Why become a member? ×

Any Favourite Whacky Songs/Instrumentals?

I've long had a penchant for whacky songs or instrumentals: Tunes that have a strong element of humour and absurdity in their arrangements.

A few months ago I was reminded of a wonderful (IMV) track by a band called Esperanto that I had seen in the 70s. They played an old tune called Danse Macabre, and gave it a 70s prog style arrangement.

If you have any similarly "whacky" tracks, It would be great to hear them, so I can maybe add them to my playlist😉

• Like 1

AFAICS, Esperanto were one of many bands trying to cash in on the success of Ekseption. Other bands included Exception and Expression. All used the same or similar typeface in the bands' names.
Now, Ekseption themselves copied The Nice, so I'm not claiming they were the original.

Here's one also done by Ekseption: the Sabre Dance in the Love Sculpture version.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bass_dinger said:

I am big fan of "back covers" - take a song, and cover it in a style that predates the original song.

Here, Gloria Jones Tainted Love in the style of Django Reinhardt.

Is that what you are looking for? 

Not quite what I'm looking for, but interesting nonetheless😉 Thanks.

58 minutes ago, Delberthot said:

First time I heard this I actually laughed. It's such a fun song and the playing is incredible

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Z9qpQRMSR1M&pp=ygUPc2x1dGUgdG8ga2FyZWVt

I think that can safely be described as "whacky"🤪 I used to be a bit of a Chilli Peppers fan but haven't heard that before.

57 minutes ago, BassTractor said:

AFAICS, Esperanto were one of many bands trying to cash in on the success of Ekseption. Other bands included Exception and Expression. All used the same or similar typeface in the bands' names.
Now, Ekseption themselves copied The Nice, so I'm not claiming they were the original.

Here's one also done by Ekseption: the Sabre Dance in the Love Sculpture version.

Love Sculpture's Sabre Dance came out when i was in my early teens and learning guitar. I bought the record and managed to learn a lot of it... to a standard typical of a 13 year old wannabe😂 I probably still have it somewhere.

23 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Currently re-watching "Over The Garden Wall"

This is an earworm:

Thanks, but not sure that will be making its way onto my playlist... just yet😉

If you interpret 'whacky' as a euphemism for 'cheesy crap', I can play. In one one band, when we ended with our cheesy Johnny B. Goode (yes, really. Sorry...) we'd slide it into the Batman TV theme, usually to the delight of drunken pub-goers. 

Seemed like a good idea at the time...

• Like 2

This whole album, but especially "Echidna's Arf (Of You)/Don't You Ever Wash That Thing", followed by "Cheepnis".

There's also 120+ other albums by Frank that are full of whacky excellence 😁

1 hour ago, SteveK said:

Thanks, but not sure that will be making its way onto my playlist... just yet😉

It's on our car play list. It only comes on rarely but we sing along when it does. I mean who doesn't like Potatoes and Molasses?

33 minutes ago, Graham56 said:

If you interpret 'whacky' as a euphemism for 'cheesy crap',

That wasn't my intended interpretation😕 However, threads such as this run a course of their own😂

I was thinking thinking more along the lines of something that was a little odd and zany (I hate that word😂), something a bit "out there", but maintains a level of musical integrity... question is... what "level"😂

Keep 'em coming though 😉

For the BC youngsters, here's another (what I consider) "whacky" one from my teenage years...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, miles'tone said:

This whole album, but especially "Echidna's Arf (Of You)/Don't You Ever Wash That Thing", followed by "Cheepnis".

There's also 120+ other albums by Frank that are full of whacky excellence 😁

I did think of Frank, but thought it wouldn't be too long before someone mentioned him🙂

Incidentally, my band mate (guitarist) played bass with Zappa in the mid 70s, for one show in the US, when his regular bass player busted his hand😬

• Thanks 1

Ha! I was thinking of posting Hocus Pocus.
Here's another one then, by one of my fave bands, bob hund from Sweden, and one that grew on me despite its minimal expression.
The mentioning of Batman brought me here. I guess you know how.
BTW, its title means "bob hund's 115th dream" in English.

34 minutes ago, SteveK said:

I did think of Frank, but thought it wouldn't be too long before someone mentioned him🙂

Incidentally, my band mate (guitarist) played bass with Zappa in the mid 70s, for one show in the US, when his regular bass player busted his hand😬

You must have some real players in your band. That's very cool!

It was Tom Fowler who broke his hand. He's the bass player on the live "Roxy..." album I posted above.

Listen to it and imagine your mate depping with that band for a night 😂 He must be a great reader! 

Thanks,

Si