Why become a member? ×

Best Geezer Butler bassline

lidl e

21 minutes ago, Misdee said:

Well, there's no bad Geezer Butler bass playing, but for me the Heaven And Hell/Mob Rules era was his zenith. 

I have always thought the albums after Paranoid up until when Dio joined the band really suffered from Geezer's bass being way too indistinct and lost in the mix. You can hardly hear what he's doing most of the time. The first two albums and then the ones from Heaven And Hell onwards you can make out every note.

I was listening to the remixes on spotify the other day. The 2009 remixes really brjng out the bass. The 2021 are good also but i prefer the 2019 early album remixes through headphones 

I always liked the intro to Juniors Eyes from the Never say Die album - In the late 70’s, a friend had that album and is the first Sabbath album I really got into. I then worked my way backwards 😇 Favourite album is probably Sabbath Bloody Sabbath but Never Say Die is still up there for me. Don’t ask me why…….

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dmz said:

I always liked the intro to Juniors Eyes from the Never say Die album  

Classic Rickenbacker bassline there, despite Geezer insisting he only played the Rick live as a one-off 😄

I do like NSD, it's a bit clumsy in places and the production is strangely hollow but credit to them for trying to expand their sound. Swinging The Chain is a killer song, apart from Bill Ward's bizarre screams.

NSD certainly has it's moments. I really like the title track and Hard Road. Probably fair to say that it's what could have been a really good album that was ruined to a  certain extent by what the band had been through by that time and the state they were in by the time they recorded it.

Edited by Misdee

5 hours ago, dmz said:

I always liked the intro to Juniors Eyes from the Never say Die album - 

One of my fave Geezer basslines as well !

I also like his bass work on the song Heaven and Hell (not to mention the entire album)...very tasty parts throughout

also, if youve never seen this, its a must:

Edited by Rib13Bass
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

Another vote for "Fairies Wear Boots", even though Volume 4 is my favourite album. 

Honourable mention for the opening to "TV Crimes" (Dehumaniser)

Dehumanizer is a killer bass album, but the fader does seem to have had a bit of a nudge on TV Crimes!

• Like 2

I only saw Sabbath twice . ( Dio 1980 hammy odeon / Ozzy Hyde park 2014) 

Up in the balcony for the Hammy O gig and hated it . Prefer Dio solo and saw him quite a few times over the years. 
Saw Ozzy solo a few times over the years also . 

So having said that , when I saw sabbath at Hyde Park I think Geezer was the driving force on the night .

Sabbath played a blinder, but being not too far from the band , Geexer was phenomenal . 

I was listening to all my brothers sabs albums in the '70s and eventually I now have all the Ozzy era sabs studio albums .

Dio era sabs not for me , although the neon nights singke is immediately punchy . Trouble with Dio, he was not a proper producer and he ruined some of his albums . Live Evil I did have , but moved it on . Preferred speak of the devil . I don't play that now.
The production of some of the early sabbath albums was poor imho. Myself and a few friends were asking whether Bill ward was playing on buckets on master of reality . My fave is vol 4 . As for what is Geezers best baseline ..too many to choose from .

fwiw, I never gave sabbath much consideration , when it became Tony and friends . I may have to have a listen to the stuff I've missed.

many killer geezer bass lines probably 🙂

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE said:

I only saw Sabbath twice . ( Dio 1980 hammy odeon / Ozzy Hyde park 2014) 

Up in the balcony for the Hammy O gig and hated it . Prefer Dio solo and saw him quite a few times over the years. 
Saw Ozzy solo a few times over the years also . 

So having said that , when I saw sabbath at Hyde Park I think Geezer was the driving force on the night .

Sabbath played a blinder, but being not too far from the band , Geexer was phenomenal . 

I was listening to all my brothers sabs albums in the '70s and eventually I now have all the Ozzy era sabs studio albums .

Dio era sabs not for me , although the neon nights singke is immediately punchy . Trouble with Dio, he was not a proper producer and he ruined some of his albums . Live Evil I did have , but moved it on . Preferred speak of the devil . I don't play that now.
The production of some of the early sabbath albums was poor imho. Myself and a few friends were asking whether Bill ward was playing on buckets on master of reality . My fave is vol 4 . As for what is Geezers best baseline ..too many to choose from .

fwiw, I never gave sabbath much consideration , when it became Tony and friends . I may have to have a listen to the stuff I've missed.

many killer geezer bass lines probably 🙂

Im very much the same. When it comes down to it, Sabbath is my number one, but only Ozzy era and Only the first 5. I dont have much time for Never Say Die or Technical Ecstasy 

I do like Dio solo. In fact my first ever concert was Dio. Just not the Sabbath stuff.

Edited by lidl e
  • Like 1