Why become a member? ×

Time of the Fivers?

Love those two Overwater Originals, @BigRedX! Wish I was there when you decided to sell them.

Four or five, well it took some time to get used to 5, but now it does not matter. These are my main basses at the moment.

20220721_180812.thumb.jpg.5b5614d20b75f1b8cd3a1e84c8bac87f.jpg

• Like 1

I play both. Last week, I played through the set list with both. I’m faster on the 4 but overall, it’s more fluid on the 5. I’m going to switch around for a bit. When I’m reading, the five will always be my go to.

• 3 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, Johannes said:

Only 5 strings for me. For what reason would a 4- stringer be better?

Only if one is worried about weight I guess (I'm not).

I like a fiver because of the low D, mainly as a low minor 7th when playing in E.

On 24/03/2024 at 21:28, lozkerr said:

That's pretty much what I do. Out of interest, I've just been through the songs in both my bands' current repertoires and found that only two need notes below low E - Song 2 needs low E flat and She Sells Sanctuary needs low D.

But there are a lot more that I do use five-string fingering so I can stay pretty much in one place. It works out like this:

Total songs: 62

Need notes below low E: 2

I use five-string fingering without dipping below low E: 39

Songs all in the higher registers or five-string fingering more difficult: 21

I really like having the flexibility and being able to stay in one place helps when I'm concentrating on singing.

Absolutely this - nail on head. I’ve played fivers only for at least 23 years if not more. With my main band there’s a lot of call for low B, C and D and with the other band there’s a LOT that’s easier to finger and sing harmonies over if I’m rooted around the fifth fret. For me too, that’s the main appeal. Nice analysis @lozkerr !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To add: with my main band, there’s two guitars and piano/organ/synth (you won’t know him, but he’s called Kevan and he’s a devastating keys player) so when it’s solo time for the lads I tend to drop below E when the key permits. Doubling Kev’s keyboard bari stabs on Mustang Sally with the low C. If you’re doing Brass in Pocket and Summer of 69 properly you need the low D. If you play any modern Country from the last 20 years there’s a good chance it’s a fiver. Etc. I love 5!

I just recently converted to playing my 5 string Ibanez GSRM25 Mikro Bass as my main instrument of choice, from my 4 string Mikro Bass, though having a just 28.6" scale length I have it tuned to G standard tuning, that is 3 half steps above the upper 5 strings of a 6 string bass in regular B standard tuning.

So really closer to a baritone guitar tuning wise, but with only 5 strings, wider string spacing (16.5mm), and tonally really sounding more like an actual bass.

I do however play it as you could perhaps imagine one would a hybrid between a bass and a baritone guitar.

My point though being that, while I struggled a bit adjusting to it at first, eventually I actually really felt it a relief having that broader range on the fretboard vertically, and it really seems to make a lot of sense that you basically have 3 octaves within hand/finger reach, and gives a lot of freedom.

Here it is, named "Mr. Growley - The Noodlemancer", by the way :

image.thumb.png.02a8acf5e67450734af3246eafeaecd7.png

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

I just recently converted to playing my 5 string Ibanez GSRM25 Mikro Bass as my main instrument of choice, from my 4 string Mikro Bass, though having a just 28.6" scale length I have it tuned to G standard tuning, that is 3 half steps above the upper 5 strings of a 6 string bass in regular B standard tuning.

So really closer to a baritone guitar tuning wise, but with only 5 strings, wider string spacing (16.5mm), and tonally really sounding more like an actual bass.

I do however play it as you could maybe one imagine would a hybrid between a bass and a baritone guitar.

My point though being that, while I struggled a bit adjusting to it at first, eventually I actually really felt it a relief having that broader range on the fretboard vertically, and it really seems to make a lot of sense that you basically have 3 octaves within hand/finger reach, and gives a lot of freedom.

Here it is, named "Mr. Growley - The Noodlemancer", by the way :

image.thumb.png.02a8acf5e67450734af3246eafeaecd7.png

That’s really cool! That tuning with my bands would force me on to all sorts of dusty, untraveled parts of the neck!

I properly stumbled across 5 strings back in 2004 ish , in a strange Gas incident .

I obviously knew all about them , and saw the various special editions in Bass Player Magazine etc explaining everything about them in a very informative way . .

What happened was that a close friend of mine said we should checkout this new basement  shop under Virgin Records in Tottenham Court Road one Saturday .  ( sound control ) It was there I saw this nice shiny bass hanging on the wall . Times were not too sad then , so I plugged in and had a look at it . " Are you going to buy this ?" I was asked by a senior member of staff. I got a price reduction , so I said yes. 
It was a Schecter Stilletto Elite 5 string in cherry / black . Looked similar to my Washburn status in colour .

In the shop , due to my limited abilities I was playing the B note as a thumb rest . 

Within weeks however, I ' got it ' , and it was no big deal . I could find songs by ear without as much effort as on a 4 for some sings.

The feel and action of the Schecter was great . ( BTW you don't really see any bad reviews or experiences on that particular model) 

However, being in 2 bands and having to up my playing so to speak ( and financial difficulties) I had to let it go . 
My playing in cover bands improved , and I had to up my game if I wanted to gig etc. 

The trouble with playing live for me was I tended to ' showboat ' as I was told by an old band member . Not being arrogant , but because of nerves on stage and I wanted people ( and me ) to enjoy our set . Thankfully I never got criticised by crowd or bands. 
I couldn't do that on a 5 string , as too many Les Dawson moments would have got me sacked . 😬

I don't gig anymore and am more into synths / amateur soundcloud recording etc. I have a Bass Whammy, and have a fretless set to B-E-A-D . I don't know if it's worth me getting another 5 er or not . If I did, I'd have to trim the herd. 
one of my friends who's a bass player, said it's easier to sell a 4 string and that if you have a 5 I'd have a hard chance selling it should I want to in the future . 

This is Basschat though 🤔

Edited by RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE

13 hours ago, Johannes said:

Only 5 strings for me. For what reason would a 4- stringer be better?

I occasionally play both, I wouldn’t say either is better as such, it’s just a personal preference , i like vintage fenders so it’s 4 for me