of the beholder etc….

IMG_0277.jpeg

You would never ever get me up on a stage with this pile of cack in my hands.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 15/04/2024 at 11:36, casapete said:

As is often the case in these discussions, I’ll get the elephant in the room out of the way before 

anyone else chips in. I love this design, beauty is in the eye of the beholder etc….

IMG_0277.jpeg

Love how these basses look, though not that particular finish, but a black one is a beauty, and it sounds great as well.

I still regret being stupid enough to sell the Jerry Jones Neptune Longhorn Bass I once owned, which was sort of a high end boutique clone of the Danelectro one, that unfortunately is not made anymore.

Easily the best bass I ever owned.

Was such a joy to play, and sounded amazing as well.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Love how these basses look, though not that particular finish, but a black one is a beauty, and it sounds amazing too.

I still regret being stupid enough to sell the Jerry Jones Neptune Longhorn Bass I once owned, which was sort of a high end boutique clone of the Danelectro one.

Probably the best bass I ever owned.

Was such a joy to play, and as said sounded amazing as well.

I missed out on a Jerry Jones Longhorn a few years ago, big mistake. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteveXFR said:

Single cut Foderas. They are incredibly ugly and don't sound too special but at least they're incredibly expensive. 

You really had a chance to check out Yourself how Fodera single cut feels and sounds ? If it's true - You are a god damned luckey guy. I only saw them once in my nightmare, where Felix Pastorius played at London stadium Donna Lee solo !!!😜