Why become a member? ×

Best Geezer Butler bassline

lidl e

1 hour ago, lidl e said:

Dang. Maybe it's Thrill of it All.

It's almost certainly on Sabotage whatever it is. 

Sabotage is my favourite Sabbath album, in fact it's possibly my favourite album ever, but I think Geezer's best work is on the earlier one-take albums with little in the way of overdubs or extravagant production. 

I'll probably go for Master Of Reality as Geezer's finest hour, the whole album is one long bass solo.

Edited by Cosmo Valdemar
  • Like 2

Difficult one, as there's so many.

My favourite album is Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, but I still think the bass intro to N.I.B. is still superb, and the bass sound captured is brilliant (IMO).

Notable mention for the song "No More Tears".

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Sabotage is my favourite Sabbath album, in fact it's possibly my favourite album ever, but I think Geezer's best work is on the earlier one-take albums with little in the way of overdubs or extravagant production. 

I'll probably go for Master Of Reality as Geezer's finest hour, the whole album is one long bass solo.

I think on Masters side A lets down the epic side B.

Can't argue with the groove on Lord of this World though

13 minutes ago, Skybone said:

Difficult one, as there's so many.

My favourite album is Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, but I still think the bass intro to N.I.B. is still superb, and the bass sound captured is brilliant (IMO).

Notable mention for the song "No More Tears".

I listened to the song The Warning in headphones the other day and his bass tone is impeccable. Literally perfect.

Same sessions as NIB so likely all the same kit

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Doctor J said:

It's Spiral Architect, but thanks for asking.

Interesting choice.

I dont love the strings arrangement on this tune, personally. 

Of the big 5 Sabbath Albums (ozzy era not including Technical ecstasy  [weak] and Never say Die [also not great to me]) sabbath Bloody sabbath is my least favourite because of some of the production choices.

Although Sabra Cadabra is maybe ozzy's second finest moment (after hole in the sky)

• 1 month later...

Well, there's no bad Geezer Butler bass playing, but for me the Heaven And Hell/Mob Rules era was his zenith. 

I have always thought the albums after Paranoid up until when Dio joined the band really suffered from Geezer's bass being way too indistinct and lost in the mix. You can hardly hear what he's doing most of the time. The first two albums and then the ones from Heaven And Hell onwards you can make out every note.

14 minutes ago, Misdee said:

Well, there's no bad Geezer Butler bass playing, but for me the Heaven And Hell/Mob Rules era was his zenith. 

I have always thought the albums after Paranoid up until when Dio joined the band really suffered from Geezer's bass being way too indistinct and lost in the mix. You can hardly hear what he's doing most of the time. The first two albums and then the ones from Heaven And Hell onwards you can make out every note.

Agreed. Mob Rules sounds fantastic only Sabbath Album I bought back in the day.

• Like 1

Hard to highlight any one particular bit of playing in such a long career filled with such consistency but I especially love the playing at the start of Fairies Wear Boots.