Why become a member? ×

If you could, would you be a Pro player

TheGreek

This was a joy of a thread to read,

For me, bass and playing in bands has always been an escape from whats going on around me, I don't actually have any real musical knowledge as I learnt to play from the guitar players in my band. I'd love to know more but converting my escape into my job would be a disaster.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Paul S said:

For me, absolutely not.  Even if I had started early, not late, in life - the lifestyle of a professional musician is not for me and is nothing I would ever have aspired to.  Much as I enjoy playing bass and being in a band it is purely as a hobby and on my terms.   Being a bassist is a part of my life but it doesn't define me.

I'm the opposite.  Even when I was still working I'd never tell people I was a Workers Compensation Analyst.  I would always say I'm  the bass player for Maple Road.

Daryl

• Like 2

It's easy to be wise with hindsight, but after mulling this over for a bit, I'm pretty sure I'd have gone hell-for-leather for a pro career if I'd started as a carefree teenager instead of (cough, cough) years later. I absolutely love almost all* aspects of live performance - dance, drama and music - and I think I might have done OK. 

Even if I hadn't, at least I'd have tried.

*Midnight load-outs, stroppy/drunk punters, lugging heavy gear about, hours on the road, crap hotels, colleagues with hygiene deficiencies and junk food from motorway service stations excepted, natch. But you have to take the rough with the smooth.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

I'm the opposite.  Even when I was still working I'd never tell people I was a Workers Compensation Analyst.  I would always say I'm  the bass player for Maple Road.

Daryl

I do that. "I'm the Sabotagers' bassist" sounds way cooler than "I'm a data engineer in genomic research."

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, lozkerr said:

I do that. "I'm the Sabotagers' bassist" sounds way cooler than "I'm a data engineer in genomic research."

Yep, "I'm the bass player in Fine Lines and I do the tech for Mark Radcliffe"

Far better than saying I'm an engineer.

• Like 2

I had a half-arsed go at it during the 90s. Half-arsed because I realised after a while that it really wasn't for me. I didn't have a plan B so I then just went with the flow of life and kept my eyes open for other opportunities. 

Some ups and downs along the way but I'm happy with my lot now. A great wife, two lovely sons and a rewarding job that I love. 

Music is now my me-time playtime with friends. We don't gig but we play what we want, when we want - all original ideas that could go anywhere depending on the day. Wouldn't have it any other way now.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, miles'tone said:

I had a half-arsed go at it during the 90s. Half-arsed because I realised after a while that it really wasn't for me. I didn't have a plan B so I then just went with the flow of life and kept my eyes open for other opportunities. 

Some ups and downs along the way but I'm happy with my lot now. A great wife, two lovely sons and a rewarding job that I love. 

Music is now my me-time playtime with friends. We don't gig but we play what we want, when we want - all original ideas that could go anywhere depending on the day. Wouldn't have it any other way now.

Me too - 1997 & 1998 I played full time in a function band touring Europe. Thing is we were in a a couple vans, carried our own PA, and although it was fun for a bit, as an 18 & 19 year old I remember looking at one guy who was in his 30s and had been doing it for ten plus years, and while he was an excellent musician, I didn't want to be him ten years later. So I went to University, and have played music pretty much ever since, but also with a job that pays! I suppose if we had been doing bigger gigs with someone else carrying things and running the PA it may have been different, but very very few people get gigs like that.

• Like 3

If I had ever an opportunity to make any sort of a living as a pro, then absolutely. However, whenever I had a sniff then it jut wasn't a viable opportunity at the time.  

I am currently playing with a keys player who has been a pro since being a teenager - been in a couple of signed bands (one quite famous), done loads of tours & sessions, toured with a couple of famous old MOR household name acts and then slogged around the clubs when he got a bit older, etc. He did OK out of it, but I'm certainly a bit better off financially than he is now that we're both in our 60s (me early, him late 60s). Nether the less, I would have swapped his career with mine in a heartbeat...! 

• Like 2

I was picked up in West London at 8 am, we drove in an old ex-GPO commer van to Ponteland for a gig, then we drove straight back. Got caught up in the morning rush hour coming into London. Dropped off at about 11 am.

About a year later also did the Sunderland Empire as a one-off.

Sorry but no downsides for me. We had 2 great gigs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My problem is that I can't really stand doing anything creative that I don't love, and which doesn't include lots of actual creativity. Alongside that, my tastes are not exactly mainstream. If I was technically amazing I guess I might have scraped a career as a jazz musician but I'm really not. But that's ok - if I don't depend on it for income I can play purely for pleasure, and it's a constant source of pleasure for me.

Edited by JoeEvans

17 hours ago, lozkerr said:

Actually I'd be more interested someone told me they're a data engineer in genomic research than  a bass or any other musical instrument player. Sounds perverse on a site like this but whenever someone tells me they're a musician I leave it at that 

Musician is what I am, no matter if I can make a living of it or not, music is the most important thing in my life.

Can the same be said for what most people do to earn a living, and why is it less acceptable to identify as a musician, than say a dishwasher?

I don't get it.

Why would anyone think of themself as a dishwasher?

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Musician is what I am, no matter if I can make a living of it or not, music is the most important thing in my life.

Can the same be said for what most people do to earn a living, and why is it less acceptable to identify as a musician, than say a dishwasher?

I don't get it.

Why would anyone think of themself as a dishwasher?

I see a contradiction in your question. If we exchange 'dishwasher' for musician' in your first sentence, one could very easily imagine that person thinking of themselves as being a 'dishwasher' (substitute any occupation; coal-miner, engine driver, check-out person, ditch-digger...). If it is indeed the 'most important thing' in their life, as music is to you, what's the problem..?
That's not the same when describing what one does for a living, as per your own statement; you are a musician, living from it or not. A person doing dishwashing for his/her livelihood, may well not think of themselves as being solely a 'dishwasher', but maybe a musician unable to earn a living from music (substitute any other occupation that doesn't pay the bills for 'dishwasher'...).
Anyway, I'm retired; what should I claim to be..? ;)

Around the turn of the millennium, I was in a 70's disco themed band. We were successful weekend warriors doing 2 to 3 gigs a month and had build up a good reputation locally. We were a 7 piece outfit with one male and two female singers.

The male lead singer wanted to bring his girlfriend in on backing vocals and the band just said No - so he left. We then replaced him with a far better male vocalist who took us up by several levels. He started getting us a few more gigs - but further afield. We were doing gigs alongside fully pro show bands, and putting on better shows than them. He kept telling us that we could be fully pro and eventually it came to a band vote on whether to pursue this option. I had a good, well paid job, mortgage, kids etc and although I wanted to go for it in my heart, my head (and wife) said No. The keyboard player also had to leave. It was a real shame as we were the longest serving members of the band.

It had been pointed out to us at the band meeting that we would all have to have our equipment, stage clothes etc in the backs of our cars in case we got a call saying we had a gig that night in any given part of the country.

The rest of the band did try but it didn't work out. The drummer who was only in his mid 20's ended up having a nervous breakdown. He would sometimes get home at 4,00 am and be expected at his day job at 6.00 am. People seem to overlook the gap between performing one, maybe two gigs a week, and getting up to five a week, regularly. You need to maintain the day job whilst building up the reputation and demand.

The band broke up shortly afterwards, and I still feel a gap as no subsequent band that I've been in has given me the buzz that this one did.

Looking back, not going pro was one of the best decisions that I made.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

Actually I'd be more interested someone told me they're a data engineer in genomic research than  a bass or any other musical instrument player. Sounds perverse on a site like this but whenever someone tells me they're a musician I leave it at that 

I guess it depends on your audience. In social situations, I've always had a more interested response when I say I play in a band than when I try to summarise what is a dull if esoteric job.

1 hour ago, Dad3353 said:

I see a contradiction in your question. If we exchange 'dishwasher' for musician' in your first sentence, one could very easily imagine that person thinking of themselves as being a 'dishwasher' (substitute any occupation; coal-miner, engine driver, check-out person, ditch-digger...). If it is indeed the 'most important thing' in their life, as music is to you, what's the problem..?
That's not the same when describing what one does for a living, as per your own statement; you are a musician, living from it or not. A person doing dishwashing for his/her livelihood, may well not think of themselves as being solely a 'dishwasher', but maybe a musician unable to earn a living from music (substitute any other occupation that doesn't pay the bills for 'dishwasher'...).
Anyway, I'm retired; what should I claim to be..? ;)

Then ask yourself, would anyone not making a living from washing dishes consider themself a dishwasher?

That tells you something, doesn't it?

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

15 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Then ask yourself, would anyone not making a living from washing dishes consider themself a dishwasher?

It tells me that you've not understood the contradiction. Someone not making a living from dishwashing, but for whom dish-washing is the most important thing in their life (as is your case, with music...) could well describe themselves as 'dish-washers'. Some folk do gardening as a hobby, and are very enthusiastic about it. They could see themselves as 'gardeners', whatever their source of income. Some could be 'athletes'; there are many that see themselves as 'housewives', others 'collectors'. How one sees oneself is more a matter of one's primary interest (most important thing ...) than their employment, in many case, including your own. Nothing special there; move along, or you'll block up the pavement. :friends:

Edited by Dad3353

4 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

I'm again the opposite,  I love hearing stories from musicians.  I have no interest in traditional employment. Nothing against it. I did it for 35 years and couldn't wait to retire so I would have more time for gigging. 

Even at the local level I learned early on to avoid sub pare bands and opportunities that can spoil the band experience .

Daryl

• Like 1

On 18/02/2024 at 20:40, Bluewine said:

Daryl

Sounds like being a bassist defines who you are much more so than your job Daryl, so it’s fair enough to tell people that’s what you do. 

• Like 2

On 21/02/2024 at 16:15, bassbiscuits said:

Sounds like being a bassist defines who you are much more so than your job Daryl, so it’s fair enough to tell people that’s what you do. 

Definitely 

And I knew allot more about playing bass before I knew anything about working a traditional job.

Daryl

FB_IMG_1708529216616.jpg

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 2

On 19/02/2024 at 17:26, Baloney Balderdash said:

I've just got home from two-and-a-bit weeks on tour, and judging by the way I found the kitchen on my return, I'll be considering myself a dishwasher for a fair portion of the evening 🤣

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2