Why become a member? ×

Pickup upgrades!

Billy Woodfield

Depending on what you're looking at spending.......

I'd look at changing your electrics first and would whole heartedly recommended a ki0gon loom, as would a load of other people on this forum. The looms are solder less, so there's no hard work to do. If you fancied changing the pups later, the set you choose will just drop in nice and easily. I haven't played them, but the toneriders Lozz mentioned get rave reviews.

Other than that, I'd look at the EMG GZR's. They're based on Geezer Butlers P bass pups from the late 60s. I've had the P set and they're fantastic. They come with all the electrics too and are plug and play, not a hint of soldering in sight.

Have you tried adjusting the EQ on your amp or using old rounds/flatwounds/half round strings?

For years I fiddled, swapped, "upgraded" and generally tinkered with pretty much every bass I owned until I realised that the right bass for me was the one that I had in my hands at the time and the best way to get a particular tone was to adjust the EQ. (fuzzy,modulated and wobbly sounds aside) Unless something is broken or faulty I don't touch it anymore.

On the other hand if your pots are scratchy or the pickup doesn't work then go for it. I prefer things that I don't have to solder so that makes it either EMG pickups, premps etc  or Six String Supplies prewired harnesses and a set of pickups in the event that I do have to change anything out of necessity

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Expensive option Fender Custom Shop 62s

Reasonable price option Toneriders

The Toneriders sound very similar to the Fenders at a fraction of the price.

Yup.  Having fitted them to a bass and being blown away, Toneriders would always be my first choice now.  Certainly the P, not tried the J.

£?

Sound-4-Pound... Tone Rider PJ £35 / £30

https://tonerider.com/product/pj-plus-set/

More £... Kent Armstrong Vintage £58 / £58

https://www.armstrongmusic.co.uk/products/hot-vintage-p-bass-pickup-alnico

https://www.armstrongmusic.co.uk/products/hot-vintage-jazz-pickup-rear

Less £... Wilkinson Alnico V £24 / £24

https://www.vansonguitars.com/products/wilkinson-wpb-premium-range-alnico-v-bass-pickups-for-pb-type-guitars-precision-bass

https://www.vansonguitars.com/products/wilkinson-wjb-premium-range-alnico-v-bass-bridge-pickup-for-jb-type-guitars-jazz-bass-bridge

I'd also consider a Pot Upgrade or Replacement Loom... VVT or VBT?.. and while you are at it fit a Pure Tone Multi-Contact Jack Socket...

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 1

I can't speak of J pickups, but I know for a fact that there is quite a difference in character between a Fender 60's era P pickup and a 70's era P pickup.

That said, as someone else suggested, I can warmly recommend the EMG Geezer Butler P/J pickup set.

The P is modeled after an original Fender 1960 P pickup, and it sounds no short of amazing.

Also the pickups are shielded internally and feature shielded wiring as well, that is the ground running as a braided shield all along the insulated hot wire, so even installed in a bass that otherwise hasn't been properly shielded the pickups will be dead quiet.

And the solder free connections makes this set very easy and fast to install as well.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

On 03/02/2024 at 15:51, Jonesy said:

Other than that, I'd look at the EMG GZR's. They're based on Geezer Butlers P bass pups from the late 60s. I've had the P set and they're fantastic. They come with all the electrics too and are plug and play, not a hint of soldering in sight.

They are not though, the P pickup is a pretty exact copy of the original P pickup in Bobby Vega's 1960 P Bass, with some modern improvements, such as being internally shielded, and who knows what the split humbucking J pickup in the Geezer P/J set is based on.'

Regardless though they do sound amazing.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

On 03/02/2024 at 14:12, Billy Woodfield said:

Hi All, looking at putting some new pickups in my squeir PJ. 

ideally looking for a vintage 60s/70s sound. 

Anyone have any recommendations? 

Cheers

Please quantify 'vintage 60s/70s sound'.  What tone are you actually chasing?  Ponk?  Clank?  Mwaaaaah?

You have to realise that Fender were never so hot or consistent with how they wound pickups and remember this is a company that signed off on putting Stratocaster pickups in Musicmaster/Mustang basses as they had a huge surplus of them.

As I've posted elsewhere, it's really not worth 'upgrading' unless the pickups are dead or have failed.  It's just one facet in the signal chain.

Save your money.

• Like 1

Don't let anyone talk you out of it if you want to upgrade.

I did, and my Squier's twice the bass it was before.

Sure, the stock pickups are okay, but do you want okay or do you want something special?

Dimarzio Relentless 

Picsart_23-08-31_19-03-18-204.jpg

PhotoCollage_1700650676430.jpg

Edited by jd56hawk

First thing I'd do is put a set of Labella flats on and a lump of foam.

If that doesn't work I'd replace the Precision pickup with Bartolini and disconnect the J.

You'll get such a great sound out of the Barts and you won't notice the missing J.

On 03/02/2024 at 14:51, Jonesy said:

I'd look at changing your electrics first and would whole heartedly recommended a ki0gon loom, as would a load of other people on this forum. The looms are solder less, so there's no hard work to do.

Much as I admire @KiOgon s work, I don't think he would argue that his looms are a tone upgrade. In saying that, if upgrading the pups you might want to upgrade the other electronic items as well and in that case, @KiOgon should be your port of call if soldering is not your thing.

Edited by Chienmortbb
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, chris_b said:

You'll get such a great sound out of the Barts and you won't notice the missing J.

I only use my J pickup once in a blue moon to check it is still working (it is). I often wonder how much the loading of the J pickups affects the sound of the P even when the volume is at zero?  I must do some circuit analysis, or I could noodle on my bass....

31 minutes ago, Chienmortbb said:

Much as I admire @KiOgon s work, I don't thin he would argue that his looms are a tone upgrade. In saying that if upgrading the pups you might want to upgrade the other electronic items as well and in that case, @KiOgon should be your port of call if soldering is not your thing.

Different value caps and pots have an impact on your tone for sure. If you went with one of his tone bypass looms then you'll hear a bigger impact again. Seeing as the signal from your pups passes through the guts of your guitar, I'd say looms can have a noticeable impact on how your guitar sounds.

Whether that difference is audible to anyone but the guitar owner is another thing. As with all of this modding malarky - 'upgrade' is a subjective term. You'll definitely hear a difference and the more noticeable upgrade is probably having a more responsive sweep from your volume and tone pots.

Edited by Jonesy

On 04/02/2024 at 10:47, Baloney Balderdash said:

They are not though, the P pickup is a pretty exact copy of the original P pickup in Bobby Vega's 1960 P Bass, with some modern improvements, such as being internally shielded, and who knows what the split humbucking J pickup in the Geezer P/J set is based on.'

Regardless though amazing sounding pickups.

Ah, I didn't know that! When I was looking for a set about 10 years ago I thought I remembered seeing something about them being based on one of his old P basses - that was 10 years ago, mind! 

1 hour ago, Jonesy said:

Different value caps and pots have an impact on your tone for sure. If you went with one of his tone bypass looms then you'll hear a bigger impact again. Seeing as the signal from your pups passes through the guts of your guitar, I'd say looms can have a noticeable impact on how your guitar sounds.

Whether that difference is audible to anyone but the guitar owner is another thing. As with all of this modding malarky - 'upgrade' is a subjective term. You'll definitely hear a difference and the more noticeable upgrade is probably having a more responsive sweep from your volume and tone pots.

My point was that the actual wiring has little effect as a sound upgrade. The workmanship on @KiOgon's looms is superb and in many cases a worthwhile upgrade, but there would be little difference in the sound to a bass without a loom but with an identical circuit. In fact, you need to be careful when laying out a loom that the innate tidiness does not cause unintended problems. @KiOgon is experienced enough to know this and if you want an easy, trouble free installation, one of his looms is a no-brainer. The other advanatge of @KiOgans looms is that it looks nice inside your bass, but only you can decide how much that is worth to you.

Yeah, if you're replacing like for like in terms of resistance then the change would be pretty inaudible and pointless. Not sure why someone would do that unless there's an issue with the current guts though. 

On 06/02/2024 at 09:56, Jonesy said:

I do agree, although it is the values of the components that matter. There is no magic in Orange Drop capacitors or any particular make of pots. The law or taper does matter, though.