Why become a member? ×

Completely Unnecessary... But Still Glorious.

binky_bass

So, today on the way home from a work trip I met a chap that sold me an amp...

That amp was a Marshall VBA400 with a Jubilee 410 and 115. The cabs have seen better days, cosmetically they have their war wounds, but the work a treat!

The amp has a few tiny little marks, but would probably rank 8.5 out of 10 for condition.

Just lugged this colossus down to the garden studio some 300ft away from the driveway (yes, my spine is now dust) and set it up. 

It's quite monstrous... it's current set at about one quarter volume and gain and its still making my ears bleed. 

Given it has 8 KT88 valves powering it I shouldn't be too surprised. Pumps out +400w of glorious Marshall valve bass goodness!

Given I play 6 string bass, and mostly prefer a more HiFi sound, I am pleasantly surprised that the 'bright' button really does hit the mark for me.

Been lusting after one of these for probably 20 years! Happy to now have one and not be disappointed.

20240207_145552.thumb.jpg.974a341d1650d96809f3035be58c705e.jpg

20240207_145602.thumb.jpg.7853158996b0edbba3253919c912ec30.jpg

20240207_145535.thumb.jpg.ac66693eecf436f41089e81840f118cf.jpg

• Like 30

I see no lack of heft in your collection, but I imagine that the VBA will sound rather glorious. I once had the pleasure of playing a festival where the supplied back line was a VBA400 and matching Marshall 8x10. 

• Like 2

There's a Bergantino 412 for sale on here that I'm tempted to pair the VBA400 with, but don't really want to get rid of the Jubilee cabs as A: They're 1987 so YOB for me and B: Sound genuinely great! 

Looking forward to giving it a proper run tomorrow at band practice, which luckily doesn't involve moving it! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JPJ said:

I see no lack of heft in your collection

I believe that this is an example of understatement? 

The question "Where has all the heft gone" is now answered, it's all at Binky's place 😀

• Haha 2

My favourite amp I’ve ever tried.

I’d never bought into the valve amp stuff so when our guitarist offered to bring his VBA in instead of my GK Fusion S, I was a little dubious. As soon as I started playing I fell in love.

Now I’ve scaled down to the Handbox WB100 which gives me about 95% of the VBA heft but at a fraction of the weight.

I do miss using it though, don’t miss needing 2 people to get it on top of the cab! 😂

• Like 1

10 hours ago, msb said:

It looks like it might be a bitch to move around , and looks like some serious business.

Beauty! 

I doubt I'll ever really move it unless I sell it. The Epifini and Berg rig on the left is the 'gig rig'. Might use the Berg or Mesa cab with the Marshall live on the odd occasion for fun, but those Marshall cabs are nearing 40 years old and deserve an easy ride at least while in my custody! 

• Like 1

I use Bergs and appreciate the size , weight , and ease of moving them around. I’m just a blue collar musician , I pack the car , drive it downtown , set it up , play , and then take it all home. No crew , just me. 

Smile every time I put one in the car.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skybone said:

Very jealous. Heard loads of good things about the VBA's, and always wanted one (and/or an Ashdown CTM).

Complete overkill, but just glorious.

I had a CTM300 that I recently sold. Great amp, but not particularly intuitive in terms of dialing in a preferred sound. The Marshall was very easy to get a great tone from. Personal preference, but as it stands, I definitely prefer the Marshall to the CTM300. The Marshall is VERY close to the sound I had from my Mesa Strategy Eight:88. 

If you ever need a re-tube you'll have to take out a mortgage!!  I left all tube amps behind decades ago but I do like to have a tube somewhere  in my signal chain. :)

I hope it keeps you happy for a little while before you start lusting after something else. LOL

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, BassmanPaul said:

I hope it keeps you happy for a little while before you start lusting after something else. LOL

Truer words were never spoken! Reckon I've been through 150+ amps over the years and (without exaggeration) 2000+ basses/guitars. GAS fears me.

• Haha 1

I've been playing since I was sixteen in 1962. Yes I'm ancient!  I've only been through a handful. :)

Mind you, I have designed and built several of them. I also just didn't have the funds to spare for equipment. Especially after moving to Toronto  with a wife and two small boys. At one time, thankfully now long ago, my day job paid the mortgage and the band put food on the table. LOL

Enjoy your new amp but  don't get a hernia lifting it! :D

Edited by BassmanPaul

My 'journey' has been largely based on chopping and changing things over the years - a few single investments here and there and then it was just a matter of selling something and buying something else or trading etc. so not a huge total outlay, just a lot of swapping things about! Means you can try a lot of great gear for minimal cost. 👍 

That's a monster set up. I used to own a Marshall 200W amp with four KT88's. It's crazy isn't it, I can't be bothered to take my Hartke 3500 to gigs because of the weight and don't use back linbe at all at most gigs but still hanker after stuff like this. Just typing KT88 makes me go all weak :)

Yeah, I doubt I'll ever gig the Marshall, I might once just for the sake of it, but the Epifini UL901 and Bergantino 410 cab are probably going to be the 'gig rig'. Easy enough to move about. 

The Marshall is an amp I've always wanted, so when it came up (with the cabs) for a pretty irresistible price, and at a location on the way home from a business trip, I wasn't strong enough to resist!

• Like 1