Why become a member? ×

Brush with Greatness (or, "Hey, I once played a gig with him!")

we played a pub gig many moons ago in Chester and the landlord asked if his mate Paul could join us for a song , it was Paul Reynolds from flock of seagulls , our guitarist was mightily unimpressed with the thraping his 12 string acoustic received on a loud version of Dakota 😂

Edited by lurksalot
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 13/03/2024 at 18:01, StingRayBoy42 said:

I played the Sousaphone on an episode of Lucy Worsley's history thing on the telly, the one about the Peterloo massacre.

She's lovely - really friendly and down to earth.

you reminded me of this:

image.png.dc8947fc28714f5d1fb9944745d83d42.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Talking of TV appearances, I managed to get 2 tracks from our home-recorded demo on the telly. One was background on a John Craven's Newsround piece about raves (!) and the other was on Crimewatch as the music playing at a party while someone got murdered. Fame!!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

I've been a TV a few times. The first was a music show that Garry Crowley presented. He interviewed us and then we played a few live tracks. Be kind, its 27 years ago and we had no idea but we got signed after this TV show.

A lot of our music also got features of extreme sports shows on Eurosport etc. for stuff like snowboarding, water skiing etc. so they then did a special feature on us. Be kind, this was 26 years ago I was a little wasted on various substances.

We then had one of our tracks used in a Casio advert to advertise Casio G-Shock watches in Spanish cinema's. We got paid £500 for this and I actually wrote this track on an acoustic guitar that only had 2 strings on it whilst sitting on the landing of some ones house in Farnborough. The main part is just the bass line which is used here with the drums and feeding back guitar.

• Like 6

Met plenty of already well-known musicians, but in terms of unexpected trajectory we played with Idles in a tiny little Sheffield basement in 2016. Well Done had just been playlisted but there were as many people onstage as paying customers so we played to them, and then they played to us. They were pretty much fully-formed already and the atmosphere felt genuinely dangerous, like there was about to be a fight onstage and they weren't too fussed if it was between the band or the audience. We did an EP swap after the show and theirs is now heading for triple figures on the second hand market - ours of course is still worthless.

They kindly invited us to support at the significantly bigger (and sold out) Plug down the road when Brutalism hit and made enough of an impression that we pretty much broke up after that second show: we were getting tired of trying to push forward in aggro music and Idles were doing it so much more effectively that it solidified our need to do other things. I went into pop music and the singer went the other way into extremely hardcore electronic noise.

Didn't play with them again after that, but I still deal with them occasionally through Hiwatt work and took a bass amp down to the Ally Pally shows in 2019 - went from 10 people to 10K in three years and have only really got bigger since then. You could see they were going to do well, but I absolutely didn't have them pegged as arena headliners. In fairness I also didn't peg Snow Patrol, Kasabian, or Bring Me The Horizon when they played the 100 cap venue I worked at over the years, so perhaps I'm just not that well tuned!

Edited by borntohang
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, Linus27 said:

I've been a TV a few times. The first was a music show that Garry Crowley presented. He interviewed us and then we played a few live tracks. Be kind, its 27 years ago and we had no idea but we got signed after this TV show.

Well appropriately for this thread, I went to sixth form college with John and was good friends with Sid from Inter until I moved away from the area.

• Like 2

This may be pushing it a bit - but had the quickest of words with Toby Jones in London on Saturday. Now I know he's an actor rather than a musician. But you have to see Barbarian Sound System. 😳

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bassbiscuits said:

I one did an open mic slot in Swansea with a chap called Peter Singh, a famous local

Elvis impersonator.

That must have been awesome, were you All Shook Up about it 🤣

Edited by Linus27
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

In a degrees of separation brush with greatness, my mother is a piano teacher... Her  first teacher was the German pianist Emil von Sauer, who had been a pupil of Franz Liszt!

I think we can lock the thread now.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, rmorris said:

This may be pushing it a bit - but had the quickest of words with Toby Jones in London on Saturday. Now I know he's an actor rather than a musician. But you have to see Barbarian Sound System. 😳

I saw him in Every Good Boy Deserves Favour. He was playing an orchestra conductor, he had the moves right!

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

In a degrees of separation brush with greatness, my mother is a piano teacher... Her  first teacher was the German pianist Emil von Sauer, who had been a pupil of Franz Liszt!

When I was at college, I had a music teacher who was taught by Bela Bartok.

• Like 4

I played a function gig a few years ago for the birthday of an elderly member of the UK nobility.

After setting up the stage, I was chatting with the birthday lady who was absolutely charming

and very good company. When I got home next day I googled her, to discover her amazing past

which included spending an afternoon drinking tea with Adolf Hitler!

• Like 2

Cue a short repetition of one of my stories about composer Krzysztof Penderecki.
High-brow, silent, socially awkward man. Still, I asked whether he listened to non-classical music, mentioning jazz, Gentle Giant, Yes and Zappa as examples.

Him: "Shallow music."
Me: "Give me some credit. I'm a musical person, and love for example your stuff ..."
Him: "I am more musical than you are."
😃

Edited by BassTractor
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, badger said:

you reminded me of this:

image.png.dc8947fc28714f5d1fb9944745d83d42.png

I wonder if that did actually come from Lucy Worsley. 😆 Viz do actually print genuine letters from readers. I know someone who's had a few printed.

3 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

. . . . what band did he play in?

We had a half decent trad band in Cheltenham in the sixties. It wasn’t really our thing but it was commercial. We organised a tour of Cornwall in 63: RN Culdrose, Newlyn Fishmarket, that sort of thing. Our final gig was at the Flamingo Ballroom at Redruth. When we arrived we were met by the owner, Joy Hone, who told us that Georgie Fame was staying at her adjoining hotel recovering from sunburn. As we were setting up he came up on the stage, sat at the piano and played Dat Dere with me on bass and our alto sax player. Not many trad bands would play that. We returned the compliment by booking him and the Blue Flames into Cheltenham a few weeks later. For £50, as I recall. Happy days.

• Like 2

I was playing at a wedding in Middlesborough many years ago when who should join us on stage but ex-Whitesnake slide guitarist extraordinaire Micky Moody.  Despite being a disco tribute act, we charged through a more than decent version of "Fool for your Loving" with him, followed by a lengthy blues jam.  Tremendous fun, and he was a lovely guy too.

Bruce Foxton bought my band a round when we were playing at a pub in Guildford one time.  He sat and chatted with us for the whole of the mid-gig break: also a lovely guy.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, bassace said:

We had a half decent trad band in Cheltenham in the sixties. It wasn’t really our thing but it was commercial. We organised a tour of Cornwall in 63: RN Culdrose, Newlyn Fishmarket, that sort of thing. Our final gig was at the Flamingo Ballroom at Redruth. When we arrived we were met by the owner, Joy Hone, who told us that Georgie Fame was staying at her adjoining hotel recovering from sunburn. As we were setting up he came up on the stage, sat at the piano and played Dat Dere with me on bass and our alto sax player. Not many trad bands would play that. We returned the compliment by booking him and the Blue Flames into Cheltenham a few weeks later. For £50, as I recall. Happy days.

The Flamingo ballroom is now a Morrisons. The local nostalgia groups are very grumpy about that turn of events. 

Not sure if this is genuine, but I used to do solo acoustic guitar / vocals gigs at a city centre pub, which had double booked acts on a couple of occasions. 

This time I arrived to set up and found an older guy with a guitar also expecting to play.

We tried to establish what was going on and he proudly told me he was called “Guitar George” - as in the guy referred to in Sultans Of Swing.

Apparently he’d been working on a visiting market that day nearby, and the landlord had suggested he played.

In the end he didn’t take up my invite to both share the gig as he didn’t want to take any of my money. 

So I never found out if he indeed did know all the chords.

Edited by bassbiscuits
  • Haha 3