Why become a member? ×

New Cort Space Headless Model

BassApprentice

In case this is of interest to anyone - seems Cort have just released a new headless bass - looks pretty cool and for £700 seems fairly reasonable stacked against Ibanez etc. So new that there's nothing about it on the Cort website 😅

BassDirect have a Star Dust Black model after the green sold whilst it was typing!

image.png.4f3e658b88f9bb2cd9b7a43ee87683be.png

• Like 14

Spotted this yesterday online and was by chance going to BassDirect that day anyway.

I tried it out - here's my summary from 5 mins with it:

Good

Good setup

Sounded better than expected (compared to EHBs with Barts)

Cool shape, love the contouring

Pretty thick top

Fairly light

Pretty cheap for the spec

Bad

Several loose pots

Tuners were a bit too tight to adjust easily

Satin finish will very likely be quite fragile (same as Ibanez EHBs), make this with a gloss finish and multiscale and i'd get one.

image.thumb.png.3721f31265a646b16950dc55440be307.png

image.thumb.png.5e1230e1af2233c62a677849e601fe1f.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Sounds about right for a first run of models that have literally just come through the door -  would have expected BassDirect to at least check the pots when unpacking but that's a 2 minute job.

I'm sure if they sell well enough you'll see more versions (multi-scale, fretless etc.)

8 minutes ago, BassApprentice said:

Sounds about right for a first run of models that have literally just come through the door -  would have expected BassDirect to at least check the pots when unpacking but that's a 2 minute job.

I'm sure if they sell well enough you'll see more versions (multi-scale, fretless etc.)

They were photographed and then repacked. They would have been checked before being sent out however.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, itu said:

String spacing of the 5?

I think it's 19mm - Shame as I have become acclimatised to 16.5mm. I will however arrange to get these video reviewed.

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, itu said:

String spacing of the 5?

Ah yes, just checked, the spec on the BD website:

•Origin: Indonesia

•Year: 2024

•Body Material: Mahogany with poplar burl facing

•Colour: Star dust green

•Finish: Satin

•Neck Finish: Satin

•Neck Material: Roasted maple, walnut, purpleheart 7 piece

•Fingerboard: Roasted maple

•Inlays: Dots

•Pickups: Bartolini

•Electronics: Markbass

•Controls: Volume (push/pull active passive), pickup pan, bass, middle, treble

•Pickguard: N/A

•Hardware: Black

•Gig Bag/Case: Gig bag

•Accessories: Tools

•Frets: 24

•String Spacing: 19mm

•Nut Width: 47mm

•Scale Length: 34”

•Weight: 7lb16oz/3.7kg

• Thanks 1

Went to Bass Direct today for a play on the Cort and a chat with Mark, who I haven't seen for ages. There was both a green and a black one in there, the black had just arrived so I had a play on the green. Knobs and tuners seemed fine, the MK-1 Barts sound clean and clear. The treble control on the preamp didn't seem to do much but the amp and speaker I was playing through didn't have a lot of treble itself.

The obvious comparison is with the Ibanez EHB series. The EHB's 1005 and 1265 only have multiscales or fretless (there was a single-scale EHB1005 but that has disappeared from Ibanez's current lineup), the EHB1505 is available as single or multiscale. Neck profiles are very similar. Quality is similar. The MK-1 Barts are superior to the BH-2 Barts on the EHB 1005 and 1265, and similar quality to the Nordstrands - they do sound a bit different so listening is advisable. However, as the Cort Space is £700 from BD (RRP is £750), and the Ibanez EHB1505 is £1370, there's £670 available for changing the pickups. The EHB1005MS is £1120-£1200 depending on finish, and the pickups are inferior.

One trick that Cort have missed out on is putting a second strap button below the tuners, as per Status, Sei, Steinberger, or Hohner. This allows you to stand the bass up without worrying about damaging the finish. Still, it's something that's easily done at very little cost.

Conclusion - if I'd not already got the EHB1265, my 2024 gear abstinence may have come to an abrupt end. If you want a multiscale headless, it has to be an EHB (or a Boden for £3k). If you want a single-scale instrument then the Cort offers similar quality and a similar feel for half the money, and no irritating locking jack socket. I might yet get one when they start popping up on the second-hand market for £400.

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds great on that Bass the World review.

3.7 kg - that's super light!

Been very tempted to get a headless for a while but, despite being a huge Ibby fan, was never really sold on their EHB range. This at £700 on the other hand... will be getting added to my 2024 wish list! 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

I was really impressed at the guitar show to be fair, the neck is beautiful. It felt better quality than the EHB I tried, well the knobs were solid on the Cort at least! Spacing felt wider than I expected, but I don't mind that. It was only let down by the strings tbh, I don't know what they are, but they felt rough and horrible. 

• Like 1