Why become a member? ×

Name a Genre an give me your top 3 tracks from it

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Jackroadkill said:

Stoner rock:

Bringing the "go big or go home" vibes, let's start with Kyuss and the superb Demon Cleaner.

From the sublime to the ridiculous (but fun), with Monster Magnet's Space Lord

And let's finish with the mighty Clutch, and Electric Worry.

Must listen to some more Clutch. Met them around the time of The Jam Room - such lovely people. 

Edited by Mykesbass
  • Like 1

Indie.

I'm going for the “Might not be the songs that immediately spring to mind, but we’ve played them live and they go down well” angle.

It looks like YouTube posts are de-rigeur on this thread, but the following songs are all on Spotify so I’ll be lazy and just post the band and track name:

Sea Girls: Violet

The Killers: All These Things That I’ve Done

Cake: I will survive

I like the thread.  It’s made me think about other songs that we could do in this genre.  I need to listen to The Kooks, Libertines, Fratellis and so on more than I do.

Edited by Simon C
  • Like 1

Fugue Prog!
Luckily though, these guys didn't just write another baroque fugue, but used fugal stuff inside prog contexts.
(Personally, I see fugue rock as a phenomenon to do with yer typical "young and aspiring, but bewildered composer", hence why "fugal" is a term in both music and pyschiatry 😁, but I still like it.)

2 hours ago, lowdown said:

'Southern Soft Rock Country Blues Piano Hooked Pop Music'...

:D

Isn't this what some people have bestowed the ghastly name 'Yacht Rock' to?

51 minutes ago, Mykesbass said:

Isn't this what some people have bestowed the ghastly name 'Yacht Rock' to?

I thought 'Yacht Rock' was a term relating to West Coast music between 1974 and 1984?

I'm quoting the time frame from Wiki and other sources saying early/mid 70's through to the early 80's - but that seems about right to me considering the songs that are associated with the term.

'The Way It Is' was released in 1986, so if 'some people' want to label that as 'Yacht Rock', I'm happy for them.

The other two were released later, 1991 and 2002.

37 minutes ago, lowdown said:

I thought 'Yacht Rock' was a term relating to West Coast music between 1974 and 1984?

I'm quoting the time frame from Wiki and other sources saying early/mid 70's through to the early 80's - but that seems about right to me considering the songs that are associated with the term.

'The Way It Is' was released in 1986, so if 'some people' want to label that as 'Yacht Rock', I'm happy for them.

The other two were released later, 1991 and 2002.

I didn't know there had been an actual definition of Yacht Rock - just thought it was possibly the second most horrendous name for a musical genre after Blue Eyed Soul!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, musicbassman said:

Holy sheet ! - that's a tough listen, @Leonard Smalls

I managed a minute or so of each, but then my head exploded.........😵

You did well!

When I was in student accommodation halls we had 3 shared toilets on the corridor with 6 student rooms. I put a speaker in the toilet next to my room, and we'd worked out that it was possible to lock the door from the outside. So when someone new went in there we'd secure the door, get Foetus "333" or similar ready at full volume and as soon as they'd started to ablute we'd turn the light off and whack the horrible "music" on. Nobody lasted as long as a minute before screaming for mercy!

• Haha 3

Symphonic metal. A fairly recent discovery for me, someone who doesn't really like metal - especially when it has harsh, indecipherable vocals. I could probably pick my top three bands from just using the first band, but I'll mix it up a little!

First up, is Nightwish, with Ghost Love Score. It's a little long, but stick with it until the end, interesting time signature and key changes, a really nice orchestral arrangement and their delightful vocalist Floor Jansen nailing it. It's worth watching just to hear her final note!

Next is Epica, featuring Apocalyptica, with Rivers. Not really their typical style, but a beautiful performance.

Lastly, Within Temptation. Coincidently featuring Nightwish's previous vocalist!

Have a listen, hopefully find some of you find these enjoyable!

George

• Like 1

Classic late 60's early 70's Psych Folk:

Linda Perhacs :

Syd Barrett :

Comus :

Modern 2000's Psych Folk:

Espers :

Feathers (correct title is of course "Old Black Hat With A Dandelion Flower":

Coil (not really their main genre, but I would say this particular track very much fits the Psych Folk genre tag) :

Which leads us to Neo Folk :

Current 93 :

Death in June :

Of The Wand & The Moon :

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

Renaissance-folk-rock, a niche genre mostly represented by Blackmore's Night. But there are others. Not the top three, just a selection of three:

Elflore: 

The Geyers:

Blackmore's Night: 

Edited by Rosie C
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MichaelDean said:

Post Rock:

Mono - Holy Ground

Sorry, this is the whole performance, but it is SO worth the watch.

Explosions in the Sky - Your Hand in Mine

Sigur Rós - Glósóli

One of the first bands to be coined with the genre term post-rock, but a different, more jazzy, take on the genre (this is one of my favorite live concerts on YouTube):

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

Polderprog.

Headshakingly weird and disjointed, but still fun with its many differently styled sections. A brass rocker? A pop ballad? A jazz impro?
Ekseption: "Pop giant"  (and no: it's not "Pop Giant". Not in Holland in 1970; one had principles back then. 😁 )

Sheer beauty to my ears, with luvverly chord progression and a gtr to die for:
Focus: "Sylvia"

Weird and wonderful, the Canterbury related Supersister, here with a radio hit, but let that not lure you: it has definitive, weird prog bits:
Supersister: "Radio"

• Like 1

another candidate for a terrible genre name - "shoegaze"

my bloody valentine – only shallow

Ride - Leave Them All Behind

Slowdive - When the Sun Hits

• Like 2