Why become a member? ×

Don't be a bass snob!

geoham

20 hours ago, asingardenof said:

Mike Rutherford using Squier Affinity guitars live is a good example of someone not fussed by the brand name (although his are modded somewhat, I'm sure). 

When I first heard about that I thought 'wow, good on him'. Then a few months later I read an article somewhere and his guitar tech has replaced the tuners (gotoh), bridge, pickups (fender noiseless) and electronics (CTS).............but apart from that it's a bog standard £100 guitar 😂

Still, not to get away from the point of the thread - it's a great time to be playing an instrument. Despite all of the recent price increases for the big boys, the lower end of the market is producing fabulous guitars and there's no need to pay big bucks for a guitar nowadays. 

• Like 2

RE: Snobs - ignore - they are annoyed because you are achieving with pennies what they shelled pounds out for and are looking for a way to make themselves feel better by trying to bring you down.  Don't let them, pity them instead and the crushing insecurity they live with on a daily basis.

• Haha 3

27 minutes ago, Jonesy said:

When I first heard about that I thought 'wow, good on him'. Then a few months later I read an article somewhere and his guitar tech has replaced the tuners (gotoh), bridge, pickups (fender noiseless) and electronics (CTS).............but apart from that it's a bog standard £100 guitar 😂

To be honest, I did replace the machine heads on the Sir Marcus Miller M2 with some Hipshots bought on here. The original ones stayed in tune, but had awful backlash. That put the overall price at £330 approx. I would like to replace the knobs at some point too as they are not nice but are functional.

5 minutes ago, Chienmortbb said:

To be honest, I did replace the machine heads on the Sir Marcus Miller M2 with some Hipshots bought on here. The original ones stayed in tune, but had awful backlash. That put the overall price at £330 approx. I would like to replace the knobs at some point too as they are not nice but are functional.

My gigging bass for one of my bands is a G&L Tribute JB and I love it. I've replaced the pups with Fender Pure Vintage 74s and guts with a Ki0gon loom. Was it a good bass and entirely giggable before the mods? Yup. Did I do any sort of test before and after to hear the difference? Nope. Do I think it's a better bass now? Yup. Am I slightly deluding myself to justify tinkering? Probably 😂 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, kodiakblair said:

This is a lovely bass and I'm thrilled to own it 🙂

DSC_0073.JPG.8e45322df8dfcc9eb77e94377147c920.JPG

While nowhere near as pretty it's this £80 Harley Benton which gets played. The Benton neck is far more comfortable than the Fender's and it sounds better too, thanks to that brilliant (discontinued) Wilkinson single coil 🙂 Apart from changing the strings for TI flats this PB-50 remains as it was when Thomann shipped it, April 2014 😎

PB-50.thumb.jpg.3ff7eab71bde3cff1fbe8c8db146f7cd.jpg

That Paisley Precision is lovely, is it the Fender MIJ RI? I've wanted one of those for a while.

I recently spent big bucks on a Vintera Telecaster Bass and I love it, but I find myself playing a Squier CV 50s Precision more at the moment. Possibly because I've only had it a week and a half, but there's something about it that I find much more enjoyable to play than any of the basses I've spent much more on.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, White Cloud said:

I'm genuinely surprised about this. Honestly, I've played gigs forever and nobody's ever cared a jot about my gear. Maybe it's because of my playing 😂

I like to think my Jazz bass is a little eye catching. A nice blue colour with a red tortoiseshell scratchplate. I've been gigging it for over 20 years, and a couple of times when I've got chatting to folk about it, I've had the question. Once after an appearance on the second stage of a minor festival, once after a pub gig. Not exactly hitting the big time!

It's Mexican made one. While there was never anything wrong with it, it's been upgraded along the way. It was my first 'proper' bass, and has been a real workhorse. It's country of manufacture is so far down my list of priorities.

22 hours ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

Indeed. I'm a placid guy too and dislike confrontation, but it really winds me up when a complete stranger dares to make snide comments about my gear.

I've had it said about my choice of amplification and cabinet at auditions.

More than once. 

"Looks old. Will it be ok/enough?"

I don't bother to rise to it.

They may not be the Emperor's  new lightweight compact clothes, but Messrs Ampeg, Markbass and Schroeder put everyone right back in their places. 

Edited by Lfalex v1.1

5 minutes ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

I've had it said about my choice of amplification and cabinet at auditions.

More than once. 

"Looks old. Will it be ok/enough?"

I don't bother to rise to it.

They may not be the Emperor's  new lightweight compact clothes, but Messrs Ampeg, Markbass and Schroeder put everyone right back in their places. 

Reminds me of my old cover band when the drummer laughed at my 1x12 TC Electronic setup. "You'll need something bigger than that to keep up with us".

He humbly ate his words afterwards to be fair!

I'm surprised to read that people are changing the parts on G&L Tributes.

I have two - L2000 and a L2500 - yes, the entry level but I have had no reason to think that the existing parts need to be upgraded. 

11 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

I have two - L2000 and a L2500 - yes, the entry level but I have had no reason to think that the existing parts need to be upgraded. 

Especially since the pickups at least are the same as are installed in the US versions.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Same here. My Tribute JB2 sounds great. I see now reason to "upgrade" hardware for the sake of it. They sound and perform great out of the box. 

Only things I need to do on mine is get it re-wired as there's a ground issue, as it's still audible when the volume is turned all the way down. And I want to replace the tuners. Actually, what I want to do is install a hipshot xtender, so whilst I'm at it, I'll replace them all with ultralites and make the bass a little lighter.

28 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

The Tributes are fantastic, especially those with MFD pups. I have an SB2 Tribute that I love, it's a sleek P bass on steroids, light and with a J neck. Perfection. 

The JB didn't need any tinkering. The reason for the change was I wanted something different from the electronics that the stock ones didn't do, rather than me not being happy with them. I had a ki0gon loom with a tone bypass in another bass, love it for some extra agg, and fancied it for this band (which is in the realms of Melvins, Jesus Lizard, Shellac). I'd also heard some good things about a series parallel switch in a J, so has that chucked in too. While I was doing that and in a quest for the most aggressive, horrible sounding, Jazz - I thought I'd chuck in the most mid heavy sounding J pups, which were the 74s.

It probably didn't need those mods, although the series parallel switch is something I'd recommend for every J.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jono Bolton said:

but I find myself playing a Squier CV 50s Precision more at the moment.

If I didn't already own several 51 type basses I'd snag one of those myself.

There's a fair few folk in various TalkBass "51/Tele bass" threads have the Squiers  and none of them were complaining 😎 A couple of the "buy to mod" crowd ventured in to say they'd bought Duncan QPs, only to discover they don't fit.

Serves them right for having such poor taste in pickups 🤣

1 minute ago, kodiakblair said:

There's a fair few folk in various TalkBass "51/Tele bass" threads have the Squiers  and none of them were complaining 😎 A couple of the "buy to mod" crowd ventured in to say they'd bought Duncan QPs, only to discover they don't fit.

Wannabe modders - where there's a will (and a Dremel) there's a way.  Amateur hour!

Just now, neepheid said:

Wannabe modders - where there's a will (and a Dremel) there's a way.  Amateur hour!

Aye, there's always a way though it's not always a great idea .

One laddie's experience sticks in my memory.

Buys his ( buzzword brand name, please click 'like' ) Duncan QP. Finds it doesn't fit so trims the flatwork rather than risk messing up the body. Installs it then realises it sounds crap 🤣

Never did hear if he found a buyer for his modded Quarter Pounder.

2 minutes ago, kodiakblair said:

Aye, there's always a way though it's not always a great idea .

One laddie's experience sticks in my memory.

Buys his ( buzzword brand name, please click 'like' ) Duncan QP. Finds it doesn't fit so trims the flatwork rather than risk messing up the body. Installs it then realises it sounds crap 🤣

Never did hear if he found a buyer for his modded Quarter Pounder.

It's the correct move - mod the thing that cost <£100 rather than mod the bass, no?

Whether or not they liked the results were neither here or there.  Also I would say that shaving a bit off the flatwork is more likely to make it fit in more basses than not, so I don't have an issue with that either if they haven't made an ar$e of it cosmetically or broken it.

1 hour ago, kodiakblair said:

I've never seen the appeal of Quarter Pounders myself; I assume people are of the belief that higher output is better somehow but they lack any subtlety or warmth imo. The reason the Matt Freeman I mentioned earlier in the thread cost me £200 was because it came with a QP fitted. I put the stock pickup back in and sold the QP (possibly on here) for 50 quid. The bass cost me £250 initially. It's part of the reason why I would only refer to 'modifications' rather than 'upgrades'; an upgrade is subjective and just because you spent an extra £100 on a new pickup, doesn't mean it better than what was there originally.

• Like 3

My 2 basses now for gigging in 3 tribute bands and one wedding band.... 

A Harley Benton MM84a

and... 

Another Harley Benton Mm84a. 

I love them basses. 

As for snobbiness..... "why do you play that Harley Benton?" 

"because it'll only cost £80 to replace when I accidentally drop it on your custom shop Fender tele..." 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Whilst I've never been a gear 'Snob' (insofar that I've always believed there are great budget choices, and would certainly never belittle anyone's gear), I think in my younger days I was made to feel like if I didn't have a more expensive bass with some prestige, I wouldn't be taken seriously as a player. And whilst expensive gear can be great, so can cheap gear. I've played fantastic and terrible examples at opposing ends of the spectrum. In retrospect though, most of the cheaper instruments I didn't like was because of fit and finish, whereas at the higher end I guess it's more just preference and what fits my taste. I've hated/loved electronics at both ends though.

Through the years, I've gotten to know what I like more, and gained more appreciation for inexpensive instruments, and I guess with age comes less inhibition about judgement from others.

I'm really enjoying the Ibanez GAXB-150 medium scale I scored recently, and also love my Yamaha BBN5 I customised. For me, Yamaha and Ibanez consistently nail the budget bass thing, offering great QC, feel, playability, and usually pretty decent electronics for the money. I had planned to change the pickups on the BB, but you know what, there's nothing wrong with them. As Josh Scott says, 'if it sounds good, it IS good!'

(Excuse the poor pictures, lighting is crappy in my cellar/music room)

PXL_20240202_212835988.thumb.jpg.274525f6f9c7d7cfe2c5306857725cdd.jpg

PXL_20240202_212919261.thumb.jpg.f4d473f676924d126c46c45dedefe3cc.jpg

I've also just been helping a local player sort her bass out. She bought an EMG PJ set for her Ibanez GSR200, but was having some trouble with the installation. She's an absolutely killer player, always sounds great, and she's been rinsing this thing bog standard for years. It feels fantastic, and she's played it so much, it has a feel on par with true 'vintage' instruments just because of how played-in it is.

Whilst this has been out of action, she's been borrowing a Yamaha TRBX174. I played that too the other week at a jam, and that absolutely blew me away for an entry level bass too.

PXL_20240202_212634910.thumb.jpg.ef40f8588737f3c112926b3df0e6c94d.jpg

If it feels good in your hands, that's the main thing in my opinion. Pickups and electronics can always be changed if necessary, which are what creates the sound/tone on a solid body instrument (without wanting to get into the ol' tonewood debate 🫣). Pretty much anything else is just paying for aesthetics/brand name/prestige, which is fine if that's what you want.

Obviously aesthetics matter to everyone, to lesser and greater degrees. But I genuinely think a lot of people would be just as happy and save money if they judged with their hands and ears first and foremost, rather than eyes/brand/price.

That said, I love my Sandberg! 🤣

Edited by TRBboy
  • Like 2