Why become a member? ×

Beginner short neck or standard?

Shiggs

Hi, I am relatively new to the bass and I am struggling with hand stretch on the top end of the board. I have read that a short neck, 30" as opposed to the standard 34" will really benifit me as a beginner. 

What are peoples thoughts?

Thanks.

Welcome.

It might just be a case of the fact that you're just not used to playing bass, and you just need to "stick with it". 

You don't mention whether you play any other instrument, so I don't know if you're just not used to playing anything, or whether you've played something else that is a bit smaller than a bass.

Certainly, if you're not used to playing, doing some finger stretches before you play may help, and then play in short bursts, say 15 mins, have a rest for a bit, then do another 15 mins.

My opinion, is start with a 4 string, 34 scale and persevere. Always the best way forward when starting out, and you can always look at options down the line when you're more comfortable.

It can be a bit uncomfortable to begin with, but honestly I would start with a standard size and scale bass.

• Like 1

When you start learning bass (or guitar for that matter which have much shorter necks) there's an initial period where you fingers struggle to stretch the distances you need them to do to play easily without constantly moving your left hand around.

Keep going long enough and eventually the 'stretch' of your fretting hand will increase.

Having said that,  every popular format of bass seems to have a shortscale versions these days. Fender are a notable exception but given the explosion in popularity of shortscale basses and the fact that companies like Sire are already making shortscale versions of Fender models I doubt it will be long before they get in on the act.

Which is a  long winded way of saying there's no real reason not to go shortscale if you try it and find it works better for you.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Shiggs said:

Hi, I am relatively new to the bass and I am struggling with hand stretch on the top end of the board. I have read that a short neck, 30" as opposed to the standard 34" will really benifit me as a beginner. 

What are peoples thoughts?

Thanks.

There's an easy way to see how a 30" short scale woudl feel for you.

Detune your 34" bass from E-A-D-G to D-G-C-F.

Apply a capo at the second fret.

You now have a roughly 30" short scale bass.

The dots will be in the wrong place but try it.

Or you can play an actual short scale in a shop.

Furthermore, if you are using 'one-finger-per-fret', try instead using 'index-middle-ring/pinkie/together' like an upright bassist, at least in the lower positions.

Edited by EssentialTension
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, EssentialTension said:

There's an easy way to see how a 30" short scale woudl feel for you.

Detune your 34" bass from E-A-D-G to D-G-C-F.

Apply a capo at the second fret.

You now have a roughly 30" short scale bass.

The dots will be in the wrong place but try it.

And with a wider neck and fewer frets than a real short scale bass.

And in most cases bigger body too.

So won't really feel like a real short scale bass would.

1 hour ago, Cato said:

When you start learning bass (or guitar for that matter which have much shorter necks) there's an initial period where you fingers struggle to stretch the distances you need them to do to play easily without constantly moving your left hand around.

Keep going long enough and eventually the 'stretch' of your fretting hand will increase.

Having said that,  every popular format of bass seems to have a shortscale versions these days. Fender are a notable exception but given the explosion in popularity of shortscale basses and the fact that companies like Sire are already making shortscale versions of Fender models I doubt it will be long before they get in the act.

Which is a  long winded way of saying there's no real reason not to go shortscale if you try it and find it works better for you.

This!

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

8 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

And with a wider neck and fewer frets than a real short scale bass.

And in most cases bigger body too.

So won't really feel like a real short scale bass would.

Yes not really a real short scale bass; I'm so glad you pointed that out just in case anyone really thought it was really real.

If you don't like the idea, don't try it.

And, anyway, it's as likely to put somone off short scale as encourage them.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

The 'physical-ness' of the bass guitar is one of its primary challenges. Make sure you're giving yourself the best chance with the correct technique (Dan Hawkins on youtube has some good tips). No one really has hands big enough to stretch on the first 5 frets, so it's just a case of getting comfortable with it. As said previously, use the DB style technique and not one finger per fret.... and don't get lazy with the pinky!

16 hours ago, Rayman said:

My opinion, is start with a 4 string, 34 scale and persevere. Always the best way forward when starting out, and you can always look at options down the line when you're more comfortable.

It can be a bit uncomfortable to begin with, but honestly I would start with a standard size and scale bass.

Exactly this.  Enjoy your journey.

I have small hands, but I play nothing but 34" scale.  If it's any help, don't waste your time trying to stick rigidly to "one finger per fret" if you're finding it challenging.  I try to do that when it's comfortable to do so, but it's not a hard and fast rule.

On 26/01/2024 at 18:26, naxos10 said:

Shiggs, where abouts are you in the Midlands as I have both long scale and short scale basses which you are welcome to try.

Im in Stoke mate.

@Shiggs I’ve seen some very petite ladies manage a full sized bass. It can be done, you have to compromise on technique and deviate away from that 100% ideal perfect kind espoused in tutor books. Exactly as Scottish-me @neepheid says. 

Example Enid from Girlschool is about 5’0 and does just fine with a p bass. Maggie from Fuzzbox is petite and just moves her hand more often 

• Like 1

If you fancy short-scale, go for it. Ignore the "real men play 34" scale" talk. 34" is only the default because that Fender fellow settled on it. Some 5 and 6 strings are 35" scale or even longer. If you are struggling with the stretch, don't give yourself RSI or make yourself miserable. I'm fortunate in that I have large hands and find 34" no trouble, but we're all different. I also started on the violin when I was very young, so had good hand and wrist flexibility before I even picked up a bass.

Head for the shops or the home of a kindly BC member, try a few and see how you get on. It's what you like that counts.

• Like 3

I started out on short scale at the age of 15, not because I was young and it was easier, that was the only bass I could afford. I had no trouble adjusting to full scale once I could play a bit. I’d say get the instrument you feel most comfortable with.

• Like 1